Your Environment

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In another thread on high kicks, a member commented that he noticed and was surprised that some people were unwilling to talk about their environment and the range when it comes to applying a technique.

IMO, regardless of how many times we have thrown a kick, punch or done a technique, we need to be sure that the conditions are right. I noticed some giving the impression that no matter what the conditions, the technique would work. Personally, I find that hard to believe, that the same move is going to work if you're in an open area or crowded bar, without making any adjustments.

So, what are your thoughts? Do you take the environment into consideration? Do you adapt to the situation or feel that everything will always work, all the time?

Mike

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, what are your thoughts? Do you take the environment into consideration? Do you adapt to the situation or feel that everything will always work, all the time?

Mike

Yes, you have to take the environment into consideration - footing, distance, comparative size, location (are there people around who can help?), numbers (of assailants, of family/friends, etc.), the situation itself (for example, I might use a totally different technique on a half-drunk guy who followed me out of a bar and wanted to kiss me than a sober guy trying to rape me... I mean, think about it), and so on.

While I have techniques that I consider myself to be better at, that I am most comfortable with in high-stress situations, that doesn't mean that I am only going to use those techniques - if I can't change my techniques to match my situation, then I haven't learned a vital lesson.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
A Martial Artist should always be aware of his/her surroundings, if he is not aware then he is not complete as a martial artist...he/she is merely a fan of a cardio workout.

Karate No Michi

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sure, environment is an important consideration in how you fight. In fact it's a vital tool when you think about it, as you are always grounded somehow. Some fighters love going to ground, but you wouldn't if it were strewn with broken glass. Some fighting styles want to be in open spaces, others prefer limited room. There are often tools in the environment that can be used as improvised weapons. If you can utilise the environment in a fight, it's a huge advantage... there is a reason why most sporting teams prefer playing at home! ;-)

Oddly enough, i feel more comfortable with more than one person facing me in a smallish area... i've more than once in that situation managed to tangle my opponents up with each other and show a clean set of heels.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are some styles that take up little space. Look at Wing Chun, it is based around ecnomy of movement, thus it takes up a minimum of space. So, there may be some validity in that statment. However, Wing Chun doesn't include high kicks, so... It's all in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I have something to grab onto like a hand rail or something, I'm more likely to attempt certain techniques as I'm braced and more mobile in that I'm still supported by two limbs if I attempt, say, a high kick or series of kicks. It's tough but maybe a good idea to spar in a narrow hallway, but maybe not so much a flight of stairs.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really a key question, Mike. I think this environment you're speaking about is really our first line of self defense. Sufficient awareness can keep me out of danger all together, and the opposite, having my head in the clouds, can set me up as a potential target.

Beyond that, I try to take in:

*Hard objects (furniture, etc.) that may provide dangers;
*Innocent people that could get hurt (for example, are there little old ladies or children in line behind me?--if so, I can't back up because that would knock them down, so such things can limit my range of motion);
*How solid the footing is (may have to do with whether I'm wearing sturdy shoes or flip flops, also);
*Number of attackers relative to their space: The more of them in the smaller space, the better, as this will probably hamper their access. Several attackers with a lot of room means the job of watching my back is constantly changing;
*If I'm in a confined space (such as between cars), are they both in front and behind me? If so, have to move fast to neutralize one or the other, so no one has a free shot from behind--even a much smaller man can tackle a bigger guy from behind around the knees pretty easily;
*If there are onlookers, can I strike the right balance between humility and firmness to deescalate the situation, and leave the other guy's ego intact, avoiding a nasty situation altogether?
*Relative threat: if these are hard-core repeat offenders who smell blood in the water (e.g., because no one is around and they outnumber me, and probably have a weapon or two), the threat level is very high and so my need to take action is imminent. If it's a soft-core group just posturing, can I talk us all out of it, so they don't feel forced to act in order to save face?

In my experience, there won't be time to plan or consciously think about which actual physical techniques/principles/moves I will end up using. Whatever opening presents itself will be what I go for, with the understanding that I am limited by the moves I know and have trained well enough to pull off under high-stress conditions--and of course, I'm limited by all those environmental factors above. :)

Anyway, I'm sure many factors that I should and maybe would consider if present have been left off this list. But am just as sure others will correct me and fill in the blanks. ;)

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If the situation is serious enough you could analyze how to use the surroundings against the attackers. Improvised weapons. Pavement & concrete sould be your ally if you study throws.

_Don Flatt

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
absolutly you must adjust to your enviroment. but you also need to make sure that you are only fighting be cause you must. if you are in a big gymnasium you may be able to jump around and spin through the air without worrying about anyone else. if your in a resturaunt then you will not be able to do those things.