You Know You're Getting Older When...

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
60 cent gas, lp's, Stallone and Schwarzennegger as a young actor, you turned on a cpu and booted into dos and had to put a floppy in to load a program, Saturday morning cartoons. I mean really all we had after Bronson and Eastwood doing the tough guy movies all we had was Rocky, Rambo, Terminator, and Conan.

Rocky and Rambo were the Pop Culture "Way to go" stories.....Star Wars, Empire and Jedi was THE pop culture.

Shirts didnt have buttons, they had snaps, Van Halen Bruce Sprinsteen Blondie and Styx were new bands on the radio and no one needed a remote to change tv.

Tv was 4 channels if you were lucky, tinfoil bunny ears were standard, MTV showed nothing but music videos and the countdowns for these videos. What is rap? Never heard of it. R&B only had one label called Motown.

The first CGI was Max Headroom and he was a Coke personality.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know you're getting old when your sig other lights your birthday cake candles with a blowtorch. :flame:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You could board a flight for ANYWHERE in the continental US and only had to be at the airport a HALF HOUR before your flight...

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try explaining this to someone under 20.

In the old days, soft drink cans had rings that you pulled completely off and had to figure out what to do with them.

I made mention of that to some of the kids I teach and had to explain that I wasn't making anything up. These kids could not even think that the current way of opening a can was not the way it had always been.

I'm going over to youtube to watch some real music where they actually use guitars to their full effect if anyone wants to join me for a few rounds.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

In the old days, soft drink cans had rings that you pulled completely off and had to figure out what to do with them.

Good one Don, I had forgotten about the ring pull cans..I personally knew people that collected them and made "curtains" of their basement...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try explaining that there were NO twist off bottles for soda or beer..You had to become skilled in removing the top if you had forgotten your bottle opener at home..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try explaining that with the exceptions of Truck Stops and Dennys Resturants there were NO 24 hrs stores and almost NOTHING was open on holidays...I still remember on the Friday before a Holiday weekend running around to make sure I had a full tank of gas and all the beer and cigarettes I would need for the following 3 days...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good one Don, I had forgotten about the ring pull cans..I personally knew people that collected them and made "curtains" of their basement...

I forgot about this. I got a good chuckle when I read it because a few of my friends did the same thing.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I made mention of that to some of the kids I teach and had to explain that I wasn't making anything up. These kids could not even think that the current way of opening a can was not the way it had always been.

I'm going over to youtube to watch some real music where they actually use guitars to their full effect if anyone wants to join me for a few rounds.

How about the pre pop top days, when you needed a "churchkey" to open a can or bottle.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about the pre pop top days, when you needed a "churchkey" to open a can or bottle.

Ah yes, the old "church key"..We still have one around my house..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of these youngsters know phrase "4 on the floor" and its meaning..Does anyone remember cars with "3 on the tree"???

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of these youngsters know phrase "4 on the floor" and its meaning..Does anyone remember cars with "3 on the tree"???

Before my time... but I do know what you're talking about and I have been in a car with that.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before my time... but I do know what you're talking about and I have been in a car with that.

You are correct..3 on the tree refered to a manual transmission whose gear shift was on the right hand of the steering column..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try explaining the Super 8 movie cameras that always seemed to apperar at holiday gatherings and that dammed awful light bar that blinded anyone who looked at it.

Arizona Angel

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When you hear your mother come out of your mouth in response to a smart aleck remark by your child. Then you look in the mirror and see her! Ahhh!:erg:

Latest Discussions