KKW Guidelines vs. yours

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We all know the KKW has a very limited curriculum itself so what does your school do to add to your training and help insure you are getting the very best they can offer?

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i don't personally see what is so limited about the curriculum. Forms, sparring and board breaking are the essential curriculum. Some consider that limited, but there is so much intricate detail in every aspect of these parts of Taekwondo that to add more would be to take away. A focused mind can do quite a lot, but few bodies can keep up with such a mind. Granted, I do follow a 'less is more' philosophy in the martial arts, but I can see the point in your statement, and I won't deviate any more.

My personal curriculum only differs from the Kukkiwon curriculum by adding a small base of Hapkido techniques. Other than that it includes the Taegeuk and Dan poomse, sparring and step sparring and power testing through board breaking.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Forms:
Me=Taeguek. All forms leading up to belt being tested for. Random order. performed both physically and verbally. And meaning of each ( keon- heaven and light; tae-joy...etc) so yes as a 1st dan you do all 8 taegueks, kibom poomse, plus koryo or higher if second,third, etc.
KKW= form plus 1 or 2 compulsory depending on rank.

One step Sparring:
Me=each belt has One step sparring. Do all up to belt testing for.
KKW= none.

Self defense:
me=basic leading to complex depending on what belt test. Introducing Hapkido techniques at blue/purple and up. Knife /gun defense.
KKW=none specific.

Sparring:
Me=basic demonstrational sparring for lower ranks, multiple sparring matches and opponents at higher.
KKW= diplay of "good" tkd techniques.

Breaking:
Me=boards (wood 12x12x1 teens and adults; 6x12x1 kids) Blocks (cinder) Basic kicks for lower ranks, complex techniques for higher ranks, to include speed breaking [2 finger style not grasp half and hold](Punch, spin hook kick, round house...).
KKW=none specific.

Gymnastics:
Me=front roll to front flip, back roll to back flip (based on individuals ability)
KKW= N/A

Techniques:
Me=kicks, blocks, punches, stances based on rank. not so much at higher ranks.
KKW= N/a

Report:
Me= 1 dan and up.
KKW= 6th dan and up.

not sure if i forgot anything.... gotta run....

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Forms:
Me=Taeguek. All forms leading up to belt being tested for. Random order. performed both physically and verbally. And meaning of each ( keon- heaven and light; tae-joy...etc) so yes as a 1st dan you do all 8 taegueks, kibom poomse, plus koryo or higher if second,third, etc.
KKW= form plus 1 or 2 compulsory depending on rank.

One step Sparring:
Me=each belt has One step sparring. Do all up to belt testing for.
KKW= none.

Self defense:
me=basic leading to complex depending on what belt test. Introducing Hapkido techniques at blue/purple and up. Knife /gun defense.
KKW=none specific.

Sparring:
Me=basic demonstrational sparring for lower ranks, multiple sparring matches and opponents at higher.
KKW= diplay of "good" tkd techniques.

Breaking:
Me=boards (wood 12x12x1 teens and adults; 6x12x1 kids) Blocks (cinder) Basic kicks for lower ranks, complex techniques for higher ranks, to include speed breaking [2 finger style not grasp half and hold](Punch, spin hook kick, round house...).
KKW=none specific.

Gymnastics:
Me=front roll to front flip, back roll to back flip (based on individuals ability)
KKW= N/A

Techniques:
Me=kicks, blocks, punches, stances based on rank. not so much at higher ranks.
KKW= N/a

Report:
Me= 1 dan and up.
KKW= 6th dan and up.

not sure if i forgot anything.... gotta run....

Kukkiwon has several step sparring techniques... As to the "none specific" parts, I'm very glad they're not specific, or so many schools may have less of an identity - they may be restricted to exactly what the Kukkiwon wants taught. Taekwondo techniques, i.e. kicks, blocks, punches and stances not mandated per gup rank, but they are certainly displayed by the Kukkiwon. I don't know what you mean by display of "good" Taekwondo techniques when you talk about sparring - I have seen some great looking sparring by people from the Kukkiwon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly a Kukkiwon fan boy - I have my problems with them too. The way I've seen them do testing at times - two minutes to cover two forms, six one step sparring techniques, and "promised" sparring... Bleh.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by display of "good" Taekwondo techniques when you talk about sparring - I have seen some great looking sparring by people from the Kukkiwon.

Anyone who has tested in front of KKW will tell you.... thats what they say "good TKD techniques". Not meaning that in a bad way. Meaning No Competition style sparring with one roundhouse kick the entire match trying to rack up points. They prefer you to display your TKD techniques and how to use them while sparring.

As for my saying of "NON specific". I have sets for each belt. They dont require you to do each set for any belt. I prefer they dont have thier own.

I'm not saying I am better then KKW.

The question was, what do I do that KKW dont require or do differently. I think it is better for schools to be above KKW standards. I think we all forget, just because KKW doesnt spell out detailed specific for every test and allows instructors to test above and beyond, that their list of requirements is the only thing you need to know.

They give you the outline of the shape they want the picture to be. You color it in.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why? Why gymnastics?
Bleargh.

No real reason. then again it isnt like competition style and bars and stuff. more like tumbling. I did it when i was coming up and it was fun and a nice change to a sometimes routine class. So i guess i do it cause I had to do it. really no connection other than the falling part. but it helps develope a different side of athletisism. like I said. This is based on the individual..... not a requirement.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you should just replace it with something useful, like breakfall and forwards rolls that aren't tumbles?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you should just replace it with something useful, like breakfall and forwards rolls that aren't tumbles?
front roll to front flip, back roll to back flip. anyone who can doing a diving forward roll, flip, handspring ect wont have any problem falling. I mean really, why am I trying to sell it to you... you dont like it... you dont do it. thats why it says...

KKW Guidelines vs. yours

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
they really will, for instance being thrown.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Self defense:
KKW=none specific.

That would include, throws, falls, armlocks, wristlocks, etc.etc.etc.

I appreciate your critique of MY curriculum though.

I guess when I said "I'm not saying I am better then KKW" I should have said... something like.... ___________________________________ (fill in the blank cause I'm not sure)

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Anyone who has tested in front of KKW will tell you.... thats what they say "good TKD techniques". Not meaning that in a bad way. Meaning No Competition style sparring with one roundhouse kick the entire match trying to rack up points. They prefer you to display your TKD techniques and how to use them while sparring.

As for my saying of "NON specific". I have sets for each belt. They dont require you to do each set for any belt. I prefer they dont have thier own.

I'm not saying I am better then KKW.

The question was, what do I do that KKW dont require or do differently. I think it is better for schools to be above KKW standards. I think we all forget, just because KKW doesnt spell out detailed specific for every test and allows instructors to test above and beyond, that their list of requirements is the only thing you need to know.

They give you the outline of the shape they want the picture to be. You color it in.

That explains it to me very well. I like hearing that the Kukkiwon simply says, "Show good Taekwondo technique." An individual testing for Dan rank should, after all, be able to demonstrate what they know beyond competition techniques.
I like your description of filling in the colors. that is what I like about the Kukkiwon - allowing creativity to flow over structure.

Latest Discussions