You Know You've Been in Martial Arts Too Long When...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned I can't do spinning back kicks in wranglers...
quote]

I think Chuck Norris did everyone a great dis-service by kicking in Wranglers & boots in all those movies. But then again, he's Chuck & I'm not.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I learned I can't do spinning back kicks in wranglers...
Someone asked what my instructor's name was the other day, I couldn't answer, I call him Sifu or Sir, It took me two freakin hours to remember his first name...
better than me, i cant even fit in Wranglers

B

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
- (and almost get the police called upon you because the manager at store thinks your weird.)

Happened at the apartment complex that I used to live at when I was practicing tameshigiri with my katana and some foam pool noodles. Someone called the police on me, claiming that there was a lunatic with a samurai sword in the parking lot...

So you were that guy on Wildest Police Videos that they put down with a fire hose.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh Dear! All I could see as I read through the list was my day at work. Maybe I'll concentrate a bit more and people wont' keep looking at me funny.

kalikg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I also tend to open doors that don't have knobs (like public bathrooms) wwith an outside knifehand chop. (Just enough to get the wrist rotation & connect on the correct spot on my hand.)[/quote]

Guilty! I also use verticle fists to bong sao or to an elbow strike!

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
That was great! It's funny how many of those I do. You could rarely find me wearing jeans because I can't kick in them well.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That was great! It's funny how many of those I do. You could rarely find me wearing jeans because I can't kick in them well.

Me too! Haha, many of my trousers are actually too big in the waist! Also, I choose shoes that are "quiet" on the ground, and have good traction.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So you were that guy on Wildest Police Videos that they put down with a fire hose.

If only it were that eventful! I could have been famous!

The officer was actually quite cool about the whole thing. He just simply chuckled, and said that I shouldn't yell nearly as loudly when cutting those mats.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You can quote more than three lines from the Karate Kid.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I love the list. Its funny I catch myself bowing when I leave rooms sometimes. And I can almost quote the entire karate kid movie LOL.

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The bolded ones are SOOOO me:
You know you've been in the martial arts too long when you....
- can't walk by anyone in your school without exchanging a flurry of mock strikes and kicks.
- have the urge to bow everytime you leave or enter a room.
- are introduced to someone and you bow to greet them.
- think to yourself while trying on pants: "Nice pants, but I don't think I can kick in them well."
- find your practicing staff techniques in miniature with your pencil during dull meetings.
- find yourself practicing stances while waiting in line.
- practice your techniques in the parking lot while waiting for someone to come out of the store
- (and almost get the police called upon you because the manager at store thinks your weird.)
- open and close doors with spinning kicks.
- open doors with a punch or an intentionally executed palm strike.
- buy shoes because they are flexible or have steel toes.
- when buying those shoes, you don't walk or jog around the store, you practice pivots, sweeps, stances, and kicks.
- when you hit your head on a low doorway or ceiling, and in anger, kick it and damage it.
- practice blocks while driving.
- do Finger Set while sitting at a stop light.
- use various strikes to turn lights on and off (yes, this includes your feet, too.)
- see people covered in a blanket of little red cross-hairs on all their vital targets.
- can't enjoy a martial art flick anymore because of the unrealistic moves.
- notice that you never never stand with your arms crossed or your hands in your pockets.
- notice that you always have to sit to face the most people in a cafeteria, restaurant, meeting room. (Can't have your back to the door!)
- keep a martial arts weapon close at hand while you sleep.
- have mastered the reflex to mentally imagine a messy homicide everytime someone asks if you're a black belt after learning you practice martial arts.
- don't use any tools when splitting firewood.
- spend more time surfing martial arts forums instead of doing actual work.
- don't care if the other patrons are looking at you funny.
- there are always more than 10 things in your surrounding, which you can use as a weapon in case of an emergency.

5 of them apply to me.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
You know you've been in Martial Arts to long when you dream about using your m.a.'s.

You know you've been in martial arts to long when all you think of are mach senarios in your head.

Reaction score
I showed this list to my wife and after reading the 1st couple she said, "Who wrote this about you? Had to be someone that knows you pretty well."

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I open and close bathroom doors with my feet all the time (alone of course). Who knows what germs are on those handles!

Latest Discussions