Youngest Kukkiwon 8th Dan at age 44 in the news

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I started the thread on Kukkiwon 6 year old "black belt"s, I thought I'd post this one in a similar vein...

http://www.koreaherald.com/lifestyle/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110621000600

Choi started learning taekwondo at the age of five. He majored in taekwondo at university, and eventually joined the army to become a trainer. His love of the martial art never ceased, with him writing books on the subject including “5000 Years History of Taekwondo.”

Except for the "5000 years" of history bit, I can imagine a 44 year old 8th Dan won't cause nearly as much fuss...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If memory serves me right I thought the KKW had a age requirement for each Dan level. They had to be like 63 to get to 8th dan. I guess everything is changing. I remember this was on the old KKW site and I really have not been to the new one yet.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As I started the thread on Kukkiwon 6 year old "black belt"s, I thought I'd post this one in a similar vein...

http://www.koreaherald.com/lifestyle/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110621000600

Choi started learning taekwondo at the age of five. He majored in taekwondo at university, and eventually joined the army to become a trainer. His love of the martial art never ceased, with him writing books on the subject including “5000 Years History of Taekwondo.”

Except for the "5000 years" of history bit, I can imagine a 44 year old 8th Dan won't cause nearly as much fuss...

Did he submit the book as his thesis?

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Kukkiwon has not lowered the standards as much as correcting a discrepancy between the Minimum Time Required for Promotion* and the Age Limit for Promotion*.

The 1975 Kukkiwon Textbook has the Obligatory training period (years)* 7th Dan to 8th Dan as 7 years. The Age limit for promotion* 7th Dan as "age 36 and over," for 8th Dan "age 47 and over." As we can all add 36 + 7 = 43.

The requirements were further changed to require 8 years between 7th Dan to 8th Dan, Minimum Time Required* for Promotion, making the Age Limits for Promotion* as "44 years and above." 36 + 8 = 44.

I do not see a "lowering of standards," but a clarification of standards. I can make a case of raising the standards as the Time in Grade was raised from 7 years to 8 years!

* Different terms used in two different charts.

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think 44 is the youngest. I know there have been younger 8th Dans in the past. I think the youngest Kukkiwon 9th Dan was GM UHM Woon Kyu, who was 46. USTU Past President Moo Yong Lee was 48 when he received his Kukkiwon 9th Dan 20 years ago. He was 9 years old when he received his Moo Duk Kwan 1st Dan.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think 44 is the youngest. I know there have been younger 8th Dans in the past. I think the youngest Kukkiwon 9th Dan was GM UHM Woon Kyu, who was 46. USTU Past President Moo Yong Lee was 48 when he received his Kukkiwon 9th Dan 20 years ago. He was 9 years old when he received his Moo Duk Kwan 1st Dan.

I believe you are correct. I 'think' GM Won, In Hui, who is second generation to GM Lee of the HMK was in his late 30's when he reached 8th Dan KKW. Perhaps 38-39? He is listed as 9th Dan HMK.

A 44yr old 8th Dan shouldn't be an issue. Using 'standard' TIG, and assuming 3 years to reach 1st Dan, 8th is possible in 35 years. This is assuming 3 years to 1st Dan and no decreased TIG along the way. With this as an example, a 44yr old 8th Dan began training at age 9 or so. This is not unreasonable in the least.

Last edited:

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
and the hits just keep on comming

What "hits" are those? Do you care to expound on your comments or are you satisfied to be a drive by poster joining in on a feeding frenzy of anti-Kukki-Taekwondo sentiment?

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
@ the lat 2 FIC we were told 10th dan could only be given afer death.

Two Kukkiwon 10th Dan have been awarded to living individuals, Dr. Un Yong Kim and Mr. Juan Antonio Samaranch. Both are still living by the way.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two Kukkiwon 10th Dan have been awarded to living individuals, Dr. Un Yong Kim and Mr. Juan Antonio Samaranch. Both are still living by the way.

Not to drift the thread too far...

A lot of people are under the perception that 9th Dan is the highest working Dan in KMA's and that 10th is a post humous award. As noted above, this is not the case. Puunui, is there something specific that would enable an individual to reach 10th Dan in the KKW beyond TIG? As you noted, there are currently two living KKW 10ths. Is there a limit on the total number of 10th Dans in the KKW? Is there a reason to have more than one?

Thank you.

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I believe Juan died April 2010. Do you know when exactly did he get 10th? By the way did he even practice TKD?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe Juan died April 2010. Do you know when exactly did he get 10th? By the way did he even practice TKD?

I didn't know that he passed away. We could actually still use his connections and relationships to keep Taekwondo in the Olympic Games. I want to say Mr. Samaranch received his Honorary Kukkiwon 10th Dan early, like 1982. I don't think he practiced Taekwondo but he was the biggest and most visible supporter of Taekwondo in the IOC, next to Dr. Kim. In fact, at IOC vote in 1994 when they were deciding whether Taekwondo would be selected, initially Taekwondo did not get voted in. In fact, the majority of IOC members chose not to select Taekwondo as an official medal sport. But then Mr. Samaranch stood and announced that there would be a re-vote, and this time anyone who was not in favor of Taekwondo being admitted as an Olympic sport could raise their hands or say I. No one voted against Taekwondo and that is how it became an Olympic sport. As far as I am concerned, Mr. Samaranch can have whatever dan rank he wants.

They will be voting again to determine the 25 core sports of the summer games soon, only this time, there will be no Mr. Samaranch or Dr. Kim to save the day. On top of all of that, Dr. Kim tells us that the IOC hates Taekwondo....

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, Mr. Samaranch can have whatever dan rank he wants.

I agree. I have also like the Honorary BB it allows you to pay homage to a person who contributes in there own way to the good of a Martial Art. The only reason I asked was because I didn't want to miss state this man's accomplishments when talking to others. As you know this is how miss information gets spread.

Latest Discussions