Workouts

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What does everybody that teaches feels is a good strong workout for the kids ages 13 and under. Also the 14- 32 and the 32 and older students.
What do you do on a average day with them.

If you are a student what do you wish the instructors would do with you if you had a say so in it.
Terry

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
for my 13 and under crowd, i want to see them sweating but not dropping like flies. if you get them past the lethargic nintendo mindset they tend to start smiling more and putting out greater effort. at our studio, i'll call 'sweat check!' during a workout and then tousle a student or two's hair. if it's not at least damp, we pick it up a notch.

for the teens and adults, we push pretty hard during a workout class. not every class, mind, but at least once a week. the key at that age is to help us remember that we're capable of being more than we are. so we'll go until the students in poorer shape start to miss a beat or two and until the better conditioned students are starting to sweat.

older adults attend the same classes, but they understand that they're to choose what they want to do and to modify the workouts to suit their needs. actually, that's true of most students, but i give the older adults the most leeway. first, they're my seniors and i feel funny telling them what to do. second, it's not appropriate to push so hard over forty -- they know their bodies by then and can make better decisions than i can about how hard to work.

also important to remember who you're dealing with. some students are simply capable of more than others today. tomorrow that will be different, but i'll tailor the day's workout based on class attendance.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ahh well, i usually have the little kiods 13 and under doign only half of what i have the adults or older teens do.

Personally i like my instructer to push me to my limits, then push me beyond my limits..it's so refreshing i donno.

(btw terry i quit tkd:( my instructer had problems and he's not running things right so i told him im quiting, the sadest part is that i never got my black belt certificit, he never gave it to me, so i lost my black belt rank...oh well sadest part of ALL is theres no tkd school within 100 miles of me..and the prices of gas today im stuck)

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The young ones need a strong ab routine, a good stretching routine, and need to be constantly harped on about technique.
Its easier to become flexible while you are young, and if you keep it up you wont loose it in the later years. The abs are the center of everything you do, and should be trained hard from an early age. We all need work on our technique, but when your young it can become muscle memory alot easier because kids have an empty cup, and it needs to be filled with good technique before they start to think they know everything.
The weight training needs to wait a little while.

Latest Discussions