WTF style rules

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What would be the greatest rule change for the WTF to make? How can they make the sport of TKD more spectator worthy? I believe bringing the hands into play will be a very productive point in the growth of TKD over the next 10 years. I also believe we should have a better grassroot program for the younger student that need something to help bring them together for the longer haul.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you bring the hands in to play then you have a different sport altogeather. You now have kick boxing and now the point system goes out the window as well.

I do not know the answer to the question but answers will be interesting none the less.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am excited to see how the new point values (2 for spinning kicks and 3 for head shots) effect the sport. I would think it will result in more dynamic kicking- and I think this will go a long way to make the sport more exciting to watch.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATC I see what you are saying but I believe you limit the hands to maybe three or four throws per round just to keep it moving. I mean in kickboxing they ask for a certain amount of kicks per round so why not just reverse it and leave it open for that great combo or knockout blow. I mean I am looking forward to some good converstation about what can be done to make the sport grow even more and help educate people.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean in kickboxing they ask for a certain amount of kicks per round

I've seen some of the most boring "kick"-boxing matches resulting from that rule in those old ESPN matches. In practice, the fighter (usually a boxer who couldn't make in boxing proper so he moved over to kick-boxing) quickly throws 8 tepid kicks and then spends the rest of the round punching exclusively.

Someone posted a youtube video a few weeks/months ago of two TKD guys going at it. No hogu or headgear, etc. Punches allowed. It was pretty exciting and I enjoyed it. Then again, the rules they used probably weren't suitable for amateurs.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen some of the most boring "kick"-boxing matches resulting from that rule in those old ESPN matches. In practice, the fighter (usually a boxer who couldn't make in boxing proper so he moved over to kick-boxing) quickly throws 8 tepid kicks and then spends the rest of the round punching exclusively.

Someone posted a youtube video a few weeks/months ago of two TKD guys going at it. No hogu or headgear, etc. Punches allowed. It was pretty exciting and I enjoyed it. Then again, the rules they used probably weren't suitable for amateurs.

Yes it is called the professional TKD league and it was a great display of TKD and had alot of great action to it.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im all for bringing the hands into it. Currently I dont feel that WTF tkd rules are a good reflection of the art. We spend hours working on punches , as do a lot of tkd clubs and yet to watch the olympics , for example, it just doesnt represent what we train in tkd. It is also extremely boring to watch , I love tkd with a passion and yet dont waste my time watching any competitive tkd. I really hope that eventually they do change the rules a bit because the current system can be quite embarrassing as a tkd practitioner.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thinking for a long time that face punching would be the thing to make WTF rules sparring exciting again. However, today I watched Kyokoshin (sp?) Karate sparring which also doesn't allow face punching & it was more interesting to watch than WTF-rules. Because they both punched AND kicked.

Getting the hands engaged in the match by either needing to block, or punch (ideally both!) seems to be what needs to happen to make WTF-style interesting again. IMO. The way it is now, any untrained person would find it hard to get into because the natural thing they'd think is, "they have hands, why do they use them for....something?!"

I've seen the evolution of Olympic style TKD since the early 80's. I remember when they threw punches (& got points for it!) & bounced a lot less.

The way it is now, the most interesting thing about matches are encapsulated in 5 seconds blurbs on Youtube. Whole matches aren't featured because the whole match isn't that interesting.

The kicks are only part of the Art. I want to see more of the Art that I love....not less.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it is called the professional TKD league and it was a great display of TKD and had alot of great action to it.

Yes, the sad thing was, it didn't last long. I'm guessing that the $$ dried up (which means lack of interest). I thought it was very interesting to watch.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Im all for bringing the hands into it. Currently I dont feel that WTF tkd rules are a good reflection of the art. We spend hours working on punches , as do a lot of tkd clubs and yet to watch the olympics , for example, it just doesnt represent what we train in tkd. It is also extremely boring to watch , I love tkd with a passion and yet dont waste my time watching any competitive tkd. I really hope that eventually they do change the rules a bit because the current system can be quite embarrassing as a tkd practitioner.

Not to drift from the subject, but a few weeks ago, I was at a tourney. male BB fighting and one came in with a kick, the other stepped close into the kick and punched him DEAD IN THE HOGU. it floored the fighter before he could even get his foot down from the kick landing on his back.... guess what.....

POINT. I couldnt believe it, I actually seen someone score with a punch and it was a great fight.

I hate that kick, clash, hold crap.

sorry... back to the thread.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the sad thing was, it didn't last long. I'm guessing that the $$ dried up (which means lack of interest). I thought it was very interesting to watch.

yeah well.... it was their own fault. they never bothered adverising it. I would have watched it religiously had I known it was on. I dont think lack of interest was the key.... i think lack of proper management and advertising killed it.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had some ideas for rule changes, but I can't remember what they ALL were ... no time to search forums presently.

I think the gist of it was,

• allow hands to the head (i.e., no penalty for strikes to head with hands), but no points are awarded for hand strikes to head (only hands to the body and kicks!)

So, competitors MUST watch out for hands to the head for obvious reasons — but you can't win without kicks!

There was more to it, but I don't remember at the moment.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking for a long time that face punching would be the thing to make WTF rules sparring exciting again. However, today I watched Kyokoshin (sp?) Karate sparring which also doesn't allow face punching & it was more interesting to watch than WTF-rules. Because they both punched AND kicked.

Getting the hands engaged in the match by either needing to block, or punch (ideally both!) seems to be what needs to happen to make WTF-style interesting again. IMO. The way it is now, any untrained person would find it hard to get into because the natural thing they'd think is, "they have hands, why do they use them for....something?!"

I've seen the evolution of Olympic style TKD since the early 80's. I remember when they threw punches (& got points for it!) & bounced a lot less.

The way it is now, the most interesting thing about matches are encapsulated in 5 seconds blurbs on Youtube. Whole matches aren't featured because the whole match isn't that interesting.

The kicks are only part of the Art. I want to see more of the Art that I love....not less.

Well done, this is exactly my way of feeling about tkd matches. The competitors just buncing around trow two or three kicks and then the clinch.

Pro TKD is something really nice to wach and the competitors kick well and punch well and the matches are pretty existing, kyokushing kai karate is tremendous, pretty fast nad pretty nasty.

I think that if olimpic and wtf sparring system could mimic the pro tkd matches.... oh my god... there will be a nice thing.

For my the Pro TKD is one of the most fascinating machtes around.

Manny

Latest Discussions