WTF-Question for anyone who knows/one-steps

40th Alabama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is there a progression for one-step fighting techniques under the WTF? For instance, forms are numbered and everyone learns them by the name given? From my research it appears that there is no one-step technique number 1, 2, 3, etc., that is universal under that system. Do any of you know what the progression of one-steps fighting techniques under WTF is and if so, what is your reference source?

Thanks.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are no numbered techniques from the WTF or the Kukkiwon. Some examples of step sparring are given on the Kukkiwon website and in the Kukkiwon Taekwondo Textbook, but only really to illustrate the format.

Practitioners are encouraged to experiment with the practicality of the movements they have learned (basics and poomsae) in the controlled format of 1 step.

For gradings, I've always gone in knowing the selection I would do. The selection is different each time and I create, modify and fine tune in my training time between gradings.

Most techniques are fairly loose and can be modified in a number of ways depending on how the opponent reacts to a lock, strike, throw or takedown. Different people react in different ways, (for example some people seem to be immune to pressure point manipulation whilst others are wildly sensitive), so building in some flexibility is a good idea.

Poomsae is a great place to look for inspiration.

Gnarlie

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well first off WTF does not even care about one steps, they are the ones governing all the rules for Olympic sparring and competition poomsae. Now the KKW has some one steps in there text book and on there website but really nothing is really concrete as far as numbers or sequence.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most Kukkiwon teachers and WTF coaches do not believe in scripted one step sparring. Myself included.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most Kukkiwon teachers and WTF coaches do not believe in scripted one step sparring. Myself included.

My experience suggests otherwise. Outside of sport-dedicated clubs in the UK, it's still widely practised.

Unfortunately most of what is practised is highly impractical / unrealistic, but it's a step on the road to freestyle SD and a chance the practice at a range other than that used for kicking.

Gnarlie

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
my experience has been the same as Gnarlie's. Most of the kkw clubs I know of use one steps as a staple part of their curriculum, and they are usually a grading requirement for coloured belts.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add me as one who sees one-steps used in most schools, except those that are pretty much all about WTF-sparring.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Germany 1 step sparring is required for all Kup and Dan gradings, but for the Dan gradings you can actually choose if you wanna do Poomsae-based 1-steps or Kyorugi-based 1-steps. I've never seen anybody doing Kyorugi based 1-steps though. Probably since Kyorugi is part of all gradings up to 3rd Dan anyway.

They're the link between Poomsae/basic techniques and Hosinsul/Kyorugi.

Back in the day there were also 2- and 3-steps, but those are hardly ever seen anymore these days.

As with all aspects of Taekwondo there should be progress in the 1-steps. You can use techniques/combinations from Poomsae, but you can also be creative and use some of the techniques that are hardly ever displayed. If there would be a mandatory list of techniques for 1-steps then the variety of techniques would decrease even further.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My experience suggests otherwise. Outside of sport-dedicated clubs in the UK, it's still widely practised.

Unfortunately most of what is practised is highly impractical / unrealistic, but it's a step on the road to freestyle SD and a chance the practice at a range other than that used for kicking.

Gnarlie

It shouldn't be used, at least scripted one steps shouldn't. They're detrimental to responding properly in most cases.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It shouldn't be used, at least scripted one steps shouldn't. They're detrimental to responding properly in most cases.

Nah. Depends totally on what one considers one-steps. If you mean the ones where we start from long range and attack with step through punches and defend with a classical block and strike counter, sure those are good only for practicing isolated basics with beginners.

I like one steps, both scripted and free form, and I believe they can develop realistic fighting capability, but then again I teach them very differently from many.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah. Depends totally on what one considers one-steps. If you mean the ones where we start from long range and attack with step through punches and defend with a classical block and strike counter, sure those are good only for practicing isolated basics with beginners.

I like one steps, both scripted and free form, and I believe they can develop realistic fighting capability, but then again I teach them very differently from many.

I should be more specific. One steps like "Red throws a back kick and blue counters with a round kick" are limiting and create bad habits from the get go, particularly for athletes. I hate scripted drills for beginners but sometimes they are easier, but I make it a point to never use them in a sparring context. I approach sparring from an athlete perspective for all my students, so the mom who started to have fun with her kids is going to learn the same methodology, more or less, as the guy who joined to compete every weekend. Most of the reason for this is I've been guilty of being a little dismissive towards sparring with some students in the past, when it turned out they really liked to compete. Training them like the athletes helps my approach more than anything

I use them starting from a grab, that's all. Wrist grab, grab from behind, rear naked choke.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I should be more specific. One steps like "Red throws a back kick and blue counters with a round kick" are limiting and create bad habits from the get go, particularly for athletes. I hate scripted drills for beginners but sometimes they are easier, but I make it a point to never use them in a sparring context. I approach sparring from an athlete perspective for all my students, so the mom who started to have fun with her kids is going to learn the same methodology, more or less, as the guy who joined to compete every weekend. Most of the reason for this is I've been guilty of being a little dismissive towards sparring with some students in the past, when it turned out they really liked to compete. Training them like the athletes helps my approach more than anything

I use them starting from a grab, that's all. Wrist grab, grab from behind, rear naked choke.

I see where you're coming from, but I think it's impossible to always train in a spontaneous fashion, no matter what MA we study. The scripted motion drills like one steps are building blocks. They're meant to teach correct technique with the aid of a partner to simulate antagonistic motion. In the context of taekwondo, it's much easier to learn how to move away from a kick if we actually have someone kicking us, no? And for training purposes, it is sometimes more effective to learn a specific defense if we know the attack coming. With lots of GOOD repetition, we can perhaps gain the capability to recognize and do the same live against spontaneous attack.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I see where you're coming from, but I think it's impossible to always train in a spontaneous fashion, no matter what MA we study. The scripted motion drills like one steps are building blocks. They're meant to teach correct technique with the aid of a partner to simulate antagonistic motion. In the context of taekwondo, it's much easier to learn how to move away from a kick if we actually have someone kicking us, no? And for training purposes, it is sometimes more effective to learn a specific defense if we know the attack coming. With lots of GOOD repetition, we can perhaps gain the capability to recognize and do the same live against spontaneous attack.

yes, I tend to leave drills more open ended. I want the reaction, not "what was I supposed to do now?"

i had an instructor who used drills where red would throw a round kick and a side kick, and then blue would throw round kick, push kick, spin hook kick. Those, I don't like.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think both have their place. The programed one-steps are useful for teaching timing, distancing and movement in a controlled and structured situation. As students progress, the structure loosens and becomes more open ended.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I got my 1st Dan without having ever done them, so it's definitely not required by Kukkiwon. I mean, we'll do some spontaneous ones sometimes in sparring class to illustrate a particular combination, but never as a preset part of the curriculum.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think both have their place. The programed one-steps are useful for teaching timing, distancing and movement in a controlled and structured situation. As students progress, the structure loosens and becomes more open ended.

Yup. There are advantages and trade offs, you have to decide if the benefits are worth the trade offs. For me, I don't think so. Lots of instructors disagree with me.

Latest Discussions