Who raises the kids when you die?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's a harsh title. Truth stings.

The 13-year-old son of Christopher and Dana Reeve will be living with close friends of the Reeves, even after having aunts and uncles offer to bring him into their families.

If you have children you MUST find a surviving guardian for them, else they go into "the system" - even pending guardianship by family.

Here is an article on Choosing a Guardian for your kids and what you need to do legally.

NOTE: SEE A LAWYER ABOUT THE APPROPRIATE PAPERWORK FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My childern will go to the wife Grandparents they are secure and they did a good job with my wife and beside my parent are no longer around, so they are the oblivous choice.
Terry

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My wife and I don't have any kids yet, but when we do, my sister would be the first choice to raise our children. The recipricol is also true, Alicia and I will raise my nephew should anything happen to them.

However, we do not have this is writing though most members of the family are aware of it.

Lamont

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We went through this decision process when making out wills. Not easy! Taking into consideration who can financially support our children, who can best emotionally support them, and where would our kids be happiest overall! Also wouldn't want the 2 kids to be split up.
Most don't like to face their own mortality but better to plan now than let decisions fall into someone elses hands.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is probably one of the most difficult decisions parents have to make and one of the most painful. No one likes to think about leaving their kids and having someone else raise them. However, it is negligent not to have this in writing and to have talked to the intended caregivers about why you think they are the best people to raise your kids.

We have seen this scenario twice where the kids were left orphaned. By accident in one case and two sudden illnesses in another. It was a mess. One family wound up being split up and the other was moved away from close family, church, schools and their friends.

My husband and I took this very seriously when we were making our wills and talked to the guardians and how they felt about it before we put anything in writing.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of us on this board have to take into consideration the fact that we have challenged children. The "normal" kids everyone wants, but no one offers for the "other one."

Tough.

Latest Discussions