Your Mom Was Wrong: Horseplay Is An Important Part Of Development

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In an article published in the April issue of Current Directions in Psychological Science, Sergio and Vivian Pellis of the University of Lethbridge reviewed multiple studies involving animals, and found a link between rough and tumble play and social competence.

For example, adult rats deprived of peer interaction, (and thus rough and tumble play), reveal an inability to comprehend the hierarchy of social structures. In the rat kingdom, when a young male attempts to establish residency in a colony, he is promptly targeted for attack by the dominant male rat. Rats that have been reared with peers quickly learn to remain crouched and motionless in such an instance in order to avoid the dominant male's attention. Play deprived rats, on the other hand, continue to scurry about which ultimately invites further serious attacks.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070319111228.htm

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Horseplay is OK in my book as long as they don't poke their eyes out! :)

I'll be the manufacturer of Ritalin isn't to happy about this study. Did I mention that I'm cynical?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's a very important part of development. If you observe all young mammals, they horseplay and wrestle around. Watch any animal show and they'll show young lions, tigers, wolf's, hyenas, zebras, you name it, horsing around. (No pun intended...heh) They get rough and figure things out. It's an essential part of their development. Human children do that naturally too. As long as they're not killing each other let 'em have some fun! It's good for them! :)

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it's a very important part of development. If you observe all young mammals, they horseplay and wrestle around. Watch any animal show and they'll show young lions, tigers, wolf's, hyenas, zebras, you name it, horsing around. (No pun intended...heh) They get rough and figure things out. It's an essential part of their development. Human children do that naturally too. As long as they're not killing each other let 'em have some fun! It's good for them! :)

Absolutly, when my girl comes crying to me about being picked on I say "well go give it them back then". The school have a policy of breaking everything up though, I'm just glad she has a chance at messing about like that in her sparring sessions. (Our kids sparring is more like horseplay than structured).

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Horseplay is a part of growing up! I watch my three nephews (15, 12, and 4) go at it all the time and it is quite entertaining. The 15 year old never tries to really hurt the 4 year old (sorry to say I can't say the same about how he treats the 12 year old). But it is great to see the little one still try to hold his own. They are definitely bonding during this time (in one of those weird ways that guys bond) and to know how to have fun, be competitive, and still be in control of one's self are all important life lessons.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everyone seems to agree with these findings in animals. However, there can be a disconnect from some people when the same findings are applied to humans. For many people of certain ideological persuasions, it is extremely important that our behavior and development be malleable and conditioned by the environment, as opposed to innate in any way. This leads to tragedy on occasion, as well as some children being prevented from engaging in this harmless and beneficial developmental step.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anytime people let ideology trump science and reality, they are in big trouble no matter what they do.

Trying to deny what we are because we think we should be something much greater is a tragedy. I am a mammal and quite proud of it :)

But to force children to be something that nature has dictated they are not, that is abuse.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bring back the days when we sat in the front seat with our parents and you mom's arm was the only seat belt/child restraint! :)

Getting hurt is part of the learning experience.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutly, when my girl comes crying to me about being picked on I say "well go give it them back then". The school have a policy of breaking everything up though, I'm just glad she has a chance at messing about like that in her sparring sessions. (Our kids sparring is more like horseplay than structured).

Just as an indication of how crazy administrators can get about this sought of thing. A few years ago a school here in Canberra instituted a policy for their primary school of no touching in the playground. Kids could run around and such but could not actually touch each other. I wonder what sought of people they are going to turn out to be?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is an interesting quote by Dave Grossman in his book On Combat that I am reading now.

When I was little playing cops and robbers, I said bang, bang, I got you. Jimmy." Jimmy said, "no you didn't." So I said, "Well Bang, bang. Now I got you." Again he argued that I didn't. So I smacked him with my cap gun, and after he went home crying to his mother I got in big trouble. Along the way I learned one of life's important lessons, a lesson that had to be taught over and over again: Jimmy is real, Sally is real, and Fido is real, and if I hurt them, I'm going to get into big trouble.

For thousands of years kids have whacked each other with wooden swords, or played "bang, bang, I got you." This was healthy play because as soon as someone got hurt the play stopped, and all the kids gathered around and tried to convince him not to tell momma. Today kids are immersed in a virtual reality enviroment where they repeatedly blow their virtual, hyperrealistic, playmates' heads off in explosions of blood and gore. Do they get into trouble? No. They get awarded points! This is pathological and dysfunctional play.

Something to think about, eh?

Latest Discussions