Yeah, and they'll leave sex practices alone...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your doctor tells you breast feeding is better, and then you do-or you don't.

Your doctor tells you to cut back on salt, and red meat, and then you do-or you don't.

Your doctor tells you to get more exercise, like a half an hour, three times a week,and then you do-or you don't.

Don't really see any reason for alarm here, people-it's what doctors and nurses are supposed to do after all. The day may come when the government can tell someone that theyre overweight, and limit their license to purchase certain foods, but that day is far, far off, and we won't live to see it, because the food industry-mostly giant corporations like ConAgra-doesn't want it, and our government pretty much does what corporations want.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/1605143...trition/t/new-york-city-passes-trans-fat-ban/

New York City passes trans fat ban
Restaurants must eliminate artery-clogging ingredient by July 2008

The Board of Health voted Tuesday to make New York the nation’s first city to ban artery-clogging artificial trans fats at restaurants — from the corner pizzeria to high-end bakeries.
The board, which passed the ban unanimously, did give restaurants a slight break by relaxing what had been considered a tight deadline for compliance. Restaurants will be barred from using most frying oils containing artificial trans fats by July and will have to eliminate the artificial trans fats from all of their foods by July 2008.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03...gain-nyc-bans-food-donations-to-the-homeless/

Richter has been collecting food from places like the Ohav Zedek synagogue and bringing it to homeless shelters for more than 20 years, but recently his donation, including a “cholent” or carrot stew, was turned away because the Bloomberg administration wants to monitor the salt, fat and fiber eaten by the homeless.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-03-11/local/27058674_1_salt-restaurants-fast-food

Brooklyn Dem Felix Ortiz wants to ban use of salt in New York restaurants
BY SAMUEL GOLDSMITH
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Thursday, March 11, 2010
If State Assemblyman Felix Ortiz has his way, the only salt added to your meal will come from the chef's tears.

The Brooklyn Democrat has introduced a bill that would ban the use of salt in New York restaurants - and violators would be smacked with a $1,000 fine for every salty dish.

"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food," the bill reads.

http://www.latimes.com/health/boost...w-york-city-calories-20120723,0,2800445.story

Will New York City's large-soda ban reduce calories consumed?
By Rosie Mestel
Los Angeles Times
July 23, 2012, 12:08 p.m.
If restaurants and movie theaters in New York City limit sugar-sweetened beverages to 16-ounce servings, as Mayor Michael Bloomberg proposes, will it really cut people’s calorie consumption -- or is this a rearranging-deckchairs-on-the-Titanic kind of move?

You were saying about how the government doesn't want to ban foods?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were saying about how the government doesn't want to ban foods?
'

And that's New York City, under the current mayoral administration, which is nuttier than a wagonload of pralines....
....Bloomberg's a Republican, btw. :lol:

No, really-I equate this with San Fransisco's regional ban of pate foie gras, or any of several locales where one cannot purchase an alcoholic beverages, both towns and counties. New Jersey has several dry towns, and Texas has several dry counties. No big deal, really.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
....Bloomberg's a Republican, btw. :lol:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19317522/ns/politics/t/bloomberg-leaves-republican-party/

Bloomberg leaves Republican Party
NYC mayor, subject of speculation about presidential run, now unaffiliated
updated 6/20/2007 8:42:57 AM ET
Print Font:
NEW YORK — New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg left the Republican Party on Tuesday and switched to unaffiliated, a move certain to be seen as a prelude to an independent presidential bid that would upend the 2008 race.
The billionaire former CEO, who was a lifelong Democrat before he switched to the Republican Party in 2001 for his first mayoral run, said the change in his voter registration does not mean he is running for president.

Republican? No. Not that I'm a fan of Republicans.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I may be taking this a little off track but as a physician, it hits one of my hot buttons hard. It has always been the role of the physician to advise and educate. After 30 yrs of practice, I'm still amazed at some of the misinformation patients carry around. Having said that; it is not my job to force compliance on my patients, I prefer to work in partnership so that the patient understands why I recommend what I recommend. It is certainly not the role of the government to override my training and one on one assessment of a patients needs and mandate what care and advice I provide. (We've gotten to Orwell's 1984, it just took a little longer than he anticipated). One of the major impediments to this patient/doctor dialogue is that it takes time and while IMHO this time is the most important part of patient care it is least valued by insurance companies, administrators and the government and therefore not paid for. So you end up with "slam bam, thank you mamm" office visits and mediocre compliance. I do support efforts to make information available on product labels, information brochures and sites (written by health care professionals, not politicians). The individual can then choose (something we seemed to have lost in government over the past 200yr). I expect our choices to shrink as more and more people jump on the band wagon that "it's the governments job". At one time it was King George's mandate. They have legislated sex practices for many decades. No new news there. I doubt things will change unless the population begins to push back and demand that the government returns to the priority of ensuring liberty. That seems to have slipped down the list to somewhere below neighborhood covenants and a proper pie crust.
Now I'm going to change my name and try to get off the grid before some gov't functionary spots this post and puts me on another watch list.
Dennis

I do not agree with the general tenor of this post, but the crust of the biscuit has validity, IMHO.

"With each bottle a mother requests and receives, she’ll also get a talking-to. Staffers will explain why she should offer the breast instead."
“It’s the patient’s choice,” said Allison Walsh, of Beth Israel Medical Center. “But it’s our job to educate them on the best option.”

This is the core of coercion, and it saddens me that more people don't see it. The condescension is rampant, and it's coupled with an assumption of authority where there is none (at least not yet).

It begins with the determination that 'we' know what is 'best' for everyone else. This may nor may not have a basis in fact, but it's often used as the basis for further action whether it is right or wrong.

It proceeds to an 'education' that is mandatory, not optional. Instead of providing the new mother with educational material, she is given a 'talking-to' which she is forced to listen to.

What is not seen in the quotes above is the end-game scenario, which often follows the first two steps. When 'education' doesn't provide the desired results, the next step is to change the laws so that is it no longer "the patient’s choice." This is seen in laws banning such things as trans-fats, salt, large-sized soft drinks, and other substances which are legal but deemed 'unhealthy' by authorities and busy-bodies.

It is also difficult to have a discussion about this phenomena because quite commonly, the response is a shocked "but it's NOT HEALTHY for you!" as if that were all the justification needed to restrict someone's liberties. It is impossible to discuss freedom and liberty with people who think that the state has a legitimate right to make you do the healthy thing, for your own good, even against your will.

For the record, since a couple clot-brains will find this impossible to infer, I firmly believe that natural mother's milk is far better for infants than formula. I also believe that's not the point, not the point at all.

As to whether or not this will lead, as billcihak says, to invasion of the bedroom by regulating do-gooders, it's possible, but I would guess not, at least not right away. If it were the case, the health-nazis would already have locked up all the gay people and the illegal IV drug users because AIDS was originally transmitted primarily by way of anal sex and sharing dirty needles. They did not do this because they believe that a person's right to put their phallum bway bway wherever they wish to trumps the state's interest in them making wise health decisions. They do not see the food we eat or what we feed our infants in the same light.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doctor,don't worry.

It is certainly not the role of the government to override my training and one on one assessment of a patients needs and mandate what care and advice I provide.

The government is ahead of you on this, they will just change the way you are trained. Are you familiar with Rahm Emanuels brother, or the other guy in charge of medicare? They both feel that Doctors are trained to do everything they can for their patients and that for the betterment of the "system," that mind set has to be changed so that the doctor looks more at protecting the "system," as a whole, over the welfare of just one patient.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
They have been trying to do that for years, in collusion with Insurance companies and Administrators. If they get their way, all care will be provided by nurse practitioners and physicians assistants. The role of the physician will be relegated to countersigning dictations, providing a billing number and taking the malpractice liability. And now that we are completely off topic.....
Dennis

Latest Discussions