Wing Chun - the Wong or Cheung way?

B

BaktoBasics

Hi everyone. Have been doing wing chun in Melbourne Australia at the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association. I must say, having experience in martial arts, it seemed to be a McDojo with profiteering objectives etc.

This was affirmed when I stumbled accross a post that totally attacks Cheung, his school, his system etc. It can be found here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-2384.html

What do you think of this? The actual school seemed abit too corporate etc.

I have access to another school. The senior instructor there was a student of Wong Shun Leung. Would I be better off there?

So, what do you think of the comments in the posts in the link above?

If a school has "seen the money", so to speak. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to move on so as to avoid getting into bad habits etc.

I though Cheung was a top guy. Thats why I found the link above and the posts therein quite odd. Can any of you more experienced martial artists verify or deny the claims?

Cheers

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just stick with it for a while and see for yourself. Thats the best way to know for sure, Im not big on reviews, I like to know for myself.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ive read good and bad things about william cheung. i have read good and bad things about just about every martial arts master with a bit of notoriety. how do u feel about it? do you feel like you're learning something? stick around and give it a chance, dont always let the bashers lead your way.......they may be misguided themselves.

OP
S

Spook

I'd check out the other school. It couldn't hurt to see how their school differs from your current one and then make a decision from there.

Hope it works out,
Tom

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BaktoBasics said:
Hi everyone. Have been doing wing chun in Melbourne Australia at the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association. I must say, having experience in martial arts, it seemed to be a McDojo with profiteering objectives etc.

This was affirmed when I stumbled accross a post that totally attacks Cheung, his school, his system etc. It can be found here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-2384.html

What do you think of this? The actual school seemed abit too corporate etc.

I have access to another school. The senior instructor there was a student of Wong Shun Leung. Would I be better off there?

So, what do you think of the comments in the posts in the link above?

If a school has "seen the money", so to speak. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to move on so as to avoid getting into bad habits etc.

I though Cheung was a top guy. Thats why I found the link above and the posts therein quite odd. Can any of you more experienced martial artists verify or deny the claims?

Cheers

Everybody is going to have their own opinions about a school or teacher. If you're interested in a certain school, then ultimately its you that has to make that choice. If you're interested in WC, check out the school for yourself, ask questions, take a trial class, and watch a few classes. As I said, ultimately its you that needs to find what suits you best.

Good luck on your search! :ultracool

Mike

Latest Discussions