William Cheung, Leung Ting

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dear me....
Who is Yip Man's legitimate successor? Who cares?
Wing chun is so varied and different, all I care about is who is a good teacher, who can hold their own in a fight etc

Cheung vs Boztepe was funny to watch
Cheung (for years) has claimed that his art is
the ‘traditional art’, and has slated other arts as being ‘modified’
ALL wing chun has been modified in one way or the other
It truly shows how poor a master is when they have to fight with another master over who is the best or who is right
Boztepe merely went in and shut Cheung up in a very direct way
I personally applaud that
If a person has a big mouth and claims something – he has to be able to back that up
Whilst I don’t condone going into people’s seminars and beating them up, Cheung had literally asked for anyone to prove him wrong (prove that he wasn’t the greatest chunner on the planet)

If a student comes to me and says that he has learnt something from another teacher I will look at it and make comments where I can
I will not slate the move, just because it comes from another teacher. That’s just ridiculous

The different spellings are merely to distinguish those styles from others
(ie if we were all called ‘wing chun’ it would get pretty confusing) That is why we are called Kamon Wing Chun instead of just Wing Chun

I think this thread has been done to death

You can find numerous clips of all these characters (Leung Ting, William Cheung, Emin Boztepe) on youtube and whilst you should never make judgements based on a video, they will give you an idea of each person’s character and style

Peace out

K Dries

White Belt
Reaction score
[]
Just remember,my friend there is good & bad in every art,as to ying&yang,So look at the Art as the art,not the people as the Art.

K Dries

White Belt
Reaction score
Dear me....
Who is Yip Man's legitimate successor? Who cares?
Wing chun is so varied and different, all I care about is who is a good teacher, who can hold their own in a fight etc

Cheung vs Boztepe was funny to watch
Cheung (for years) has claimed that his art is
the ‘traditional art’, and has slated other arts as being ‘modified’
ALL wing chun has been modified in one way or the other
It truly shows how poor a master is when they have to fight with another master over who is the best or who is right
Boztepe merely went in and shut Cheung up in a very direct way
I personally applaud that
If a person has a big mouth and claims something – he has to be able to back that up
Whilst I don’t condone going into people’s seminars and beating them up, Cheung had literally asked for anyone to prove him wrong (prove that he wasn’t the greatest chunner on the planet)

If a student comes to me and says that he has learnt something from another teacher I will look at it and make comments where I can
I will not slate the move, just because it comes from another teacher. That’s just ridiculous

The different spellings are merely to distinguish those styles from others
(ie if we were all called ‘wing chun’ it would get pretty confusing) That is why we are called Kamon Wing Chun instead of just Wing Chun

I think this thread has been done to death

You can find numerous clips of all these characters (Leung Ting, William Cheung, Emin Boztepe) on youtube and whilst you should never make judgements based on a video, they will give you an idea of each person’s character and style

Peace out
Well said, Hope to hear more from you(Cheers)

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a question, asked from great ignorance.

Was Yip Man the only master that produced students and masters? I look at some of these lineage charts in Sifu Fungs book and in Leung Tings, and the tree seems incomplete. I'm not sure if these guys just died before passing on their knowledge, or if the authors just didn't add their "successors" because it didn't pertain to the lineage of their art.

Like Leung Bik (Leung Jan's son), did he teach anyone?
Or futher up the tree like Wong Wah Po? It just ends there, and he was a direct student of Yim Wing Chun's husband. (I would love to learn from someone who knows what he learned!) Did he not teach anyone? Or did Chan Wah Shun ONLY teach Yip Man?

Does everyone wish to have their WC traced back to Yip man because he was so great, well known, or taught the most students in Wing Chun's history at that time? Or was he the only Master left alive to pass WC/WT on?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Basically, there are numerous wing chun styles out there. Yet in the 50s there were the 'wing chun wars' where numerous schools fought each other (you've probably seen the rooftop fight clips)

Yip Man's students often won these (with people like Bruce Lee, Cheung etc) Many attribute Yip Man to unifying the schools and ending the wars

But there is no disputing that Yip Man was a great fighter and practitioner of kung fu, hence many people want to be associated under him

Since those times other people like Benny Meng (eeeuuuurrggghhh) have claimed that they follow a different lineage and path

Personally I don't really think any of it matters that much.

Kevin Chan (my Sifu) trained under Sam Kwok (via Steve Mair), then went and learnt from Ip Chun, then learnt from several other masters. Therefore, it is hard to define his lineage
Some might describe it as Ip Chun - Sam Kwok - Steve Mair - Kevin Chan
But realistically it is more like Ip Chun - Kevin Chan
But at the end of the day, I wouldn't train under a person just because they trained directly under Yip Man

For me, they have to be a good fighter, a good teacher, very good technically and has an open mind. If they have those qualities, i don't care if they were taught from a DVD!!!

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
But at the end of the day, I wouldn't train under a person just because they trained directly under Yip Man

For me, they have to be a good fighter, a good teacher, very good technically and has an open mind. If they have those qualities, i don't care if they were taught from a DVD!!!

lmao KM!!!

matsu

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a question, asked from great ignorance.

Was Yip Man the only master that produced students and masters? I look at some of these lineage charts in Sifu Fungs book and in Leung Tings, and the tree seems incomplete. I'm not sure if these guys just died before passing on their knowledge, or if the authors just didn't add their "successors" because it didn't pertain to the lineage of their art.

Like Leung Bik (Leung Jan's son), did he teach anyone?
Or futher up the tree like Wong Wah Po?...

An excellent question, but let's hit it on a new thread. I think most of us agree that this one should quietly die.

Latest Discussions