Kempo and Jeff Speakman

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if some of the ranks were awarded honorarily? Double 9th dan, even at 58 for a talented guy, is pretty advanced. Of course, I don't know a bit about how the rank structure is set up either.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder if some of the ranks were awarded honorarily? Double 9th dan, even at 58 for a talented guy, is pretty advanced. Of course, I don't know a bit about how the rank structure is set up either.
Yeah, exactly. It's one of those things that make me go "hmmm...".

Or, I guess, "huh"

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope you can find that photo. I'd love to see it. Also, I'm going to check out 5.0. Is he doing ok, now? Did he beat cancer? I know someone like him could beat it. He has all the tools.

To summarize what his Kenpo 5.0 is in a nutshell, it is kind of American Kenpo's response to MMA (as envisioned by Jeff Speakman). Through interviews I have read, he felt that more and more people are exposed to MMA and the average person would likely come across "mma style attacks" on the street even if someone hadn't formally trained in it. Much like people in the past of kenpo's history developed techniques to respond to boxing style attacks and Judo style attacks that they dealt with in Hawaii.

Latest Discussions