Newbie to forum

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds similar to my old club. If you didnt give enough notice you couldn't attend you were bad mouthed in class, even if you did give enough notice often the reason you wouldn't be there would be challenged (e.g. choosing to attend a family party rather than train would be critisied in front of the student in front of the whole class, this happened to me quite a few times, with one occasion the instructor having almost a tantrum and cancelling next weeks lesson for all the class because I had chosen to celebrate a friends birthday instead of training).

There were a couple of times I was asked suddenly to lead the class, because the instructor was busy complaining about the previous class to someone else. I felt very uncomfortable doing this as I had no pre warning, I was not an instructor and I paid to train.
That's not a martial arts school. That's a wannabee cult run by a whiny narcissist.

Ah well mine wasnt that bad that they cancelled the class but still yeah it's stupid like that. One time they got me to take the class while they all had a chat in the back room about non club stuff. But hey I did it and they wanted me to take the sparring so I did and I know I didn't do an amazing job at it but I've never taught sparring in my life and they had a go afterwards saying it was unorganised well guess what I'm not a black belt I haven't done it before and I had to lead it on my own maybe if the real instructors got off their *** and taught there wouldn't be a problem

That's just unprofessional.

Drew Ahn-Kim

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Aloha and Welcome! I to am a newbie here, but I'm already overwhelmed by the wealth of knowledge across so many different disciplines and skill levels here.

Finding a good club, instructor/master, and students is perhaps one of the most important things in determining your overall experience with whatever your art of choice is. A lot of us have been there, and I'm so glad you recognized it rather then just staying there and being miserable or thinking that's the way all clubs are. I look forward too your input in this community and seeing your growth without whatever it is you decide to do.

You're already taking steps that so many merely think about taking but never do.

Latest Discussions