Wing Chun vs. Aikido

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are there any videos that show a Wing Chun practitioner vs. an Aikido practitioner? I've searched youtube, and there are plenty of kickboxing vs. aikido, karate vs. aikido, ju jitsu vs. aikido, but I haven't located any Wing Chun vs. Aikido. Of course the problem with these videos is that without knowing how good the individual is in his art it is hard to determine what system really is more practical in terms of winning an actual fight. And without knowing the rules going into the match, it makes it even more difficult. Still, I'm curious, if you know of any out there please provide a link.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...the problem with these videos is that without knowing how good the individual is in his art it is hard to determine what system really is more practical in terms of winning an actual fight.

With what you said right there it makes no sense in looking at videos of 1 art vs. another. Nothing good ever comes from it.

People of the loosing art will ALWAYS say that that person "is horrible, needs more training", etc. People will criticize their technique and always question why they did one move since another move would have been waaay better. They will say how they would have EASILY beaten that other person. You never hear someone say "hey he was great...other guy was just better than him."

People from the winning art will say "look at how superior our art is." etc.

Then it gets ugly and becomes, "my sifu can beat your sifu".....

I use to look at style vs. style and have since stopped. It has no real bearing on you and is pointless. Don't even waste your time, if you do look your on a never ending quest. If it is something that really makes you that interested, I say find a live person who practices that art and pratice with them and see 1st hand. And make sure you try people of different skill levels.

Just my 2 cents.

It is never the art but rather the person in which decides if you win or lose.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is never the art but rather the person in which decides if you win or lose.[/quote]

I got that impression from doing my research. Some of the guys on the Youtube really weren't all that good at their said art. Not even close to the speed of my former Sifu in Wing Chun, who was so fast I would have thought it had been faked if I hadn't seen it with my naked eye. Still, I'm curious, but your right, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
i used to practice aikido and now practice wing chun, i think it would be interisting to see two skilled practictioners of these styles in action but i agree the out come depends on individuals skill level rather than on the art its self.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are there any videos that show a Wing Chun practitioner vs. an Aikido practitioner? I've searched youtube, and there are plenty of kickboxing vs. aikido, karate vs. aikido, ju jitsu vs. aikido, but I haven't located any Wing Chun vs. Aikido. Of course the problem with these videos is that without knowing how good the individual is in his art it is hard to determine what system really is more practical in terms of winning an actual fight. And without knowing the rules going into the match, it makes it even more difficult. Still, I'm curious, if you know of any out there please provide a link.

Not only does it have to be practical it has to be practical for you . I like to use elbows and knees a lot and the speed and aggression of Wing Chun is a very good fit for me .

Not saying that Aikido doesn't have those attributes , its just that I like the particular Wing Chun flavour , same as I like vanilla milkshakes and not chocolate ones , its just a personal preference.

I don't know jack about Aikido except that Steven Seagal does it and It seems to work for him , you sound like you have experience in Wing Chun , why don't you go and train in Aikido for a while so you can learn more about it and decide for yourself.

Like Ace said it is the singer , not the song . I have met some Wing Chun guys who couldn't punch their way out of a wet paper bag by the same token I have met others that would rip your head off and spit down your neck.

Like one of my old instructors used to say , you have to have a bit of the mongrel in you , a mindset that says I don't care what you do I am going to hurt you bad . I suspect it would be the same in Aikido , you can't base your decision on what you see on Youtube.

To be quite honest if Youtube was around when I started Wing Chun based on some of the yo yo's that you see on there calling themselves Sifu and their crappy standard I probably would never have joined up .

I was just lucky that the first exposure I had to it was in the flesh at a reputable school with a very small women instructor who threw a punch at my nose that I barely saw all I felt was air hit me in the face , she demonstrated a couple of other things and I was sold .

Go and do Aikido for a while at the very least you will make some new friends and might come away with a few tricks to add to your Wing Chun arsenal .

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I sense that the OP is going to degenerate to a Style vs. Style thread.

As far as the Youtube style vs. style vids are concerned, they tend to be a lot of idiot kids playing in their back yards, throwing sloppy technique they saw in a Jet Li flick.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From the early times Ueshiba Sensei developed aikido without sparring because his philosophy was one of harmony, not conflict. Therefore you were responding to defuse an attack, not promulgate it. For that reason I see no point in aikido being used in a stand up fight situation against a wing chun practitioner, or any other. Both wing chun and aikido have great points, just as each has its failings. I would see aikido being a very valuable cross training tool for wing chun as I use it to enhance my karate.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you ask nicely I might be able to make some videos of Cuong Nhu guys applying Wing Chun. Which would include us using Aikido. I hate "this Style vs. Style" videos. But I do like "this Style + this Style = this awesome-ness" videos.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well I've been told (on here) that Randy Williams, who is an excellent practitioner of wing chun, bodyguards for Steven Segal, who is an aikido guy

In the UK, I have found most Aikido guys to be too fixed in the traditions of style and rely on people grabbing you in a certain way

When I did some free clinchwork with an aikido guy, all the holds he got me in I got out of and he kept waiting for me to take the incentive (ie he had no attacking moves). And this guy was an instructor of Aikido

Next time I will videotape it, but the trouble with posting those kind of vids is that people take it as a style vs style

Generally, I do not rate Aikido, but that is not to say there is one or two schools that train it well and use it effectively
My main greivance with them is that they claim to be very self defence orientated when 90% of their moves will not work at street level

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Go and do Aikido for a while at the very least you will make some new friends and might come away with a few tricks to add to your Wing Chun arsenal .[/quote]

There arn't any Aikido schools in my area. There arn't any Wing Chun schools either. The martial arts community in my area is very limited, unlike Seattle where I lived for over twenty years. In Seattle you can find almost anything. I don't really have any Wing Chun in my arsenal, although I still practice straight punching once in awhile. My arsenal is mostly American Combato, a little Krav Maga, and a very little Tae Kwan Do. I have a lot of respect for Wing Chun, but feel more comfortable with American Combato, it fits me better. I'm merely curious to see an Aikido practitioner against a Wing Chun practitioner.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I sense that the OP is going to degenerate to a Style vs. Style thread.

As far as the Youtube style vs. style vids are concerned, they tend to be a lot of idiot kids playing in their back yards, throwing sloppy technique they saw in a Jet Li flick.

Yeah, I saw a lot of that during my research.

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong here, but just from what i have read etc, is that aikido is a LOT harder to pick up than wing chun?
then again, thats only what i have read, so its probally all crap

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong here, but just from what i have read etc, is that aikido is a LOT harder to pick up than wing chun?
then again, thats only what i have read, so its probally all crap

Others may disagree with me but I would certainly say so.

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What you are asking for here is a waste of time. If you are good at wing chun go spar with someone from Aikido. IF you're not good at wing chun or aikido visit both schools and see which one gels with you more. Then take classes. If you are into beating someone from the art other than yours (be it aikido, wing chun or any other) keep sparring against someone from that art and hopefully you'll improve enough to beat that guy in that art.

But what happens when you face someone from a completely different art? :rolleyes:

Don't think about one art versus another, just make yourself a good fighter.

cheers

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Heck, as far as I'm concerned, it's legitimate to wonder how one approach might fare against another. But, the only meaningful way to explore this is to forget "youtube" and find an Aikido guy to do some friendly sparring with. Drop your egos, don't worry about who wins, and just try things to see what happens. In other words, what Kamon Guy just said.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Others may disagree with me but I would certainly say so.

I would defiantely say that most arts are harder to pick up than wing chun
There are some arts like boxing and MT which have very simple techniques, and it is more about how you apply it (ie positioning)

Many other arts such as BJJ, aikido, ninjitsu, wushu etc have extremely complex moves which require you to 'prepare' your opponent
(ie you need to get into a certain position to pull off an armbar)

In wing chun you can attack from any position using pretty much the same moves. Same with boxing

Aikido relies a lot on your opponents doing certain attacks and then the defence is usually overcomplicated

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Go and do Aikido for a while at the very least you will make some new friends and might come away with a few tricks to add to your Wing Chun arsenal .

There arn't any Aikido schools in my area. There arn't any Wing Chun schools either. The martial arts community in my area is very limited, unlike Seattle where I lived for over twenty years. In Seattle you can find almost anything. I don't really have any Wing Chun in my arsenal, although I still practice straight punching once in awhile. My arsenal is mostly American Combato, a little Krav Maga, and a very little Tae Kwan Do. I have a lot of respect for Wing Chun, but feel more comfortable with American Combato, it fits me better. I'm merely curious to see an Aikido practitioner against a Wing Chun practitioner.[/quote]

I train with some Akido guys. My good friend did akido for awhile(no expert) and a guy who just joined my sifu school.He's been doing akido for 3 years and his friend also has a few years in akido also. IMO Akido has no moves.meaning if you don't give them the energy they need they can't do anything. And of course I'll wont play there game so it wont work.It's totally defensive IMO from what I've been exposed to. I think you need to mix it with something else to make it functional.just my opinion.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There arn't any Aikido schools in my area. There arn't any Wing Chun schools either. The martial arts community in my area is very limited, unlike Seattle where I lived for over twenty years. In Seattle you can find almost anything. I don't really have any Wing Chun in my arsenal, although I still practice straight punching once in awhile. My arsenal is mostly American Combato, a little Krav Maga, and a very little Tae Kwan Do. I have a lot of respect for Wing Chun, but feel more comfortable with American Combato, it fits me better. I'm merely curious to see an Aikido practitioner against a Wing Chun practitioner.

I train with some Akido guys. My good friend did akido for awhile(no expert) and a guy who just joined my sifu school.He's been doing akido for 3 years and his friend also has a few years in akido also. IMO Akido has no moves.meaning if you don't give them the energy they need they can't do anything. And of course I'll wont play there game so it wont work.It's totally defensive IMO from what I've been exposed to. I think you need to mix it with something else to make it functional.just my opinion.[/quote]

They always use to make the joke about how if you don't attack Steven Segal, he wouldn't be able to beat you. Therefore, in Under Seige they should have just avoided him and the bad guys would have won!

I experienced the exact same thing with some of the guys I have trained with. They couldn't do anything unless I gave them energy. I hate arts like that. Sometimes you have to throw the first punch (ie if your mate/girlfriend is being attacked you can't wait for the attackers to start on you - you have to get involved), or if someone backs you into a corner with a knife - you can't wait til he stabs you!

I'm sure there is some good aikido out there, I just havent seen any yet

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I train with some Akido guys...

I experienced the exact same thing with some of the guys I have trained with. They couldn't do anything unless I gave them energy.

I had a similar experience. WT/WC may be tougher for them than some arts, because we don't give them much to work with.

I'm sure there is some good aikido out there, I just havent seen any yet
I think that's a bit harsh. Aikido has different objectives than WT/WC. I find many things about it appealing.

Latest Discussions