would you live with only the Kwon???

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just an hipotetic question, let's asume you are not good with your kicks anymore, would you stop doing Tae Kwon Do and do some other MA not involving kicks? or would you stick to the kwon concept inside Tae Kwon Do and be happy?

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are people who practice tae kwon do that are confined to wheel chairs. In fact, I recall seeing some forms designed just for these folks to practice.

We all express martial arts in our own ways, regardless of the style descriptors. There is nothing wrong with someone choosing to focus on other aspects of TKD other than the spectacular kicking techniques, regardless of their age or physical shape. The name 'tae kwon do' does not specify a proportion of 90% kicking, although that might be how the sport side chooses to interpret it.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We all express martial arts in our own ways, regardless of the style descriptors. There is nothing wrong with someone choosing to focus on other aspects of TKD other than the spectacular kicking techniques, regardless of their age or physical shape. The name 'tae kwon do' does not specify a proportion of 90% kicking, although that might be how the sport side chooses to interpret it.

I couldn't have said it better.

Taekwondo, as other arts offer a wide variety of techniques and very few practitioners are good at all of them. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. We tend to apply most of our effort into techniques we prefer and what we're better at.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just an hipotetic question, let's asume you are not good with your kicks anymore, would you stop doing Tae Kwon Do and do some other MA not involving kicks? or would you stick to the kwon concept inside Tae Kwon Do and be happy?

Manny

I'll keep doing TKD, do the best I can with my kicks, and work to develop skill with techniques suited to my strengths rather than my weaknesses. If your kicks are 'not good', how is your mobility? The older I get, the more I need to make use of my strengths to offset as many of the advantages of youth as I can. Most people can develop better skills than they imagine, so it's never good to abandon training something just because it's not a strength. Knee high kicks can be devastating, as we've discussed before.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are people who practice tae kwon do that are confined to wheel chairs. In fact, I recall seeing some forms designed just for these folks to practice.

I would like to add that related to some kicks it is just plane genetics and no one should feel they are less worthy or no longer should do TKD, There is a piece of TKD that works for all ages and body types. A slower deliberate lower kick to specific points or areas is all that is needed in self defense.
The primary focus of TKD should be overall health and personal well being. One of the World GM's of small circle fighting was asked if he kicks to the head? he said sure after the guy is on the ground.

My TKD GM of 40 years once lamented to me in 2002 over the poor quality fighting in Olympic sparing that they should just call it Kwon Do because people had lost the use of thier hands?? Those are his words not mine. The original people I started with Erney Reyes Senior and others if they had been allowed to full contact with out hand protection would have stoped people's hearts through the chest protector. I remember GM Reyes training for the 3rd World championships he took 3rd in heavy weight I was told and all he used was a front snap kick and a reverse punch but you would not want to get hit with it?

Originally I was taught 70% feet 30% hands? dosn't matter what matters is what works for each person.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry to sidetrack track the thread just for a minute, Manny, forgive me but wanted to reach wide on this one.

Do you have any links at all for the sentence highlighted please? I'd like anything, but specifically for people with prosthetic legs, usually one, would be perfect. anything about how to kick and/or balance while kicking etc. If you think it would derail thread please PM, Thank you!