Working out outside of the dojo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good looking dog, bet he is smart.

I have a 12 year old blood hound who smells and does not move much. 140lb
He was a beauty in his prime smelled good to, like a horse.

I have a 3 year old half Vizsla, half Whippet very fast. 46lb
Bad on leash, pulls want to go.

I have a 2 1/2 year old Lab I found at the

frisbee park when he was about 3 months old. 90lb
Lab great on leash unless there is a squirrel or rabbit,
Then he is very hard to hold.

I have a 3 year old medium size poodle, mother of the Yorkipoos. 18lb

I have two 2 year old half poodle , half Yorkshire Terrier,
I guess you call them Yorkipoos, very cute. 14, 18 lb

Keeping up with my dogs is a full time job.
mines 22lbs, use him as a dumbbell for doing a bit of curling

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
no it was my kindle that fell in the canal causing me to buy a Samsung, the kindle however had the book mark for the study on it, hence I cant access it with out scuba gear
Ah. I knew something happened, just jumbled it up in my memory

OP
Orion Nebula

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
that Info is meaning less with knowing your age and resting heart rate, but ill go out on a limb and say you max heart rate is 170bpm and you resting heart rate is close to 90, in which case it's not being over weight that's your problem it's being chronically unfit, hitting 70% of max heart rate on a gentle stroll is awe inspiringly unfit for a 80 yo and is 5he very reason you should get your bike out whilst you are still in a position to do so.

I'm surrounded by fat unfit middle aged people who all want to a) be fitter and b) loose weigh , but they can get fit as they are to fat and can't exercise the weight of as they arnt fit enough . so they do nothing but complain whilst going round and round in a logic trap, the only 5hing that's certain is 5hey will still be fat and unfit next year only fatter and unfitted than they are now, until they grasp the idea that 5hey have to actually put some effort in and lay off the donuts and beer

Yikes, I'm 50 years old :eek:

Only 33, actually, which puts my max heart rate at 187 unless there's some new way of calculating it that I'm unaware of. My resting heart rate is around 65. So I'm not awe-inspiringly unfit, I'm just hauling a lot of mass around and it raises my heart rate when I go for a fairly leisurely walk. Not a very leisurely walk, mind you. Taking the dogs for a walk around my neighborhood with perfectly flat roads and I barely crack 100, but I leisurely walk in the woods with a little bit of varied terrain brings it up into the 115 range.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
no it was my kindle that fell in the canal causing me to buy a Samsung, the kindle however had the book mark for the study on it, hence I cant access it with out scuba gear

Pay my airfare and I'll fetch it out.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Learning to toe strike when you run will alleviate a lot of the pounding but it requires a different type of stride:

I... did not know that! Thought heel-to-toe was the safer and way to run! Wow, learn something new every day :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good looking dog, bet he is smart.

I have a 12 year old blood hound who smells and does not move much. 140lb
He was a beauty in his prime smelled good to, like a horse.

I have a 3 year old half Vizsla, half Whippet very fast. 46lb
Bad on leash, pulls want to go.

I have a 2 1/2 year old Lab I found at the

frisbee park when he was about 3 months old. 90lb
Lab great on leash unless there is a squirrel or rabbit,
Then he is very hard to hold.

I have a 3 year old medium size poodle, mother of the Yorkipoos. 18lb

I have two 2 year old half poodle , half Yorkshire Terrier,
I guess you call them Yorkipoos, very cute. 14, 18 lb

Keeping up with my dogs is a full time job.
That's awesome Bruce :) what a great bunch!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they would surely be looking if runners had a higher rate 5han the general population, of which comparatively few have arthritis, so the non running sufferers will only make up small % certainly if you look at younger age groups ,,
There are ways to control (partly, at least), but I'd have to see the actual study to know if they did. Sometimes the studies don't control for such things, and just acknowledge the weakness in their data for future follow-up.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I... did not know that! Thought heel-to-toe was the safer and way to run! Wow, learn something new every day :)
It's by far the most common, and how I learned when I started running. For a while I used "barefoot" style shoes to develop a forefoot/midfoot strike, and then went back to standard running shoes with that gait. Unfortunately, it was too late for my crappy knees.

On a tangent, I never did figure out how to use a forefoot/midfoot strike on a significant downhill.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bearing in mind people can train hard without developing injuries.

As an overview. He was training twice a day high intensity and not over training.
Agreed. The key is to know how hard you can train. Which most folks won't know when they start.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people can train harder than they think they can.
Yes. And most people also still don't know where overtraining is. A ramped-up start is still best for avoiding injuries and overtraining. This is less true when there's a professional involved monitoring to prevent injuries and overtraining.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. And most people also still don't know where overtraining is. A ramped-up start is still best for avoiding injuries and overtraining. This is less true when there's a professional involved monitoring to prevent injuries and overtraining.
theres no such thing as over training, just under recovery, when you've recovered you can train again, it doesn't need an expert to tell you when you've recovered, its blatantly obvious, actually injuring yourself is a slightly different thing that requested bad technique, carelessness or a certain level of stupidity to achieve, certainly once you've established any lever of fitness, someone who has spent 5 years sat on the couch is a bit different

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres no such thing as over training, just under recovery, when you've recovered you can train again, it doesn't need an expert to tell you when you've recovered, its blatantly obvious, actually injuring yourself is a slightly different thing that requested bad technique, carelessness or a certain level of stupidity to achieve, certainly once you've established any lever of fitness, someone who has spent 5 years sat on the couch is a bit different
In most cases, they are the same thing, simply stated from opposite sides. If someone wants to increase the frequency of exercise, they start running up against the limits of recovery. Overrun those limits, and you're over-training for the available recovery time.

Of course, if you actually train so hard you injure yourself in a single session, I suppose that would be different from under-recovery, but that's not what we're talking about.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
With all this stuff, it’s hard to remember exactly what the question was in the first place. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. I’ve never sidetracked a single thread :)

The best training thing to do outside the dojo is addressing whatever your weaknesses are. Some people need cardio, strength, flexibility, etc.

My favorite thing is hitting the bag. It helps with practically everything - cardio, strength, coordination. The only thing it can’t do is get out of the way and punch me back. I focus on speed, power, footwork, pure technique, making combos flow better, and so on. A bag isn’t just for hitting it as hard as you can for as long as you can. IMO it’s the single best and most versatile piece of equipment a MAist can get.

Running, biking and rowing are way too boring for me. They feel like a punishment because they’re so monotonous. And I never feel like I get a good workout; either my legs get tired before the test of me is tired, especially on a bike, or I get so sick of the same movement and feel like I spent all that time on nothing. Hitting a bag never bores me. I never just go through the motions like I end up doing whenever I’m doing other stuff.

A bag’s versatility is basically limited by your imagination. There’s so many ways to work out with it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all this stuff, it’s hard to remember exactly what the question was in the first place. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. I’ve never sidetracked a single thread :)

The best training thing to do outside the dojo is addressing whatever your weaknesses are. Some people need cardio, strength, flexibility, etc.

My favorite thing is hitting the bag. It helps with practically everything - cardio, strength, coordination. The only thing it can’t do is get out of the way and punch me back. I focus on speed, power, footwork, pure technique, making combos flow better, and so on. A bag isn’t just for hitting it as hard as you can for as long as you can. IMO it’s the single best and most versatile piece of equipment a MAist can get.

Running, biking and rowing are way too boring for me. They feel like a punishment because they’re so monotonous. And I never feel like I get a good workout; either my legs get tired before the test of me is tired, especially on a bike, or I get so sick of the same movement and feel like I spent all that time on nothing. Hitting a bag never bores me. I never just go through the motions like I end up doing whenever I’m doing other stuff.

A bag’s versatility is basically limited by your imagination. There’s so many ways to work out with it.
I couldn't "like" and "funny" at the same time, and there's no "almost agree". So, I just opted to choose "funny" for the first sentence. I'm so ashamed of myself...I just normally never get sidetracked in a thread. :angelic:

I agree with the basic premise, though: find something that doesn't bore you, and has many benefits. I do like working the bag, but have a hard time holding back. I often wear myself out earlier than I intend (my goal is usually 10 1-minute rounds). Rowing is my answer. Everybody (including the OP - see? right on topic!) has to figure out what that thing is, and then figure out where it fits into their fitness plan.

Latest Discussions