Why is their so much disrespect for Karate? And what can we do to stop it?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ameri-Do-Te is the only martial art....

Funny thing is yes I know this is all comedy and a parody etc and I love enter the dojo I'm a big fan of it but the guy who plays master Ken is actually a kenpo black belt so is the guy who plays Todd his assistant. You can actually see in some videos there's a photo of ed Parker on their wall

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been practicing karate for some time now and I was wondering why there's so much disrespect for this martial art. I dont understand that I cant talk about Karate casually without getting that awkward look. I mean people practice wrestling and their practically praised for it. I mean I'll be in a group setting and someone will ask "So play any sports?" I dont wanna say anything because when I do I get that awkward look, but then again I dont wanna lie
Think Lyoto Machida.

Anyway,
- If you do self defence, what are you afraid of?;
- If you do Aikido, you dance with long skirts and throw people trying to hug you;
- If you do MMA, you’re a bloody violent person;
and so on...
- Ah, and wrestlers look gay in their suits and fighting. No one is immune from criticism .

I don’t think karate is exception. And I am careful when telling what do I do as well (except in these forum :))

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
this video is for people who think Karate is weak:

I disagree. Not in principle at all, I'm a Karate man and proud of it. But in the specifics of that video. I don't know anything about that competition except for one thing. If you tap that Karateka in the face he's a pussy. I don't mean land a good shot, I mean just touch him.

And why is it okay to kick to the face but punching is a no no? What up with that?

Normally, I'd be embarrassed for the guy, but God, I just want to fight him. A Karate man. Ha.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree. Not in principle at all, I'm a Karate man and proud of it. But in the specifics of that video. I don't know anything about that competition except for one thing. If you tap that Karateka in the face he's a pussy. I don't mean land a good shot, I mean just touch him.

And why is it okay to kick to the face but punching is a no no? What up with that?

Normally, I'd be embarrassed for the guy, but God, I just want to fight him. A Karate man. Ha.

That's Andy Hug (RIP), absolute legend within Kyokushin and a renounced fighter. Is arguably one of the best kickboxers too, his tournament record for both karate and kickboxing is impressive. Not sure of the context of that particular fight, but yeah was odd his reaction to those, but perhaps were harder than they looked, not sure, especially if used to kickboxing. But not sure of the year.

Ah yeah and the no face punch thing is Kyokushin rules. I think the idea behind it is because multiple head punches are far more dangerous than kicks to the head, as kicks can generally just knock you out easier, whereas constant head punches again and again is potentially more damaging to the brain. And yeah, I guess kicks don't always knock out however hehe.

But yeah Sosai Oyama wanted to keep Kyokushin tournaments bare knuckle fighting, and bare knuckle constantly to the head he took out for obvious reasons.

I'm thankful in my Kyokushin training we didn't do head punches in our regular sparring sessions! XD

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Andy Hug could definitely take a punch to the head. His pro kickboxing record is testament to that. If it was illegal in that match, he was just trying to get a call IMO.

Kyokushin (actually Oyama dojo before he named it Kyokushin) had head punching. Too many guys were getting KOed by head punches and losing training time. Too many guys were breaking their hands. Too many guys were cutting their hands on opponents’ teeth. Shigeru Oyama (no relation to Mas Oyama) said that in an interview. He also stated they started throwing uppercuts at the chin and wrapping their hands in washcloths so the wouldn’t get cut by someone’s teeth :)

Oyama eliminated head punches but kept head kicks. The rationale was kicking the head took more skill, and it was easier to block head kicks than punches. KOing with a head punch was too easy; KOing with a head kick was significantly harder. Combine that with the injury rate and shortness of fights from head punching, and Oyama banned head punches.

I’m not saying any nor all of that is 100% logical; I’m just stating what I’ve read and heard.

And @Buka a karate man bruise on the inside, but these guys wouldn’t know that because they’re a bunch of Barry White lookin’ MFers.

minn8325

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Out of the gate I got no issues with Karate,

this what the public sees, most class are kata and pulling punches and kicks. The majority(80% not all) karate practitioners I’ve met can’t fight have never been in a fight and don’t fight.

so they get made fun of a lot buy anyone who fights because it mostly just yelling and fight choreography.

that being said their are some who do karate that will literally knock the **** out of you. They are few and far between.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of the gate I got no issues with Karate,

this what the public sees, most class are kata and pulling punches and kicks. The majority(80% not all) karate practitioners I’ve met can’t fight have never been in a fight and don’t fight.

so they get made fun of a lot buy anyone who fights because it mostly just yelling and fight choreography.

that being said their are some who do karate that will literally knock the **** out of you. They are few and far between.

And then there's those who generalise because they don't know any better....yes I'm looking at you :rolleyes:

And I'm stopping my fingers trying to use the keyboard to correct your spelling and grammar. Quite magnanimous of me actually because I know many karateka who can KO easily.

minn8325

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And then there's those who generalise because they don't know any better....yes I'm looking at you :rolleyes:

And I'm stopping my fingers trying to use the keyboard to correct your spelling and grammar. Quite magnanimous of me actually because I know many karateka who can KO easily.

yeah, I agree especially about my spelling. I was just commenting on why the general disrespect across the board. One of the worst *** beatings I ever took in my life was in the 7th grade after taking karate 2 days a week for 2 years...ends up the other side wasn’t doing kata’s.

for the record Karate is a legit combat system if your taught to fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, I agree especially about my spelling. I was just commenting on why the general disrespect across the board. One of the worst *** beatings I ever took in my life was in the 7th grade after taking karate 2 days a week for 2 years...ends up the other side wasn’t doing kata’s.

for the record Karate is a legit combat system if your taught to fight.

I've been a Karateka for over forty years now, I do kata and I can fight, many of us can.
Blaming kata and karate as a whole for your inability to fight instead of the instructor who obviously didn't teach you is unjust.
I know a good many karateka who can and do fight full contact.

You can't say 'for the record' when you are not a well known and respected expect in the field.

minn8325

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your right I should have known this thread is a trap.

So my final Response is “I’m not sure what this thread is about Karate is one of the more respected martial arts out there. I’ve never heard anyone bag on it. Most all schools teach some of the most vicious hand to hand fight skills I’ve ever seen.”

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your right I should have known this thread is a trap.

So my final Response is “I’m not sure what this thread is about Karate is one of the more respected martial arts out there. I’ve never heard anyone bag on it. Most all schools teach some of the most vicious hand to hand fight skills I’ve ever seen.”
I don’t believe this thread is a trap, but I do believe it is based on some false premises.

If people make blanket statements about a martial method, there will be people who dispute those statements. This thread is based on blanket statements.

minn8325

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don’t believe this thread is a trap, but I do believe it is based on some false premises.

If people make blanket statements about a martial method, there will be people who dispute those statements. This thread is based on blanket statements.

Hakkan Mordrake

White Belt
Reaction score
Point people to things like Karate combat, Kudo, Uechi, old school Shotokan etc.

The main thing that everyone says with karate is "they don't even punch the face bro, HuEhUeHuEh."

Which makes the next logical course of action showing them karate where people are getting punched in the face.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the general public actually see that much karate, not much of other martial arts either. Boxing is still the most well known one, the furore over MMA has mostly died down and it's still a niche sport.

There's always ill informed comments about all sports and activities that humans like to amuse themselves with. Frankly though if you are happy with what you do whether it's biathlon, chess, stamp collecting, bell ringing, Tai Chi, karate or MMA why should we care what 'outsiders' think? Especially people from other countries.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Point people to things like Karate combat, Kudo, Uechi, old school Shotokan etc.

The main thing that everyone says with karate is "they don't even punch the face bro, HuEhUeHuEh."

Which makes the next logical course of action showing them karate where people are getting punched in the face.
im with tez, i think katate a high public profile, very nearly everyone has some idea of what it is, but beyond that are competly indifferent and know nothing of styles and who punches in the face and who doesnt .

disrespect for a ma is largely done by other martial artists , the general public dont actually care much either way.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's the fact that your judging the world by a small group of immature boys. This is what teenage guys do they mock and ridicule everything they themselves don't do.
As another teenage boy I wholeheartedly approve this message

Latest Discussions