Why do martial arts?

the zen boxer

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
My personal view on why we take up martial arts, hope you enjoy it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would prefer to discuss via this forum rather than by watching a video.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
A somewhat closed minded individual. I know of many folk that simply take MA for the exercise and movement. At 66 years old, I’m training for my 2nd degree black. I feel that the MA’s keep me supple and moving well. My grand children appreciate that I can still rough house with them, including some basic grappling, where other GP’s are watching on the sidelines. I believe that I’m a good example to them. My kids say that they brag about my abilities to their friends. I’ve had to use my training 3 times in over 40 years. These were not life threatening situations or the people were civilized just enough to know not to persist. Most civilized folk will not run into life threatening physical altercations in a lifetime, but the well rounded training of the MA’s make them, in my opinion a super fitness program no matter your personal mindset.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What? You don't have pockets? I've got dobak pants from Century that have a hip pocket. Liked it so much I added a hip pocket to every dobak I own.
I've never had a single pocket in any of the dogi I've owned. Most of them were $20 "student" gi, but it holds true for the one I spent $140 on, and for the Judo gis I wear now.

Bujin Design sold a samugi for a while that I kept meaning to get. Basically, it was a dogi with pockets, meant for wearing around the house.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had a single pocket in any of the dogi I've owned. Most of them were $20 "student" gi, but it holds true for the one I spent $140 on, and for the Judo gis I wear now.

Bujin Design sold a samugi for a while that I kept meaning to get. Basically, it was a dogi with pockets, meant for wearing around the house.
I've got a wrap-style dobak (not the usual V-neck) that's got an inside breast pocket.
I can't believe I'm the only one with pockets. I feel so special.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Kicking Jeans form Century. Quite possibly my favorite pair of pants ever. I wear them all the time.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Kicking Jeans form Century. Quite possibly my favorite pair of pants ever. I wear them all the time.
1633438001349.png

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What? You don't have pockets? I've got dobak pants from Century that have a hip pocket. Liked it so much I added a hip pocket to every dobak I own.
Yep, I had a pair. They laced up in front and had a liner inside to help the leg side plus had huge openings at the feet.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a real hard time letting go of comfortable gi pants. My wife usually throws them out to save me from myself.

I like the heaviest gis available. After a few years they're just right.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Geez... I keep yearning for pyjama pants that have pockets... but DOGI pants... well....... that is now up there too!

Dboxobi

White Belt
Reaction score
Its probably the smartest physical hobby in todays society. Self defense is must IMO, I wouldnt want to waste years letting the body age learning useless sports. You learn technique, body mechanics, get a good workout, and all can be applied to possibly give you a fighting chance in a life or death situation.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s become a habit I don’t wish to shake-off! The tangential avenues it’s study has taken me along have been fulfilling (Zen, tea ceremony, bonsai, ikebana, swordsmithery, poetry, calligraphy, Noh, Shintoism etc), Budo has helped me become a well-rounded person, a calmer person. I genuinely believe it has been the biggest single influence in my life above that of even my parents! I look forward to attempting my 5th Dan in the coming year in my traditional Japanese art and I’m thankful for what it has made me. 🙏🏽

Latest Discussions