Why Americans believe Obama is a Muslim

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, then let's talk about willful ignorance.

1) He "talks about Islam all the time." Without specific references, I don't know what you mean.

I mean just what I said. He talks about Islam a lot. Quotes from the Qu'ran. Refers to Islam's contributions to civilization. Etc. He does it often. Apparently you haven't noticed it. I have. One weird thing was when he was talking about how western countries shouldn't prevent Muslims from fulfilling Zakkat. Frankly, I don't know of any country that does that. It was a weird statement to make, but whatever.

Obviously, the topic comes up quite a bit, whether with regard to terrorism or the accusations that he's a secret Muslim, etc. I think it's a bit ridiculous to complain that he 'talks about Islam all the time' when people are accusing him of being a Muslim. He'd kind of have to, eh?

It wasn't a complaint, Bill. In fact, none of my post was a complaint. I thought that was obvious. It was an explanation of why other people could possibly draw the conclusion that he's a Muslim.

2) NASA. He didn't say it. Charles Bolden did, his head of NASA:

http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/2010/07/charlie-bolden-2.html

When I became the NASA Administrator - before I became the NASA Administrator - he charged me with three things: One was that he wanted me to re-inspire children to want to get into science and math, that he wanted me to expand our international relationships, and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with predominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."

Badly worded, aye. But he did not say - and President Obama most definitely did not say - that NASA's mission is to make Muslims 'feel good about themselves'.

He told Bolden to make Muslims "feel good aout their historic contributions to science, math and engineering." That entails making them feel good about themselves, I'd say. FWIW, you'll notice I didn't put quotation marks around my statement in this regard to indicate that it wasn't a quote. Thought that was obvious, too.

3) Referring to the Koran repeatedly. The only reference I can find is June 4, 2009, when he was giving a speech to Muslims in Cairo. Do you have other references?

He mentions studying the Qu'ran in Dreams from My Father, he's mentioned it in interviews, etc.

Oh, by the way, I did find several references to former President George Bush quoting from the Koran. September 17, 2001 ("Muslims should feel safe" speech) and December 16, 2001. Is George Bush a Muslim?

Why ask me? I said I believe Obama is a Muslim.

George also visited a mosque. The Pope and Tony Blair have also quoted the Koran. Probably Muslims too.

Totally. You can tell by the way they have repeatedly made reference to their Muslim fathers, growing up in Muslim countries, having Muslim fathers-in-law, getting in trouble when they were supposed to be studying the Qu'ran, having other Muslim relatives. It's the exact same thing as with Obama.

I never said he said he wa a Muslim on TV. I said he referred to "[his] Muslim faith" to Stephanopolis. I'm well aware of the context of the comment (him complaining about other people - again).

5) Muslim Call to Prayer is the "prettiest sound on earth."

Yep, he said it:

http://select.nytimes.com/2007/03/06/opinion/06kristof.html?_r=1

I don't know if it's a pretty sound or not. If I did, would it make me a Muslim?

Having a certain aesthetic sense wouldn't make you a Muslim, of course. But you're simply ignoring the point of my post, viz. providing several examples of what he said over the course of time that could give people reason to believe that he wasa Muslim. Most people, I imagine, aren't exactly hanging out in the blogosphere reading up on the latest conspiracy theory. They tend to draw conlusions based on things they see people doing or hear people saying.

I understand that you said you did not believe President Obama is a Muslim. However, you made it clear that people who do believe it are not operating on ignorance.

Actually, what I said was: "But I'm sure I'm just being somehow willfully ignorant for pointing out the above [emphasis added]." The issue isn't people making decisions based on ignorance. We all do that every day. The issue is whether they do it based on willfull ignorance. I was simply pointing out that Obama has said and done things that could conceivably make people think he's a Muslim.

Frankly, I have to doubt that. The facts are there, pretty clearly. I don't see where anything President Obama has said or done would convince anyone of even average intelligence that he was a Muslim unless they desperately wanted to believe it.

If only everyine thought exactly the same thing based on exactly the same evidence the world would be a much simpler place.

Pax,

Chris

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's odd-what did Rev. Wright say that was "racist?" Not crazy, mind you-but racist.

“Barack knows what it means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary would never know that. Hillary ain’t never been called a [n-word]. Hillary has never had a people defined as a non-person.”

Racist. And a bit crazy, IMNSHO.

Pax,

Chris

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Racist. And a bit crazy, IMNSHO.

Pax,

“Barack knows what it means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary would never know that. Hillary ain’t never been called a [n-word]. Hillary has never had a people defined as a non-person.”
Chris

Well, let's take a look at that, one sentence at a time.

Barack knows what it means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people.

Whether you like it or not, we live in a country and culture that is controlled by rich white people, so I see this as a statement of fact-that, as a black man, Barack's experience of that is something that is shared with the majority of that congregation, and not a racist statement at all.

Hillary would never know that.

On the one hand, he's right-Hillary is white, and wouldn't know what it's like to be black. On the other hand, he's completely dismissive of how she's experienced American society and culture as a woman-he merely lumps her in with "rich white people," which, after all, she is.

Not racist at all.

“Hillary ain’t never been called a [n-word]. Hillary has never had a people defined as a non-person.”

Black people have been and continue (by some) to be defined as "non-persons," and are still called "******." Odds are good that Hillary hasn't. Again we have a statement of facts, both historical and current.

Of course, this all quite inflammatory, and possibly indicative of some deep-seated problems. Racism may even be among those problems, but the statements themselves are not racist.​

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I never understand is how Muslim = not competent to hold office? I don't seem to recall a specific religious criteria to hold the office of president. Lets see, a citizen...at least 35 years old...no felony record...nope no religious requirement. Makes this kind of a moot arguement even if it was true.

That was what I was thinking. It doesn't have any objective relevance, just like sexual preferences. How would it make him less suited for office if he was a gay muslim?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a pretty sound or not. If I did, would it make me a Muslim?.

And for the record, I have every recording Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan ever made-you haven't had sex until you've done it to Qawali.......that's Pakistani Sufi music.....and I'm no Muslim, as I'm just as likely to have spareribs and beer afterwards...:lfao:

[yt]eP7sCkRw7p8[/yt]

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
5) Muslim Call to Prayer is the "prettiest sound on earth."

I'm not sure I've heard the Muslim Call to Prayer, but when I was deployed to Desert Shield/Storm I would tune my walkman in to a local radio station because the music sounded so beautiful.

It was through the walkman that I learned that the war had started.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, I am not a big fan of Obama.

But, I have to say that IMO the reason that he talks about Islam so much etc. as others have claimed is that he is trying to build a bridge to the majority of Muslims and gain support for the US and not because he was secretly a muslim all along and only claimed to be a Christian until elected.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just had a fun conversation with one of my sisters.

Sis: Obama had a Muslim father, so by Muslim law, he's a Muslim.
Me: So he's doomed to be a Muslim forever, and can never be a Christian?
Sis: Right. He's a Muslim. The Koran says so.
Me: So, Christ's promise to us that if we accept Him as Lord and Savior is overruled by the Koran? Christ was a liar?
Sis: Shut up.
I love my family.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the case of the study, it actually seems to show not just the Obama-Muslim issue, but why people in general choose to believe some of these outlandish things.
"Choose" does seem to be the operative word. The numbers indicate that with time, people who used to believe he was a Christian now either claim they don't know, or believe he is a Muslim. Odd to change your opinions like that based on political dissatisfaction. I like Obama so he is a Christian, I dislike Obama so he is a Muslim? Seems pretty odd.
Odd indeed, especially people forgetting that the people who put Obama in the position in the first place (his party and etc) aren't STUPID enough to do something like that in the first place. They've run the political system for a LONG time they're not about try to sneak something in knowing full well that if found out the whole faith in the political system will come down like a house of cards.

I dunno (or care) if he (Obama) is a muslim or not. I'm disappointed that the man turned out like EVERY other political bastard over the past 50 years... a used car-salesman in the most powerful position on the planet.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno (or care) if he (Obama) is a muslim or not. I'm disappointed that the man turned out like EVERY other political bastard over the past 50 years... a used car-salesman in the most powerful position on the planet.

Absolutely agreed.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But, you aren't surprised by it, are you?
Honestly, as I've said before, I doubt he has ANY deep religious beliefs, religion requires that you believe something is greater than yourself, and I don't think he does...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oooh, the Bush Derangement Syndrome rears it's head again...

Nothing to do with Bush himself. I have no reason to believe that Bush is not a man of faith. It has to do with your biases and preconceptions. I also have no reason to believe that Obama is not a man of faith, and in reality, neither do you.

Latest Discussions