Your Enemy Is Training...

D

Deleted member 39746

Perhaps it's called Tongue Fu.

the technqiue of the venom toungue more like.

Agree; arguing for the sake of arguing is unproductive; but we all do it, unconsciously at times. It never hurts to point that out to someone even though the attempt may be fruitless.
Its important as far as i am concerned, need to question things not established as fact(and even then question them)the lack of the former leads to mc dojos and martial arts being applied to martially inspired dance and not just about fighting people. Still love the old challange everyone to a duel thing, but times change.

Addendum: This is if we apply the principle to martial arts, it holds true to many subjects. But this is actual argueing and questioning not "your stupid" each time.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, it will NOW!
Tongue Fu was a book my friend Sam Horn wrote. (Samantha)

It’s like the book Verbal Judo (I think that’s the proper title)

Both pretty good reads. Both deal with diffusing situations when it can be done verbally.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tongue Fu was a book my friend Sam Horn wrote. (Samantha)

It’s like the book Verbal Judo (I think that’s the proper title)

Both pretty good reads. Both deal with diffusing situations when it can be done verbally.
We used Verbal Judo to train service reps. A lot of good information that is very practical. Not familiar with the other one (Tongue Fu).

D

Deleted member 39746

We used Verbal Judo to train service reps. A lot of good information that is very practical. Not familiar with the other one (Tongue Fu).

No idea why its called verbal judo, when its rhetoric and arguing. Arguing is a specfic subject, so is influencing people etc. Its a mixture of psychology, english and philsophy. Depends on which you would cover, how to form a argument is part of logic so phislophy, how to convince people is technically english. The science of why it works, is philisophy.

And like philosphy there are a million people out there who claim to know it and do it, who have zero formal education in it. and books on it are many and quality is varied. (been lucky the psych books i have gotten have gotten good reviews, granted ones closer to a science of book and covers examples of the principles, the other is a persuasion book. )

Addendum: Forgot to mention the academic books, the really over prices books students are mandated to buy and dont use nearly enough of it to warrant the purchase, i have not gotten one of them. (although the crimninology books tempt me so greatly) Its the book version of military trainers, rain or shine they will always have a market.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No idea why its called verbal judo, when its rhetoric and arguing. Arguing is a specfic subject, so is influencing people etc. Its a mixture of psychology, english and philsophy. Depends on which you would cover, how to form a argument is part of logic so phislophy, how to convince people is technically english. The science of why it works, is philisophy.

And like philosphy there are a million people out there who claim to know it and do it, who have zero formal education in it. and books on it are many and quality is varied. (been lucky the psych books i have gotten have gotten good reviews, granted ones closer to a science of book and covers examples of the principles, the other is a persuasion book. )

Addendum: Forgot to mention the academic books, the really over prices books students are mandated to buy and dont use nearly enough of it to warrant the purchase, i have not gotten one of them. (although the crimninology books tempt me so greatly) Its the book version of military trainers, rain or shine they will always have a market.
It's Verbal Judo because that's the title of the book. It's not at all about rhetoric or arguing. In fact, it's the opposite.

D

Deleted member 39746

It's Verbal Judo because that's the title of the book. It's not at all about rhetoric or arguing. In fact, it's the opposite.

Im aware its the title of the book but its become slang for rhetoric. If the book is not about rhetoric then it doesnt seem proper thats what its replaced, or if you want a diffrent wording (if its more psych based) influence. The words "verbal judo" have come to be synonomosu with Rhtoric or persuasion&influence.

I have not actually read the book, so i dont know precisely what goes into it, just working from how i have seen people use the words.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Im aware its the title of the book but its become slang for rhetoric. If the book is not about rhetoric then it doesnt seem proper thats what its replaced, or if you want a diffrent wording (if its more psych based) influence. The words "verbal judo" have come to be synonomosu with Rhtoric or persuasion&influence.

I have not actually read the book, so i dont know precisely what goes into it, just working from how i have seen people use the words.
Okay, well for the sake of clarity, I am referring to the actual book. We used the principles and techniques in the book to create some training, which we used to train service representatives. It was very helpful in teaching them some practical techniques for de-escalating situations, avoiding arguments, and how to communicate options rather than make excuses (among many other things).

I can't speak to what "verbal judo" has evolved into in the common vernacular. I honestly haven't heard anyone use the term in at least 2 decades, so that it has come to mean anything more is kind of a surprise.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, well for the sake of clarity, I am referring to the actual book. We used the principles and techniques in the book to create some training, which we used to train service representatives. It was very helpful in teaching them some practical techniques for de-escalating situations, avoiding arguments, and how to communicate options rather than make excuses (among many other things).

I can't speak to what "verbal judo" has evolved into in the common vernacular. I honestly haven't heard anyone use the term in at least 2 decades, so that it has come to mean anything more is kind of a surprise.

This is the first time I've heard it for years, as you say. I think it's probably a fairly dead term now, I haven't heard it being used for anything other than the book, don't think it's got any other meaning other than one person thinking it has.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

It's a good book. I'm not sure why you would debate it if you haven't read it, but I guess it's a little bit like explaining martial arts that you haven't trained in to people who have.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

It's a good book. I'm not sure why you would debate it if you haven't read it, but I guess it's a little bit like explaining martial arts that you haven't trained in to people who have.
Its not about the book, its about the usage of the term "verbal judo". Thats pretty obvious by what has been written.

Wasnt really focused on you, forgot to addendum it in, it was just about the general topic line. So it was easier to reply off of something similar i was going to tangent on.

Can i get the TL;DR on what the book actually covers as i am not quite sure on what it covers now, i thought it was another persuasion and influence/rhetoric type book.

Latest Discussions