You Know You're Getting Older When...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember when no one questioned if you chose to go target shooting in your backyard.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Carrying a rifle never caused alarm and could be brought to school on a window rack in the truck.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ITEM (My daughter's comment)

BetaMax (it's not like VHS is old enough already)

Rocky I (why is there a movie about two old guys boxing?)

45's and 78's (it ... only played ... ONE song ???)

Cabbage Patch Kids (a doll ... covered by a stocking ... niiiiiiice)

The Jackson Five (The whosey whatsit?)

My Pet Rock (ooooooooooooooookaaaaaaaaaay)

The Who (who?) - note: I know it's corny, but it's what she said

Jimmy Durante (who the hell is that?)

Johnny Carson (You mean the guy with the chin hasn't always had that show?) no dear, and the jokes were better then, too.

Instamatic Cameras (How bulky and ... unretouchable)

Cocaine (I heard meth is better) :erg:

Sexual ignorance at the age of 10 (wow - where'd you live? in a cave?)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ALL great memories, well to me anyway...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember when milk was sold in glass containers and delivered to houses. I also remember my grandmother getting "fresh" milk with cream on top in metal containers.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mom & pop grocery stores where they would just write the costs of each item on the paper bag, add up the figures , get it right,and be able to give change without the register telling how much it was.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember when milk was sold in glass containers and delivered to houses

Up here BACK in the day there was also a bakery man that delivered to residents....

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spent summers splitting my time between the local pool and the local library (they were on opposite sides of the same parking lot) - and I got there (4 miles from home) on my bicycle, and thought nothing of it; everyone my age (11-14) got around on a bicycle, and no one even thought to ask parents for a ride.

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spent summers splitting my time between the local pool and the local library (they were on opposite sides of the same parking lot) - and I got there (4 miles from home) on my bicycle, and thought nothing of it; everyone my age (11-14) got around on a bicycle, and no one even thought to ask parents for a ride.

Same exact thing for myself. Heck, I rode my bike miles at age 11 (semi-rural area back then). Not only that, but I didn't think twice about walking to places and distances that it now wouldn't even occur to me not to drive.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score

Same exact thing for myself. Heck, I rode my bike miles at age 11 (semi-rural area back then). Not only that, but I didn't think twice about walking to places and distances that it now wouldn't even occur to me not to drive.

Man I know this feeling very well. When I was 8 or 9 I used to ride my bike down to the corner on Saturday morning early to pick strawberries in the summer for some afternoon spending money. Then head into town and buy 2 boxes of .22 shells, a Pepsi, and an ice cream bar. Then head home for my rifle and ride away for an afternoon spent shooting at the dump. Round trip - 25 miles.

Several things that are unbelivable to my kids. 1: I would ride that far every Saturday. 2: I would go pick strawberries without telling Mom or Dad. 3: I could buy .22 shells myself (only because the sport store I went to is the same one my father went to from the time he was a kid, and the same lady owned it still.) 4: I could go out all day and only have to be in by Suppertime.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You took Fortran, and Basic in College

You have a certificate in DOS, Windows 3.11 and AutoCAD 10

You use to make WebPages by programming in HTML.

When you have a leather jacket that could be considered old enough to drink in any state in America

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some refuse to believe that a postage stamp was 5 cents...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try explaining "Bedtime for Bonzo" starring the late Ronald Regan..

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some refuse to believe that a postage stamp was 5 cents...

Even I rember that one. It had either the Liberty Bell or Thomas Jefferson on it, IIRC.

Remember when the brand of toothpaste used was a major source of debate? Seriously, around the early 70's the "wrong" toothpaste brand was gonna ruin your teeth...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Collecting empty pop bottles could get you enough money to buy more pop..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even I rember that one. It had either the Liberty Bell or Thomas Jefferson on it, IIRC.

You are corect...

Jonathan Randall said:
Remember when the brand of toothpaste used was a major source of debate? Seriously, around the early 70's the "wrong" toothpaste brand was gonna ruin your teeth...

While the Right one would give you Sex Appeal and white teeth..The latter being more important in the 70's...

Latest Discussions