Wing chun plum flower posts?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I was trained in this method.
Its good to see an article about this somewhat little known training.
Thx

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Saw this interesting article and wondered if any one trains with the plum flower posts V.T style?

http://www.wingchunillustrated.com/2013/10/22/wing-chuns-mui-fa-jong-steps-posts/

Like Yak, I don't practice this much. Many years back, I used to play around on top of up-ended cinder blocks, but not these days.

Incidentally, I'm from a branch with the same roots as Yak's. He's right that we have this footwork in the dummy (both the five "dots" arranged in a square with the fifth in the center as shown in the picture, and also with the five "dots" arranged like the petals of a plum flower --or the corners of a pentagon). However our applied footwork involves keeping our weight back and sliding the back foot along the ground. So stepping on top of the "plum flower piles" from post to post, while an excellent exercise in balance, is not very applicable to the way we actually move in our lineage. A couple of centuries ago it may have been a more relevant practice.

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We practice this in my lineage, well... the 5 points. In our footwork we are 50/50 stepping ball of foot than heel always, never sliding feet. I've heard of ppl using concrete blocks to accomplish this. For us proper footwork is paramount.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
VT_Vectis

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A few lineages practice it in some form, then. At what point in youre training was it introduced?

I would have thought, though I'm still a novice, that the footwork would still be relevant as it instinctively teaches you to move to a different position if need be while still maintaining the correct stance etc. though it may be different to normal doesnt biu gee teach us that to survive we can break the usual rules?

As I say , I'm a novice still and not even sure if WSL method teach the posts, but I'd welcome feedback.
Thanks.