Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympics.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What about the point system though? I wonder how all of these grappling approaches would compromise on this? I would love to see a sub/pin only event, but I think that is unrealistic.
There would have to be a point system, as well. But, with the emphasis on pins AND submissions, there would be little camping out. Where matches tend to stall, particularly in the upper weights, is when one guy is resting and defending in a bad position, such as under mount or in side control. With the potential of winning via a pin, it forces the opponent on the bottom to work diligently to escape and re-establish guard or reverse the opponent.

Coming up with a point system would be a relatively simple matter, I think. I'd propose the following:

2 points for a takedown.
2 points for your opponent if you pull guard (basically ceding the takedown)
2 for Knee on Belly
3 for passing guard.
4 for mount
4 for back control

I'd look to the Abu Dhabi tournaments as a guide for allowed/not allowed submissions. Off the top of my head, I'd allow heel hooks, knee bars and toe holds, along with calf and bicep cutters.

In fact, about the only submission I'd recommend banning would be neck cranks.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once they told the wrestlers they had to wear clothes it's been all downhill since... :)

Unclothed wrestlers could be a boon for TV ratings! :D

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me, maybe it is a ratings thing, maybe not, but in the history of the Olympics sports have come and gone and in some cases come back again (such as golf and rugby which have been voted back for 2016).

I am not sure of the reason behind which sports are chosen to stay and which are chosen to go (other than ratings now) but with team sports always being in the Olympics in some form or other it seems odd that Cricket (not a favorite sport of mine) only existed once (I believe) in 1900 and has never come back.

Others such as the Steeple Chase, which I think is always fun to watch, was only in the 1900, 1904 & 1908 Olympics and come on, who would love to see tug of war again? (1900 - 1920). :)

If they do officially remove wrestling in 2020, I can honestly say that with how popular the sport is and with the advent of the UFC and the prevalence of wrestling within that sport, it will no doubt make a return.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The coverage.

The BBC coverage as well as the Eurosport coverage was brilliant so I assume you were watching someone elses coverage of it. I don't think there was a sport that wasn't covered well, the commentators who I all hate anyway lol, weren't so good but you can't have everything!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I didn't watch very much of the wrestling, but I enjoyed the Judo immensely. They streamed most events live, and many of the brackets were available on demand in their entirety.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I didn't watch very much of the wrestling, but I enjoyed the Judo immensely. They streamed most events live, and many of the brackets were available on demand in their entirety.

I watched a lot of the judo as well. I found that the online resources were easiest to access. I don't know if it was broadcast much on regular TV though.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd second that. Nothing against TKD. My son takes TKD and it's been great for him. But TKD is a modern sport that is of specifically Korean origin (assuming you ignore it's roots in Karate). By contrast, wrestling, in its various forms, is about as universal and ancient as it gets. It may not have much of a fan base, but the grappling arts really express the essence of individual human competition. With this decision, the Olympics really seem to be losing credibility and relevence. These decisions should be more than a popularity contest. Besides, if all people are looking for is entertainment, why bother with the Olympics at all. Theres always videogames.

While I agree about wrestling, plenty of Olympic events are relatively modern in origin (BMX? Snowboarding?), and they all started somewhere. TKD is popular all over the world, something anybody anywhere can do. I don't know why can't just keep wrestling and add a new event.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score