Who's Who in Tracy Kenpo?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
In has been a while, so who are the master/high ranked instructors in Tracy Kenpo these days?

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you go onto Mr Tracy's web site you can locate a list of all promotions. There are several 8th dans, a few 9ths, and a couple of 10ths.

However, the 9ths and 10ths are doing their own thing somewhat, i.e. their own system, however kenpo based it may be.

Dr Ted Sumner is considered to be (by me and others) the chief instructor for Tracy's kenpo.

Jim

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you Sir. I was hoping to get individuals to post those idividuals they train with ans maybe a quick post on them and the school/location they teach at.

I see you are 7th dan. Do you teach (or own) at a school? If so, do you have a website or information about who you train with? I was hoping to get some more personalized info. I have read every page of the Tracy's website, but would love to get to know the people again. It has been a long time since I trained in Tracy's Kenpo.

Thanks again. It is great to have you posting on MT.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My teachers were low level guys that nobody would have heard of. ONly one of them was registered with Tracys. We pretty much went independent.

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you check out my web site you'll get some of my information. You can google Jim Hanna Kenpo and it should come up.

Jim

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In has been a while, so who are the master/high ranked instructors in Tracy Kenpo these days?

Steve Finn (7th) was my first and main instructor in the Tracy system. He owns a school in Lexington, KY. He was a 3rd when I started, and I don't imagine I will ever find anyone that can match the skill that he has.

I met Kyoshi Roger Greene (9th) at one of his Warrior Weekends several years ago. A true master. He has become my mentor and my friend on and off the mat. He operates a club on his ranch in Oklahoma.

I have talked with Ted Sumner (8th) for years on the internet and the phone. Met him in 1999 and again just last year. His grasp of the history of our system, his ability to teach what he knows, his willingness to share...another true master. I believe he is the senior Tracy's practitioner out there in terms of who started first. I am thinking 1964.

Joe Simonet (8th). Just met him at the Super Camp. He leaves it all on the mat. Very passionate about what he does. His blend of the styles that he knows is truly unique, and being around him for a minute makes you just want to sell all your possessions and train forever.

Ray Arquilla (10th). Met him last year. Incredible amount of knowledge regarding the martial arts in general. An uncanny ability to understand the nature of movement and keep it separate. The kind of guy that looks like he is doing kung-fu when he does kung-fu, and karate when he does karate.

Jim Hanna (7th). Met Jim in 2000 at a Tracy's seminar. I was impressed with his understanding of real kenpo and how to apply it. It has been a pleasure to watch his philosphical understanding grow over the last 6 years. Subtle changes, but Jim is a continual student, and as he comes to new understandings, he throws them out to us beginners and we get to share as he settles into masterhood.

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm proud to be a student of Bob Leonard, 9th dan. Bob teaches several classes through Fullerton College (California), as well as private lessons. I know I speak for many when I say we could not find a more caring, dedicated instructor anywhere.

-GARRY

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score

An interesting question really! I believe the hierarchy of Tracy's Kenpo is hard to answer, of course GM Al Tracy is undisputed "TOP". Now the subjective part, like indicated by Jim Hanna, Mr. Ted Sumner is the most knowledgable curricullum wise then you add the Healing Art - Chotaifuku. He is the most Senior. From this point forward it is a matter of "time in Tracy's Kenpo"!

Hell, I have 40 years with the Tracy System. Master Ray Arquilla is up there also. Bob Leonard, Bill Yazel, Joseph Trione are Seniors as well. Then the Seniors from other systems who have learned Tracy System, Mr. Roger Greene, Jim Stewart, Gary Avery and so on. Of course the 70's gave us Jim Hanna, Pat Munk, Steve Finn and so on.

How's that?

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm proud to be a student of Bob Leonard, 9th dan. Bob teaches several classes through Fullerton College (California), as well as private lessons. I know I speak for many when I say we could not find a more caring, dedicated instructor anywhere.

-GARRY

Great! Just the personal touch I was looking for.

Thanks!!!! :asian:

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Steve Finn (7th) was my first and main instructor in the Tracy system. He owns a school in Lexington, KY. He was a 3rd when I started, and I don't imagine I will ever find anyone that can match the skill that he has.

I met Kyoshi Roger Greene (9th) at one of his Warrior Weekends several years ago. A true master. He has become my mentor and my friend on and off the mat. He operates a club on his ranch in Oklahoma.

I have talked with Ted Sumner (8th) for years on the internet and the phone. Met him in 1999 and again just last year. His grasp of the history of our system, his ability to teach what he knows, his willingness to share...another true master. I believe he is the senior Tracy's practitioner out there in terms of who started first. I am thinking 1964.

Joe Simonet (8th). Just met him at the Super Camp. He leaves it all on the mat. Very passionate about what he does. His blend of the styles that he knows is truly unique, and being around him for a minute makes you just want to sell all your possessions and train forever.

Ray Arquilla (10th). Met him last year. Incredible amount of knowledge regarding the martial arts in general. An uncanny ability to understand the nature of movement and keep it separate. The kind of guy that looks like he is doing kung-fu when he does kung-fu, and karate when he does karate.

Jim Hanna (7th). Met Jim in 2000 at a Tracy's seminar. I was impressed with his understanding of real kenpo and how to apply it. It has been a pleasure to watch his philosphical understanding grow over the last 6 years. Subtle changes, but Jim is a continual student, and as he comes to new understandings, he throws them out to us beginners and we get to share as he settles into masterhood.

Once again, a nice post with your personal experiences. :asian:

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
An interesting question really! I believe the hierarchy of Tracy's Kenpo is hard to answer, of course GM Al Tracy is undisputed "TOP". Now the subjective part, like indicated by Jim Hanna, Mr. Ted Sumner is the most knowledgable curricullum wise then you add the Healing Art - Chotaifuku. He is the most Senior. From this point forward it is a matter of "time in Tracy's Kenpo"!

Hell, I have 40 years with the Tracy System. Master Ray Arquilla is up there also. Bob Leonard, Bill Yazel, Joseph Trione are Seniors as well. Then the Seniors from other systems who have learned Tracy System, Mr. Roger Greene, Jim Stewart, Gary Avery and so on. Of course the 70's gave us Jim Hanna, Pat Munk, Steve Finn and so on.

How's that?

I really wanted to hear about things in each person's unique way. No disputes as to who is the best, just who are some of the "seniors" (experience, not age :)) So what you have posted was perfect!

Thanks for your addition to this thread. :asian:

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone know what happened to Greg Gram? He used to have a school in Plainville, CT. I think he may be a 5th Dan or higher at this point. He may have created his own "off-shoot" style.

Latest Discussions