WTF Dan certificate = $2

OP
F

foolbae1228

WOW!!! Makes you wonder how many people in America actually earned their Black Belt. Scary thought.

How did you find this, just random search or other information? Just curious, please don't take this as an attack, I just want to see if I can't find any other certificates for other arts.

Thanks,

Farang-
Ryan

OP
J

Jim Tindell

Haha. I don't take this as an attack... I already have a real Kukkiwon certificate.

I was searching for this book, so I typed in "Black Belt Tae Kwon Do" in the search, and the certificate was the 1st match.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't look right. The outside border art and the top design. And so if its only signed by the master, it wouldn't be. Plus all the seals and stamps would be missing.. and the number. Not much. TW

OP
F

foolbae1228

Thank you. I will let you know if I find other certificates for other arts.

This is just to funny, yet it's very sad that this knowledge can be prostituted so easily. It just goes to prove the saying:

"There's no such thing as a bad martial art, but there's always bad martial artists."

Farang-
Ryan

OP
J

JanneM

That U.S. flag makes me lauhg...
That should not be in Kukkiwon certificate. Only thing that you can find from that diploma that is in Kukkiwon diploma is the picture of the Kukkiwon building and maybe the text is similar.
No number and no stamps and signed by master (not head of Kukkiwon)... No no no... That is not Kukkiwon diploma.
Anyone eho have visited Kukkiwon might remember that from the Kukkiwon shop you can buy gup diplomas that are similar to that one from amazon.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
JanneM said:
That U.S. flag makes me lauhg...
That should not be in Kukkiwon certificate. Only thing that you can find from that diploma that is in Kukkiwon diploma is the picture of the Kukkiwon building and maybe the text is similar.
No number and no stamps and signed by master (not head of Kukkiwon)... No no no... That is not Kukkiwon diploma.
Anyone eho have visited Kukkiwon might remember that from the Kukkiwon shop you can buy gup diplomas that are similar to that one from amazon.
JanneM's right and I agree with the reviewer that it is reprehensible that someone would sell something that is a counterfeit Kukkiwon. Of course, the flipside is that anyone buying it is also without integrity.

JanneM-the shop you mentioned no longer exists. There is the Mooto and Adidas stores behind Kukkiwon, but no supply store on site.

Miles

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not surprised at all. Many people treat martial arts like any other commodity-to be bought, sold, and traded at will. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. If a Grandmaster can sell his recommendation for a profit, I can buy a paper Dan certificate on E-bay.

OP
A

Andy Cap

Yeah i saw these on Google and compared them to mine - bogus.
I also saw certificates for ITF Tang Soo Do, and they were way off too.

I am glad they are at least not correct. The very idea is sad, but what are you going to do? In truth, the only reason we do martial arts is for ourselves, so who cares about the rank or certificate?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They may be way off but the average guy off the street might not know the difference and there in is the problem.

OP
J

JanneM

Miles said:
JanneM-the shop you mentioned no longer exists. There is the Mooto and Adidas stores behind Kukkiwon, but no supply store on site.
I know that the good old Kukkiwon store does not excist no longer. I am fortuned to have been visited that legendary store (and I bought Nike uniform form there). Adidas/Mooto store was already in place at the time I visited there (2002). Nice litle store too but lacs the spirit that old store had. :)

If I would drink I would raise my pint once for the Kukkiwon store.

OP
A

Andy Cap

tshadowchaser said:
They may be way off but the average guy off the street might not know the difference and there in is the problem.
Not really a problem though. If some dolt wants to buy one and say he is a 15th dan in TKD, so what? That won't get him anywhere in the real world, and most likely he will get hurt because of it.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
That won't get him anywhere in the real world, and most likely he will get hurt because of it.

Darwin in action

Now, if he starts teaching with those 'credentials', then it's a problem

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy Cap said:
Not really a problem though. If some dolt wants to buy one and say he is a 15th dan in TKD, so what? That won't get him anywhere in the real world, and most likely he will get hurt because of it.
well first no 15th degrees in tkd but I get your point the proof is in the pudding as they say!!!!

OP
A

AnimEdge

It does say:

Legal Disclaimer
These certificates come blank, and are meant for a Master to endorse and seal for his/her students. Store of Martial Arts will not fill out or sign these certificates and is not responsible for misrepresentation from the purchaser.
But who reads those anyways :p

OP
J

JanneM

bignick said:
arq
You sure??? This guy seems to be working on it...
LOL. Silly goose.:-D
By the way he counts his grades I have met man who is 33.dan. Seo Myung-Soo the vice president and tecnical director of European taekwondo union. Very nice man and I had a wonderful time talking with him.

Seo Myung-Soo
9.dan taekwondo (Kukkiwon)
9.dan hapkido
9.dan hanguldo (his creation)
4.dan taekwon-do (ITF)(swiched to Kukkiwon WTF)
2.dan Karate (Shotokan (->Moo duk kwan))

OP
A

Andy Cap

OK I have a silly question here, but I am still trying to understand WTF terminology. What the heck is a poom dan as compared to a dan?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A Poom is what a lot of people refer to as a junior black belt. I think guideline is usually someone who is under the age of 15.

OP
J

Jim Tindell

Haha @ bringing up Master Marquart. He's one of my master instructors. If I remember correctly, he just achieved his 7th dan. They addressed him as "Grand Master Marquart" at the last tournament I was at. He's a nice guy.

Latest Discussions