Martial arts conversation + wearing a trenchcoat = Neo....???

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok WTF...I was out to lunch and one of my co-workers was asking about what martial arts are and why they are useful. We were just minding our own business and continually getting hit with "Dude..its neo", "there is no spoon" and crap like that. Come on..its San Francisco, anyone who doesn't have a umbrella welded to their hip or a overcoat is a walking dishrag this time of year.

I swear...people are just looking for any excuse to drop a line or attempt to pick on someone for something totally unrelated to the topic. Have you guys run into this issue before? Just hanging out and talking about your art only to have it interupted by some person with a agenda?

Beau

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Financial District....2nd and market. Talk about a strange place to pick out one guy wearing a overcoat talking about martial arts eh?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, that's kind of weird. Some neighborhoods you are more likely to get people trying to approach you for various odd reasons, but the Financial Dist. wouldn't be one that I would think of. Of course SF certainly has its share of oddballs, and they can show up anywhere...

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
never had that one, but i tell ya i never, and i mean never, mention what i do for a living if i'm in a bar i don't know. made that mistake a couple of times when i was younger and there's always some idjit who wants to prove that he can whup a black belt.

same used to go for parties full of drunk strangers. these days i just don't go to those parties.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a beautiful black leather trench coat that I often don't wear because it attracts the wrong kind of attention. I certainly never wear it into a bar, and now the cigarette smoke isn't even an issue.

It didn't used to be so bad, but every year it seems to get worse. Trenchcoat mafia, Matrix, none of it helps and the image is just growing.

Ah well.

Still my favorite coat.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
isn't that a sign of getting old? when we put up the trenchcoat that makes us look like a stone bad a** because it's less of a hassle to wear a regular coat?

dude, i'm getting geriatric.

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its just a wonderful functional piece of clothing. What I wouldnt give for a little of that 40's suit days at times.

I haven't picked a school to start training at yet as I am just getting my feet wet here in SF so far. Flying Crane is trying to get to do some tibetian white crane or something...but hell I don't know all good to me.

Latest Discussions