Wing Chun footwork

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've heard that Wing Chun footwork isn't as important as maintaining a solid stance. Of course you want to keep your distance and know when to close the gap but you don't want to move your feet too much because you compromise balance. What are your thoughts?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone who says you should just stand there is dumb. Wing Chun footwork implies more that you shouldn't bounce up and down all over the place.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Being at the range that WC usually should reside, a good footwork is everything. Don't ignore it. I think people get confused by SLT and thinks a good solid stance means being stationary.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've heard that Wing Chun footwork isn't as important as maintaining a solid stance.

Sorry, You heard wrong. Stance and footwork are inter-related, and both are essential. Here's an example of how much emphasis my old Chinese sifu (a direct student of Ip Man) placed on footwork:

When a small group of us (about four) began semi-private training with him in 1980, we had already been training another lineage of WC. He was so particular that he made us train nothing but basic footwork (stance turning, huen bo, and advancing-step) for 6-8 hours a day for several days. One member of our group had been a "sifu" in the other WC branch. He had to train a day and a half longer than the rest of us before moving on.

Just because our steps tend to be short, doesn't mean that they are unimportant. In fact exactly the opposite is true. The less you move, the better your movements have to be!

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Footwork is a very deeply integrated component of the variant I study. The objective is to "get off the line of force" to minimize the degree of confrontation of force with your opponent. Here is a short video with our footwork exercise.

~ Alan, Wing Chun Student

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I studied under Sifu John Wahnish who studied under Sigung Philip Holder. Sigung Holder trained with William Cheung and then under Moy Yat before adapting both systems and starting the North American Wing Chun Association.

~ Alan

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I studied under Sifu John Wahnish who studied under Sigung Philip Holder. Sigung Holder trained with William Cheung and then under Moy Yat before adapting both systems and starting the North American Wing Chun Association.

~ Alan

Ok thanks

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't relate to others on this thread but I don't slam them either
First I learned how to stand properly, There are tests for ensuring that the entire structure becomes integrated.
Then with both legs equally balanced one learns all the ma bo stances. There is a great amount of footwork
in the wing chun that I do.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, You heard wrong. Stance and footwork are inter-related, and both are essential. Here's an example of how much emphasis my old Chinese sifu (a direct student of Ip Man) placed on footwork:

When a small group of us (about four) began semi-private training with him in 1980, we had already been training another lineage of WC. He was so particular that he made us train nothing but basic footwork (stance turning, huen bo, and advancing-step) for 6-8 hours a day for several days. One member of our group had been a "sifu" in the other WC branch. He had to train a day and a half longer than the rest of us before moving on.

Just because our steps tend to be short, doesn't mean that they are unimportant. In fact exactly the opposite is true. The less you move, the better your movements have to be!
Beat me to it. If you don't use proper footwork you can't maintain proper structure either.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions