Wing Chun's Central Concept

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A mun sau can be a punch...so maybe that is what @hunschuld is saying.

Yup!
How do you define punching range?

Once your range is reached, do you initially engage by stepping forward with a mun sau to create a bridge?

Technically 2 punching range issues however experience boils it down to one. The two are when can I hit him and when can he hit me. In essence when I am in a range that I can hit him with stepping in..

For example Lets say I am left side forward and think that I can step in and hit with a jab, pole punch for those about to scream WC doesn't have a jab, I am trying to hit but I expect he will block intercept because of the distance so I punch but am also asking for his hand. Since I have trained for this the instant contact is made I move on to what to do next.

Jens

Green Belt
Reaction score
In essence when I am in a range that I can hit him with stepping in.

1.In regards to “you are in a range that you can hit him with stepping in” Is this the range of taking one arrow step in with your lead leg? or a range where you need to take a larger step in with your rear leg to be able to hit him?

2. When at this range if neither of you don’t take a step in, would this range be considered kicking range?

3. Is your application of the above the same as in this WSL quote? “Do not launch an attack until there's a distance of one step between you and your enemy.” Wong Sheung Leung

Last edited:

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not familiar with the WSL quote but sounds like a similar thing. I don't have any real WSL experience to go by.

yes, kicking range comes before punching range

How you step and how you gauge your sticking distance is personal to you. The optimum distance is when you feel you can land a powerful punch. I don't want to miss or just graze I want it to be something real

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Technically 2 punching range issues however experience boils it down to one. The two are when can I hit him and when can he hit me. In essence when I am in a range that I can hit him with stepping in..

For example Lets say I am left side forward and think that I can step in and hit with a jab, pole punch for those about to scream WC doesn't have a jab, I am trying to hit but I expect he will block intercept because of the distance so I punch but am also asking for his hand. Since I have trained for this the instant contact is made I move on to what to do next.
Just to clarify, are you saying your goal is to establish contact (a bridge), so you can "move on to what to do next"?
3. Is your application of the above the same as in this WSL quote? “Do not launch an attack until there's a distance of one step between you and your enemy.” Wong Sheung Leung
No, it is not the same. In that quote, WSL is referring to controlling distance and the efficacy of an attack. In WSLVT, the idea of range is not over-emphasized, and contact is also not a prerequisite for hitting.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The pole and knives are as much empty hand forms holding weapons as they are weapon forms.
^^^^^^^^^ THIS!
Most of what is taught in Pole and knives in WC is not just for pole and knives but empty hands as well. It just isn't taught until then and is utilize within everything you should have learned in other parts of the system.

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So if I understand this correctly, Once your kicking range is reached, you step in to your punching range?
No, what I mean is I am 61 so at this stage I am not going to launch a kick even if I am in the range to do so. However a 25 yr old TKD black belt will send one extremely fast so I have to be aware when I am in a range that that can happen. The goal is not to brush or graze when I strike but to hit with power so I have to punch with my legs and lower body behind the punch so I will attack when I can step in and punch so I can make contact before my elbow has extended. I don't reach for my opponent

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just to clarify, are you saying your goal is to establish contact (a bridge), so you can "move on to what to do next"?

No, I am saying my reflexes will react if contact is made. Not every punch lands people move ,block ,just throw their hands up etc.When someone gives you energy you can take that energy but in a fight you do not have time to think what to do next. If you punch and you get pak'ed from the outside to the inside you must answer that reflexively. You can not think about what you should do .However you cant get caught up so you must have both hands trained so one is always attacking. On youtube when of the biggest fighting/sparring issues I see is the pause between action or 1,1,1,1.

The best bridge is my hand to his face but life is seldom that easy.

Jens

Green Belt
Reaction score
so I have to punch with my legs and lower body behind the punch so I will attack when I can step in and punch so I can make contact before my elbow has extended. I don't reach for my opponent

so in addition to closing into punching range, it’s your “step in” which adds power from your legs and lower body by transferring your body mass forward behind your punch. So that you make contact before your elbow has extended, so that your punch can penetrate deeper into the target upon elbow extension?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not familiar with the WSL quote but sounds like a similar thing. I don't have any real WSL experience to go by.

yes, kicking range comes before punching range

How you step and how you gauge your sticking distance is personal to you. The optimum distance is when you feel you can land a powerful punch. I don't want to miss or just graze I want it to be something real

Do you counter punch though?

Because then you could be out of range drawing the guy in and force him to make that step.

Which if you can catch the guy is about as hard as you can hit someone.