Why do Japanese arts use the Japanese language?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was most of the way through development when Germany surrendered. It was developed for use against either.

As for its use atheist Japan, setting aside whatever peoples' personal motivations were, given our tactics and technology of the time, a ground invasion of Japan would have killed even more civilians than the atomic bombings did. Keep in mind that during the invasion of Okinawa, somewhere between 15% and 50% of the island's civilian population was killed (as well as 15,000 American combatants and 100,000 Japanese combatants).

Battle of Okinawa - Wikipedia

That does not make targeting civilians morally okay. By 21st standards, the atomic bombings of cities are an atrocity. But the question of "if not this, than what" is a hard one, and eliminates this characterization that it was an act of lazy, comfortable Americans.
.. why did they have to invade either Okinawa or japan .? they had sunk all the ships they could have just have accepted conditional surrender and gone home and saved even more lives...if saving lives rather than setting up naval bases was there main concern.. BETWEEN 15 AND 50 % ....??. that's some margin of error

Last edited:

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
.. why did they have to invade either Okinawa or japan .? they had sunk all the ships they could have just gone home and saved even more lives...if saving lives rather than setting up naval bases was there main concern.. BETWEEN 15 AND 50 % ....??. that's some margin of error

There are various analyses of the civilian cost of the Battle of Okinawa. Given the total destruction and various methods of estimating, as well as differing ways of classifying who is a combatant in that sort of hellish warfare, there is a wide range of estimates.

Japan would not have surrendered if the USA just turned around and retreated. And they were refusing to surrender despite the fact that we'd crushed their navy. If we wanted Japan to surrender, I'm not aware of a third option besides the nuclear bombings or a ground invasion.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are various analyses of the civilian cost of the Battle of Okinawa. Given the total destruction and various methods of estimating, as well as differing ways of classifying who is a combatant in that sort of hellish warfare, there is a wide range of estimates.

Japan would not have surrendered if the USA just turned around and retreated. And they were refusing to surrender despite the fact that we'd crushed their navy. If we wanted Japan to surrender, I'm not aware of a third option besides the nuclear bombings or a ground invasion.
japan wanted to sue for peace , the Americans insisted on unconditional surrender, because they wanted naval basis.

so they killed an unspecified number at Okinawa and evaporated some women and children with a A bomb to get their way and their bases

as it is the japanese only surrender when Russia declared war on them, so the whole thing was a waste of lives

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but you were TELLING me what he was thinking, you know when he was slaving away thinking "got to beat the germans, oh we did great "
Re-read my first post on this, #133. No reference to the Germans in particular, rather to the war effort, and a casual reference to a fictional TV series based on a scenario in which the Germans and the Japanese won WWII. Not all that important anyway. I don’t care to argue. I’ll let you get back to the OP.

To the rest of you, sorry about the digression.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
a fictional TV series based on a scenario in which the Germans and the Japanese won WWII.
A fictional movie, "The World Sinks Except Japan".

japan-sink.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It’s always nice to hear the opinion of a Brit concerning World War 2.

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I asked my Aikijuijitsu teacher why he doesn't use Japanese terminology and he said its because we don't live in Japan. He then asked if I had a problem with that. lol

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
japan wanted to sue for peace , the Americans insisted on unconditional surrender, because they wanted naval basis.

so they killed an unspecified number at Okinawa and evaporated some women and children with a A bomb to get their way and their bases

as it is the japanese only surrender when Russia declared war on them, so the whole thing was a waste of lives
That is what you took away from the war effort? Sad and very misguided. Makes a person wonder what are they putting in the history books over there.
Strangely, you seem to be the only one with that perspective.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i can actually see Little Boy being an extension of American culture. we are all about instant gratification, very impatient and tend to run roughshod over others.:wacky:
Huh? I'm reading this drinking my instant coffee, and wondering what my being impatient and craving instant gratification has to do with dropping the A-bomb.

I hear you geezer.
@hoshin1600, that may be an impression left by some in the more recent generations but it certainly is not the mainstream culture in America. You, like many others have gotten sucked into believing everything you hear/read from the "news" mediums you choose to listen to.

Honestly, that comment is very insulting.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well that doesn't hold up to scutany, the Germans weren't even close to having a nuclear bombs, they effectively gave up any serious attempt to make one in 1941 , d coding to concentrate resources on conventual weapons.

in fact the Americans didn't have one either when the war in Europe finished, so it was developed just to bomb Japan, who were not even trying to make one, so the suggestion they had to get there first is nonsense
And I guess Japanese planes did not bombs on the Hawaiian Islands either, right?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is what you took away from the war effort? Sad and very misguided. Makes a person wonder what are they putting in the history books over there.
Strangely, you seem to be the only one with that perspective.
most of them have history in them, you should try one, you may amazed to realise what contain with in, rather than biting on the narrative pushed by the american establishment and hollywood,

there are multiple modern democracies that just dennie that crimes against humanity committed by that countries passed actually happen, america it seems amongst them,

if you dont agree with my take, try posting some facts that contradict my posts rather than emotional statements

the heavy civilian death toll in okinawa was mostly the result of the americans shooting anything that moved and to a much lessor extent the japanese encouraging them to commit suicide

to then use that death toll for which they were mostly responsible as justification to drop A BOMBS is bizarre logic. though maybe if they went on a killing spree of civilians on main land japan comparable with okinawa, then the death toll may have been higher
THEN
Japan was quite prepared to let america bomb half a dozen cities rather than unconditional surrender, america was quite prepared to drop another 4 bombs or so to make them.

i
in that context its hard to decide which was the bad guy

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
most of them have history in them, you should try one, you may amazed to realise what contain with in, rather than biting on the narrative pushed by the american establishment and hollywood,

there are multiple modern democracies that just dennie that crimes against humanity committed in that countries passed actually happen, america it seems amongst them,

if you dont agree with my take, try posting some facts that contradict my posts rather than emotional statements

the heavy civilian death toll in okinawa was mostly the result of the americans shooting anything that moved and to a much lessor extent the japanese encouraging them to commit suicide

to then use that death toll for which they were mostly responsible as justification to drop A BOMBS is bizarre logic.
THEN
Japan was quite prepared to let america bomb half a dozen cities rather than unconditional surrender, america was quite prepared to drop another 4 bombs or so to make them.

i
in that context its hard to decide which was the bad guy

What are you trying to say???
So, what do you think would have happened to your island, and a lot of Europe had the U.S. not gotten involved?

Let me ask you for proof of 4 other bombs and whatever the heck it was you were trying to say about suicides?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are you trying to say???
So, what do you think would have happened to your island, and a lot of Europe had the U.S. not gotten involved?

Let me ask you for proof of 4 other bombs and whatever the heck it was you were trying to say about suicides?
itss rather debatable what would have happened to this island, we weren't in any danger of being invaded in the short term, the issue was the blockade starving us of resources.

if we had stuck it out till the russian invaded germany then we would have been fine.

its part of the american narrative they saved europe from the nazis, when really that was the russians. its more true that they saved europe from the russians, well at least half of it

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
itss rather debatable what would have happened to this island, we weren't in any danger of being invaded in the short term, the issue was the blockade starving us of resources.

if we had stuck it out till the russian invaded germany then we would have been fine.

its part of the american narrative they saved europe from the nazis, when really that was the russians. its more true that they saved europe from the russians, well at least half of it
Wow, just wow.
What a small mind.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow, just wow.
What a small mind.
actual history doesn't agree with your holliwood america saved the world

to be honest i'd be more grateful if they hadn't let 10,000 of us die before they decided to help, by that point we were past the worst and could have stuck it out for another year or so till we were '' rescused by the russians.

do you know we have only just finished repaying the war aid you sent ? you may have helped but my god did you charge us for it

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And I guess Japanese planes did not bombs on the Hawaiian Islands either, right?
no im pretty certain they did, its also widely accepted that america was trying to provoke japan into an act of war, further more that they had broken the japanese codes and new an attack was interment and chose not to defend pearl harbour, apart from moving their aircraft carriers out of harms way

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
actual history doesn't agree with your holliwood america saved the world

to be honest i'd be more grateful if they hadn't let 10,000 of us die before they decided to help, by that point we were past the worst and could have stuck it out for another year or so till we were '' rescused by the russians.

do you know we have only just finished repaying the war aid you sent ? you may have helped but my god did you charge us for it
The last loan was Discharged in 2006. Let's do the math; 2006-1945 = 61 years. Again, Wow, just wow.

Latest Discussions