Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Can I get…?” = “May I have…?”

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When an educated man says, "no nothing," on a TV address, it is likely he is doing so on purpose to ingratiate himself to the general public he is trying to appeal to. Past presidents have dyed their hair when addressing a college audience and let the gray show when addressing senior citizens. Other makeup and mannerisms are similarly tailored for the particular target.

Many politicians are chameleons, striving to adopt the appearance and communication style of their intended audience to facilitate the audience identifying with them. Top salespeople use similar tactics.

People generally like communicating with others like them - "He's just like me!" This often results in greater trust and tendency of agreement. Human nature. These tactics are not good or bad in themselves. Just like guns, or fists, it depends on how they're utilized.

Big power and money (which politics and business definitely are) is a high stakes game. It would be naive to think the players would not use every (legal?) advantage at their disposal to win over supporters. Their exact choice of words is not accidental. Speechwriters are paid very well for their skill in strategic composition, aimed at influencing (I'd say manipulate, but that may be too "martial" for some) public opinion.

This post is not really about politics, but about applied martial arts. One difference, though - combat is more honest. At least you know what the opponent's true intentions are.;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I remember the sentence was, " ... no weapon, no nothing ...".
Ah then I agree that it was someone trying to sound folksy.

Appeal_to_Common_Folk.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When someone said, "You are bad man (or you are bad, man, not sure which one)", what does he mean?

I have learned 2 different ways to say "En, En". Have not heard anybody use it for a long time. Do anybody know why?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't think it approaches the definition of the appeal to common folk fallacy, though.
Depends on whether it is affected or not, doesn't it?

In politics, it's definitely a thing. For example, John Kennedy from Louisiana graduated magna cum laude from Vanderbilt University and graduated with honors from Oxford. You wouldn't know it by listening to him speak, which is very intentional.

Now, to be fair, some politicians aren't faking it... in which case it would not be a fallacy.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on whether it is affected or not, doesn't it?

In politics, it's definitely a thing. For example, John Kennedy from Louisiana graduated magna cum laude from Vanderbilt University and graduated with honors from Oxford. You wouldn't know it by listening to him speak, which is very intentional.

Now, to be fair, some politicians aren't faking it... in which case it would not be a fallacy.
I think for it to be that specific logical fallacy, it has to include that claim (even implicitly) that all common folk ______. Otherwise, it's just an attempt to be more relatable. It could be argued that there's an implicit claim that "I understand you because I'm just folks", but I'm not sure that meets the definition (as I understand it) for that logical fallacy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've heard it all over the country, though it is definitely more common in the South, where it's also lacking the ending "g".
I live in the part of King County where pick up trucks are lifted and have testicles hanging from the trailer hitch. If there's anywhere in the area where they would say "no nothin'" it would be here. I believe you if you say you've heard it in Washington State. We say some weird stuff around here, but I can't recall ever hearing anyone around here say that. I'll listen for it now.

I have heard people being called "know nothings", though. As in, "So-and-so at the store was a know-nothing jackwagon."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in the part of King County where pick up trucks are lifted and have testicles hanging from the trailer hitch. If there's anywhere in the area where they would say "no nothin'" it would be here. I believe you if you say you've heard it in Washington State. We say some weird stuff around here, but I can't recall ever hearing anyone around here say that. I'll listen for it now.

I have heard people being called "know nothings", though. As in, "So-and-so at the store was a know-nothing jackwagon."
It's entirely possible I've never heard it in Washington the Greater (the appropriate honorific for the state, IMO). And it probably is largely a cultural bleed from the South over the last 20-30 years. I only meant my comment to clarify that I've heard it in many areas of the US. Probably the Midwest is second to the South in usage, if I go entirely based on my very crappy memory.

Latest Discussions