WTF specification for Hand gear

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, Couple o' questions.

When is rollout for these supposed to take place?
Will they be mandatory or optional?
What other striking besides the current "chest strike" will be allowed which necessitates the use of these new gloves?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the gloves everyone in our dojang is ordering, kind of. Either the Century leather one with the strap that goes around the thumb, open palm or the Harbinger one that has a bar under the finger area when the fingers roll in. Also, when are these going to out to purchase? TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw these specifications and they seem pretty comprehensive. But I am more of a "got to have one on to see how it fits and works" sort of person. When a company is approved, there will be lots of folks ordering the gloves-all of the major martial arts suppliers will have them (Century, Asian World, Kwon, Tekno, etc.)

Miles

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Terry, Couple o' questions.

When is rollout for these supposed to take place?
Will they be mandatory or optional?
What other striking besides the current "chest strike" will be allowed which necessitates the use of these new gloves?

gemini what I was told and please do not hold me to this, they are going to be allowing head shots that are under control: I.E. ridgehand , Backfist.leadhand and reverse, as of last night when I was talking they are not allowing you to knock your opponet out with the hands to the head. Now body shots that stop your opponet in there track are going to be scored as 1 pt.
That is what I know so far.
Any other help will be appreciated.
Terry

The rollout by the company that have the rights to them is February this Year.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ugh..I already feel like I'm wearing too much gear.

It'd be nice if they could make a smaller hogu to fit *under* your dobok so you would like like a "Taekwondo artist" and not some weird "Storm Trooper with colorful targets"

I say if they add gloves they should drop the headgear and maybe some other pieces. This is a 'martial art' afterall and while maybe this keeps it fun and safe for the 7yr olds...there's a lot of us adults here, too

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The headgear's mainly there to keep you from cracking your head in the event you get KO'ed and fall over. It doesn't do anything to prevent injury from a kick to the head etc.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:

It'd be nice if they could make a smaller hogu to fit *under* your dobok so you would like like a "Taekwondo artist" and not some weird "Storm Trooper with colorful targets"

I say if they add gloves they should drop the headgear and maybe some other pieces. This is a 'martial art' afterall and while maybe this keeps it fun and safe for the 7yr olds...there's a lot of us adults here, too

I aree totally, I wear no hogu when I spar and I love hands being involved.
Terry
PS I totally want to spar you my friend it would be my honor.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:

I know what you mean. In class, I spar with no hogu, head gear or shin guards. Only forearm guards. I like the contact.

Keep in mind, other sports such as football and hockey went through the same thing. Every time they would invent more protection, the players hated it.

Latest Discussions