why do I mostly see older folks when attending adult Karate class?

Dboxobi

White Belt
Reaction score
Karate classes Ive attended, I tend to see mostly folks in their mid 40s upwards all the way to 70s (plus kids) but very few young adults. Is Karate more friendly for n aging body?

Instructor

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Older people have more time and money to pursue goals that would have been more difficult when they were younger because of just starting out, building a family etc.

Oily Dragon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Karate classes Ive attended, I tend to see mostly folks in their mid 40s upwards all the way to 70s (plus kids) but very few young adults. Is Karate more friendly for n aging body?
Depends on the type of karate.

I'll bet a lot of people try to pick up a martial art during their midlife crisis. It makes perfect sense given all the Marvel, Star Wars, and DC stuff out there. People want to be like heroes, and you know, there's nothing wrong with that. Forget the haters. Find your own powers.

Let's face it, even if you haven't been into martial arts for long, or ever, the first 20 seconds of Obi Wan Kenobi are going to make you want to get out of your chair and start becoming one with the Dao That Cannot Be Named.

I was certainly compelled, but at a much younger age. And then again, and again, and again. That's how it works, if it does.

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a mixed opinion on this comment. In my experience most of the older students are experienced students. And it would seem obviously younger students gravitate towards different styles? I've met tons of younger students in Goju Ryu, but not so much with kung fu. At a reunion I went to 4 years ago(nearly 5), I remember one of the pictures taken was of the youngest person there(which ended up being me) and and the oldest. An older lady(forgot her age). I was 23 at the time and I thought it was funny that I was the youngest person attending the event. There were some other people not much older than myself, but I was a bit surprised there wasn't anyone there younger than myself at the time.

I suppose the answer to your question depends on the style or arguably rather, the class itself. What does the class focus on? Since, ya know, different schools prioritize different things. One may be geared towards self defense and fitness while another may be health and wellbeing.