20 tips for getting your 8 glasses a day...

Discussion in 'Health Tips for the Martial Artist' started by Lisa, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Empty Hands

Empty Hands Senior Master

Funny you should say that, I've seen a bunch of articles on just this topic recently.

http://www.slate.com/id/2188159/

2. Fiendlover

Fiendlover Black Belt

im curious. how does this help to drink more water? "ohhhh this is pretty! i think im going to drink water in it today!"

does that really work? how do they decide that it does? why not a silver rimmed glass................? :nuke:

3. Marginal

Marginal Senior Master

The whole 8 glasses standard was the random proclamation of a 17th century king. It has no scientific merit.

4. shirobanryunotora

shirobanryunotora Yellow Belt

Hi Lisa-wow,looks like you got most covered though no.6 may be an issue for some as may overwork the kidneys and cause energy loss etc whilst no.16 and no.9 go well together too or just squeeze half a lemon in.The slightly acidic nature of citrus will help flush out toxins gathered overnight etc.

Keep in mind too that drinking soon after a meal though will dilute stomach acid and slow down digestion.From memory wait an hour or so after eating.

Agree too that overhydration may be an issue for some esp.those with lowered immune systems,kidney issues and those not so active etc.Wouldnt hurt to get some advice from your health advisor if you have any concerns.

5. shirobanryunotora

shirobanryunotora Yellow Belt

Hi-In regards to studies on the body's usage and requirements of water there is a listing in the Bibliography section of the book"Your bodies many cries for water" by F.Batmanghelidj M.D.(and yes his nickname is Dr.Batman!!) I think the book is now available via the www.watercure.com site.

Dr.Batman...apparently was one of the many incarcerated by those controlling the 1979 revolution in Iran and only released after showing the "Judges" the results of his inner prison study on water treatment of pepticulcer disease.He was eventually invited to present his discovery in 1989 to fellow scientists at the "3rd interscience World Conference on Inflammation,Antirheumatics,Analgesics and Immunomodulators".

The annual volume "Science in medicine simplified" collates the studies and research of water and metabolism though am unsure how publicily available this volume is.

His book is simply written though also containing the science and study references necessary to research this topic.Definitely a good read for those with such an interest-till the next rr.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. Stealthy

Stealthy Blue Belt

Looks like a good read thanks for the heads up.

Nothing quite like drinking H2O. Having spent many of my early years on a farm with rain water for drinking city life comes with one serious drawback, no fresh water.

Bottled drinking water comes with a plethora of chemicals to cut down on the risk of disease and thus legal suits.

This is what I use to rectify the dilemma.

http://www.lifestylelogic.com.au/sh...d=161&osCsid=8045d89dd2348dd6068a4aa51ec727fc

While a little research may turn up what seems to be "problems" associated with drinking H20, I found that a LOT of research then turns those results on their heads.

This is an extract from and the link to World Health Organization - Geneva 2004. "Health risks from drinking demineralised water".

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutdemineralized.pdf

"unsatisfactory organoleptic properities"

Which as scary as it sounds simply means unsatisfactory taste.

Naturally I disagree and am yet to hear a person complain about the taste of fresh rainwater.

"Every time" I distill 4 liters of water I am left with a glass of brown mush which goes straight down the drain rather than in my belly.

Each to their own but this is how I breath life to otherwise pretty horrid town water.

With Respect,
    Stealthy.