20 tips for getting your 8 glasses a day...

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
1/2 your weight in oz of water should be fine, especially if when excersising; for me that's 100 oz of h2o a day. I wind up using the facilities about every 1 1/2 hours.

"...

At least eight eight-ounce glasses of water a day for all adults, most of whom lose about two to three quarts (64 to 96 oz) of water every day. Athletes, people who live or work in hot environments, and people who perspire heavily lose more water and need to drink even more to keep up with the loss. "

Link to full article http://www.webmd.com/content/article/41/1671_50514.htm

splazzatch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I didn't realize that it was such a big deal or even possible to drink to much water.

I read the article in the current issue of blackbelt magazine where it talks about increasing your reaction time.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most people neglect counting the water contained in food as part of their intake. The broth in soup counts, the juice in fruits and vegetables counts, the juice in your steak and chicken counts.

The "eight glasses per day" (according to a nutritionist we consulted for Mom, the heart patient) should be in addition to the ideal average food diet which includes lots of juicy fruits and veggies. This plus the juice we get from our diets should come close to half our weight in ounces and should be appropriate for the average lifestyle. Athletes may need a bit more, but again, the important thing is electrolyte balance.

If you drink iced tea, that counts towards your "8 glasses" whereas coffee, energy drinks and other heavily caffeinated drinks count against.

Caffeine and sugar deplete hydration - avoid them during training.

That's what a nutritionist told us.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Don't over use re-usable plastic containers for they are germ beds. I heared it on the John Tesh radio show.
Sean

Really? Is this true? Germs grow in the plastic? I use a plastic Gatorade bottle for water, and I only change it out for a new one like once a month... hmm...

Prehaps I should find somthing else...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Really? Is this true? Germs grow in the plastic? I use a plastic Gatorade bottle for water, and I only change it out for a new one like once a month... hmm...

Prehaps I should find somthing else...
Cracks develope in the plastic especialy after being washed in the dishwasher.
Sean

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Don't over use re-usable plastic containers for they are germ beds. I heared it on the John Tesh radio show.
Sean

I heard the same thing. I used to reuse my bottles too, but I don't anymore.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
17. Bring a two-liter bottle of water to work and try to drink it all before you leave work. If you don't finish, drink it in traffic on the way home - it's like a race.
Errrrr........ my daily commute from my last job was an hour and a half each way, in Washington, DC traffic. If I drank that much on my way home it really would be a race :D

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Cracks develope in the plastic especialy after being washed in the dishwasher.
Sean

I just rinse mine in the sink... same issue?

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
if you use the a water bottle(like danasni, springwater, etc.) will grow germs that can make you sick and CAN KILL YOU! Do not reuse them. In a recent study it found out that 97% percent of student athletes had potentially dangerous germs growing in their water bottle. More than half of them walkshed them out with soap of put them in the dishwasher.

My science teach freaked when she saw a student who was refilling her water bottle. Needles to say eveoryone in th hall got a lecture aobut the dangers of waterbottles and the bottle is now broken in the dumpster...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoSterre said:
if you use the a water bottle(like danasni, springwater, etc.) will grow germs that can make you sick and CAN KILL YOU! Do not reuse them. In a recent study it found out that 97% percent of student athletes had potentially dangerous germs growing in their water bottle. More than half of them walkshed them out with soap of put them in the dishwasher.

My science teach freaked when she saw a student who was refilling her water bottle. Needles to say eveoryone in th hall got a lecture aobut the dangers of waterbottles and the bottle is now broken in the dumpster...
This is an urban legend.

Most water bottles are not washed properly nor allowed to dry thoroughly which is a very important part in the cleaning process.

buyu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i know that different sized ppl drink different amounts and ppl doing different activities and livin in different enviroments all must drink different amounts so how can they just generalise the amount of intake you should have a day
Water bottles so what happens with the ones you buy espeacilly for the purpose of carrying water,Im army and we carry mostly water bottles so i hope your wrong bout these bottles any way i also use a camel bak pack with pure flow system which apparently kills off the germs so this could be an answer for yall
thanks for the info on over saturation

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned today in a seminar that 1% dehydration lowers your performance by 4-5%. I thought that was a baffling amount and really made me think. You lose, on average, up to a litre of water when exercising vigorously for 1 hour. If you are 5 percent dehydrated, you are performing 20% less then you could be. Remember the "three big glugs" rule. Every 10 minutes of vigorous exercise should be followed by "three big glugs" of water.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned today in a seminar that 1% dehydration lowers your performance by 4-5%. I thought that was a baffling amount and really made me think. You lose, on average, up to a litre of water when exercising vigorously for 1 hour. If you are 5 percent dehydrated, you are performing 20% less then you could be. Remember the "three big glugs" rule. Every 10 minutes of vigorous exercise should be followed by "three big glugs" of water.
Wow is all I have to say! Thanks for sharing that Lisa!

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand the concept of loading before strenuous exercise and totally understand drinking more when it is hot but can anyone tell be if there are any studies that have been done to suggest that 8 glasses of water is required for everyday people.

Just Curious
Cheers
Sam:asian:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand the concept of loading before strenuous exercise and totally understand drinking more when it is hot but can anyone tell be if there are any studies that have been done to suggest that 8 glasses of water is required for everyday people.

Just Curious
Cheers
Sam:asian:

Actually according to ACE(American Council on Exercise), eight cups is the bare minimum that a person should take in. I have seen studies that suggest you should take in one cup for every ten pounds of body weight for a moderately active person. This is to help avoid accumulative dehydration.

woot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To get the appropriate amount of water per day you there are 2 methods. The first is you could divide your weight by half. for example 195 lbs./2=97.5 (that would be ounces). Divide that by 8 and you get the number of glasses per day (roughly 12 glasses).

or

Take your weight in pounds convert to kilograms (multiply by 2.2) then divide by your age.

195 x 2.2 = 429
429/34 = 12.6 glasses (8 oz. glasses)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen this "Eight glasses a day" thing for decades. The earliest record of it of which I'm aware is from the mid nineteenth century. But I haven't yet seen anything resembling real research saying that a normally active person eating a regular diet needs to drink a half gallon of water in addition to what comes in one's food.

It's just one of those things that everybody knows is true even when it isn't.

Latest Discussions