Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps, I'll see what's going on here in Buffalo
Buffalo Yang Center @ Red Dragon is planning on something. Bill Adams might be as well, but I haven't spoken with him in a few weeks.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i don't really get the whole tai chi day thing. i'll be teaching tomorrow if anyone is around LI, has interest, and doesn't want to wait a month for the 'day'.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
No, I don't plan on doing anything special for it. I've known about it for a few years, but haven't ever joined in on any of the events. Maybe someday I will. I don't know.

pete, if the Wikipedia article is accurate, the idea of the even is "to promote the related disciplines of T'ai Chi Ch'uan and qigong in sixty countries since 1999. The mission of this multinational effort is ongoing, to expose people to the growing body of medical research related to traditional Chinese medicine and direct them to teachers in their home towns." So I think the basic idea is to popularize tai chi and qigong and show you where you can learn them in your area.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah, i know what it is, just don't get it... kinda like 'earth day'. just do it regardless of the day. seems like another hallmark holiday. bah humbug~

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
This year's World Tai Chi & Qigong Day will take place on Saturday, April 26. Anybody here planning to do something for that day?

http://worldtaichiday.org/

To the extent that this allows me to reconnect and get a work out in with old friends - and possibily interests some new folks - this is a good thing. If I can, I'll join one of the events.

OP
Myrmidon

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
yeah, i know what it is, just don't get it... kinda like 'earth day'. just do it regardless of the day. seems like another hallmark holiday. bah humbug~

Hey... nobody is forcing you to participate... if it's not your cup of tea... fine...

OP
Myrmidon

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
To the extent that this allows me to reconnect and get a work out in with old friends - and possibily interests some new folks - this is a good thing. If I can, I'll join one of the events.

It's a good way to bring Tai Chi to the attention of the general public, and an opportunity to get together with other teachers and students... nothing wrong with that.

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
That is why I like our Taoist Tai Chi awareness day, as you have like a 1000 people all doing the same exact Tai Chi set. It's very powerfull when you have that many people doing the exact same thing. A world Tai Chi day is a good idea but wouldn't be as organized... perhaps that is why we do our own day.

OP
Myrmidon

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
That is why I like our Taoist Tai Chi awareness day, as you have like a 1000 people all doing the same exact Tai Chi set. It's very powerfull when you have that many people doing the exact same thing. A world Tai Chi day is a good idea but wouldn't be as organized... perhaps that is why we do our own day.

It all depends on how you look at it. If you don't feel comfortable with the possibility of discovering that there is much more to Tai Chi than the sectarian and secluded view of the art that seems to exist within the confines of the TTCS world... if you don't feel comfortable exploring beyond what your organization allows you to... then you may be better off staying away from any World Tai Chi & Qigong event... In that case you may prefer to stick to the Taoist Tai Chi awareness day...

But... if you are ready to venture beyond the comfort zone in which you have been for so long... I assure you that you will be fascinated by what you will discover... Your only regret will be not having done it sooner...

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have seen and gone to many differnet martial arts events, it's not a comfort issue at all about gaining knowledge of what's out there... I think you miss understood me. I am just very happy w/ the TTCS and never had any issues at all. I have done a handful of martial arts in my life and it came to the point where when I was introduced to the TTCS I really felt that this was a group I could really grow with, especially since everyone who was there was there because they wanted to be, not because they wanted a paycheck. (I am not saying anything bad about accepting money for teaching by anymeans)

I have many videos on differnet styles of tai chi and a few videos on my fav weapon (3 section staff) and would one day love to be taught how to use it correctly. (Owned one since 1997... collecting dust on my wall).

My point was really that 1000 people all doing the same style of Tai Chi is more impressive than 1000 people scatterd about doing a lot of different styles. They are both a great bennifit though to spread the awareness of the bennifits of Tai Chi.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
god bless ya, DaPoets. you'd think in a forum discussing taoist arts, you wouldn't have so many people being judgemental and telling you what to do~ keep on keepin' on!

pete

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
lol thanks Pete, but w/ me being the noobie here, I somewhat expected some questions and strong advice. I'm 30, manage about 70 people at my job, and I am easy going for the most part and nearly always find a nice way to work w/ all kinds of people.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
What constitutes "impressive" is ultimately a subjective matter.

Personally, I would be far more impressed by 5 people performing a classic art well than by a herd of 1000 enacting a flawed concept in unison.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
What constitutes "impressive" is ultimately a subjective matter.

I was going to say something similar. "Impressive" is a matter of opinion. While some people may be more impressed by the sight of 1000 people performing one form in unison, others may be more impressed by seeing the variety of forms and styles of tai chi. Everyone's different.

Personally, I think I'd rather have variety at an event like this. If people attend, there are a lot of different things to see, and if one thing isn't to their liking, hopefully another thing would be. If everyone's doing the same thing at the event, it's an all-or-nothing deal -- like it and stay, or don't and leave. *shrug* Maybe that's just me though. I'm sure both types of events have their uses.

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
ok all forgive me, I should have stated that for me 1000 people doing the same style is more impressive.

An example comes to mind in the online game called Planet Side (MMO). I was running my little trooper on the ground toward an enemy tower and suddently about 30 flying vehicles came out of no where, blasted the heck out of the tower at the same time, and then a large jumbojet like thing flew over and 10 guys bailed out ontop of the tower to clean out the inside to take it over. It was like they were all in unison and I joined the team and they have been "online" friends of mine for about 5 years now.

For me, unison, team work, all done in large numbers, is just very stunning.

I don't think either way is better than the other, but when one sees one or the other, based on their tastes and preferences, one will have a bigger impact than the other to that individual.

We could have just as easily been called a Zerg in Planet Side even though it was completely organized and played out to the 'T'

I hope this gives a better example of my thoughts.

Own the Day!

Latest Discussions