Yahoo: Who's the liar? White or Jackson?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
02-25-2010 01:35 PM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-479610956-1267119304.jpg
You ever wonder if UFC officials regret bailing out Quinton Jackson after his Southern California driving rampage in July of 2008? He's paid them back with mostly headaches. White defended and covered up Jackson's bizarre behavior and what appeared to be a mental breakdown. It was clear Jackson had a few screws loose and he's only backed up that lamen's theory with his odd behavior during season 10 of "The Ultimate Fighter," a sudden change of heart about fighting in his hometown of Memphis and a threat that he was going to retire.

It appeared things were patched up but now after a stint in Australia, where Jackson finalized his deal to fight Rashad Evans at UFC 114, "Rampage" is now claiming he was supposed to fight Lyoto Machida after TUF 10.

"I just want to finish my contract and get out of there, do my own thing. Dana lied to me. He told me I didn&rsquo;t have to fight Rashad, I could fight Machida. I did the show and then after that he told me I had to fight Rashad," Jackson told Fighters Only Magazine.

Huh? Has anything like that ever happened at the completion of the show when the coaches were in the same weight class? Why would White tell him before the taping that his opponent was undecided? He wouldn't and it didn't happen.

Want more proof? I sat in a room during the first day of taping with Jackson and not for one second did Rampage or anyone else suggest there was any mystery as to who he was fighting. In fact, the media on hand made it point to mention Machida several times, repeatedly asking why Jackson was passing on a title shot to fight Evans. This is what we wrote after the convo:

Who says Quinton Jackson is afraid of Lyoto Machida? If that&rsquo;s what you&rsquo;re thinking, Rampage says you&rsquo;re probably 12 years old and you know nothing about the fight business. Sure, Jackson respects the title belt. But he&rsquo;s also trying to make a living and a Machida fight is small potatoes compared to the gains from a successful season on "The Ultimate Fighter." And now that crossover star Kimbo Slice is part of the show, Jackson has dollar signs in his eyes.

"Those people don&rsquo;t walk in my shoes," said Jackson in response to claims that he fears Machida. "They don&rsquo;t put food on my table. They don&rsquo;t set up college funds for my kids. I&rsquo;m not afraid of nobody. If they use their common sense, they can see what my gameplan is."

Jackson said Machida will be around after he beats Rashad Evans. And frankly, Machida isn&rsquo;t a big enough name to draw monster pay-per-view numbers right now. Oh, that doesn&rsquo;t matter? It does when most of your money comes from the back end of the pay-per-view.

You see any confusion during the conversation?

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions