Water or sport drinks, which do you prefer?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am a big fan of water when working out. I can't really even imagine drinking one of those power drinks, they taste too sweet to me.

How about you? Water or a sport drink. Which sport drink do you prefer?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's water for me..The sweetned water drinks are not bad at all either...

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
I am a big fan of water when working out. I can't really even imagine drinking one of those power drinks, they taste too sweet to me.

How about you? Water or a sport drink. Which sport drink do you prefer?

I think that some quantity of power drinks such as Gatorade can be good because, unlike plain water, they have some electrolytes and carbs. to keep your energy going. I do not think ENERGY DRINKS, however, you know, the kind full of sugar, caffeine and other stimulants, are good when working out.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:

LOL, okay...

Which one is better? Anyone have a preference and do you believe they hydrate you better.

Check out this article. It states that water hydrates better then any other liquid before and during exercise. Sports drinks don't hydrate better but one tends to drink more so it leads to better hydration.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
LOL, okay...

Which one is better? Anyone have a preference and do you believe they hydrate you better.

Check out this article. It states that water hydrates better then any other liquid before and during exercise. Sports drinks don't hydrate better but one tends to drink more so it leads to better hydration.

True, but there are other considerations besides strictly hydrating. Certainly, water is best for, uh, well, adding water to your system. However, you could still tank while well hydrated if your other balances are off.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer water with a slice of citrus fruit because I'm a big fan of electrolytes and it's really important to keep them balanced.

So when I drink a "sports" drink, I like to get Powerade in either liquid form and water it down A LOT, or in powder form and mix it really weak. It's enough to keep the electrolytes up.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
True, but there are other considerations besides strictly hydrating. Certainly, water is best for, uh, well, adding water to your system. However, you could still tank while well hydrated if your other balances are off.

I did that last year at a seminar, it was hot, and though I was constantly hydrating, I completely used up/sweated out my electrolytes. I had to sit down for the last half hour of the seminar, and by the time I got back to the hotel my feet and hands were going numb, then I puked on the hotel lawn. Two bottles of gatorade and a power bar later I was good to go. At the next seminar I just sucked down the gatorade and never had a problem.

Go with the sports drink, and if the common commercial versions are too sweet, there are versions out there that the marathoners/endurance sport folks use. These tend to be less sweet, Cytomax is one that my wife likes.

Lamont

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I prefer water if it is just to hydrate, but if I need more than that (electrolytes), I like Powerade.

There was a time after a difficult hike on a caving trip, I got very sick even after drinking water (camelbak). The powerade would help but at the time, my bottle was out of reach and I went "downhill" fast (electolytes burning out). I just didn't have the energy to go for the powerade. I learned my lesson.

- Ceicei

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I'd go with sports drinks during workouts and a little afterward. Water (room temperature to cool), when I have to re-hydrate myself, otherwise. Sometimes you just want that quick galss of ice water on that hot day!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Water is definitely important... people that know me think I drink only Mt. Dew and that's just not true. I also drink Arizona brand Green Tea quite a bit too.
But during my caving trips I have a camelback that's full of water and sip from it freqently especially during one of those killer hikes to/from the cave(s) as Ceicei can attest that they are.
But like others here I find that replacing the vital salts and electroyltes that become used up during extreme exertion is also important. Thus a balanced mix is a good plan. Lots of water during the exercise period and a gatorade or poweraid type drink during the rest periods to help replace that which the body has lost and then back to water again.
In cold caves (or cold related sports like skiiing/boarding/ice climbing/etc.) it is vital to drink plenty of water and water only. Water helps thin the blood which allows body heat to travel throughout the ciculartory system faster thus keeping you warmer.
In warm temprature activities water is needed of course to help replace the fluid loss from sweating which keeps you cool.
Our bodies are 70% water by weight and volume... hard to believe but it's true. It's important to keep that balanced all the time. It also helps keep certian bodily functions soft and pliable for easy err, ejection from the body.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I prefer water with a slice of citrus fruit because I'm a big fan of electrolytes and it's really important to keep them balanced.

Great Idea! :asian:

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
water unless i'm under duress (high temp, more intense than usual workout, got the sniffles), then gatorade cut about 50/50 with water.

the ads sound like standard marketing hooey, but boy them electrolytes really help.

has anybody else here tried drinking gatorade when you're sick? i swear it does me a world of good then, too.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The thing I like specifically about Powerade is that it has a lower sodium content than Gatorade and quenches my thirst better when it's clear I'm low on electrolytes. Gatorade always seemed to make me more thirsty.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know if this thread keeps up... we'd better start asking the makers of Gatorade AND Poweraid for suitable compen$ation. :uhyeah:

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gatorade cut with water. Does anyone know of a sports drink that doesn't use high fructose cory syrup? There have been some studies that show that it makes you retain more fat. Thinking about cutting anything with it out of my diet.

Jeff

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Gatorade cut with water. Does anyone know of a sports drink that doesn't use high fructose cory syrup? There have been some studies that show that it makes you retain more fat. Thinking about cutting anything with it out of my diet.

Jeff

That is a good idea, Jeff. Thanks! See I bring those sport drinks anywhere near me when I am sweating and the thought alone makes me wanna hurl. Just something about the sweetness of them that I can't tolerate.

I will have to do some investigating about the fructose stuff. :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
You know if this thread keeps up... we'd better start asking the makers of Gatorade AND Poweraid for suitable compen$ation. :uhyeah:

Not a bad idea at that...

Latest Discussions