"Christian Martial Arts"

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Achorus of "Yes, sir" echoes through the First Baptist Church in Osceola, Wis., every Thursday evening at exactly 6:15. That is when the Rev. Dr. Kent Haralson calls the Master's Warriors to order. Congregating before their sensei, the members start the weekly Seigi Bushido Ryu training with an opening prayer. Throughout the two-hour session, in addition to sparring, punching and falling, the class will also have Bible study and closing prayers. This is karate with a Christian kick.

Ok, I've seen Christian flavored martial arts before, claiming it's original intent was Christian God-centered seems a little bit of a stretch, how do they get that when they are doing Karate?

Referring to Old Testament passages and listing Adam, Abraham and Jacob among the first martial artists, Conway argues that martial arts or "military arts" originated in Mesopotamia during biblical times and can be traced throughout history along the trade routes right into Okinawa, Japan. For Christian martial artists, this rationale bolsters their belief that their craft complements their Christian roots. After all, martial arts, as chronicled by Conway and his colleagues, have Christian roots themselves.

This part is new to me, I don't think I have ever seen it claimed that Karate was founded by Adam...?

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060311/NEWS/603110317/1021

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Ok, I've seen Christian flavored martial arts before, claiming it's original intent was Christian God-centered seems a little bit of a stretch, how do they get that when they are doing Karate?

This part is new to me, I don't think I have ever seen it claimed that Karate was founded by Adam...?

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060311/NEWS/603110317/1021

What they apparently fail to realize is that EVERY culture throughout human history has had its fighting techniques, because people have fought with each other, and against wild animals, for as long as humans have walked the earth. Fighting arts in general cannot be traced to any specific culture or region or era. They were and are everywhere.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its that a massive contridiction... I mean I'm not a bible beater, but doesn't it say in the bible to not do harm on to others? Especially mixing combative energies with religion again... I'm gonna call a big "what an idiotic idea" card. Thats kinda like a shinto sect adopting western boxing as a means of conveying their love for their gods. Seriously...I feel for you karate guys...I would be pretty destroyed if my art was used for these kinds of things...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Prior to reading the article my thought was "big deal so a minister is teaching Martial arts and teaching religion"

After reading the article I can say only 2 things.

1) Brings a whole new meaning to turn the other cheek

2) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGH!!!! Martial Arts were not based on RELIGION

You can count on another comment from me on this once I calm down, sorry about the yelling.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, it's actually pretty creepy. Notice the photo that accompanies the article. two people practicing with Jo staffs, one attacks and the other defends with a block. They point out that the two staffs now make a cross.

i feel violated. I need to take a shower.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
what i find odd is there are two 'christian' martial arts school here in the portland, oregon area. i've found their public behavior to be among the worst of the studios 'round here.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no problem with people and their religion, until they attempt to force their religion onto other people and judge others based on the fact that these others are not members of the same religion. I also object to using religion to twist the meaning, or create a meaning that was never intended, in secular things like the martial arts. Trying to find religious symbolism in the form of a cross from two clashing jo staffs is just plain stupid.

One of the comments in the article that I found really offensive was where one of the people stated that in the Christianity that he was taught, anything not Christian is automatically evil.

A religious fanatic is a terrible thing, no matter what religion they are fanatical about.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I own a book {that I bought because of some biographical sketches} that says Moses learned his staff fighting from Japan; and that Jesus Christ learned his healing arts from Japan. It's a book about a particular Japanese Karate style.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Would this book have a title?
Yes, it would but I am not at home. I will PM you the title, author, etc when I get home if you like.

I'm afraid if I rely on my poor memory, I will get it wrong and offend someone...although I'm positive getting it right will also offend someone.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My take....you can be a christian and a martial artist...but not a christian martial artist...Jesus said to turn the other cheek.....if someone takes your robe give him you caoat as well (is that self defence).....jesus said love your ememies.

MA says do not attack...but here let me show you how to hurt the bastartd if he tries to attack you!

its as different in philosophy as apples and oranges!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ray said:
I own a book {that I bought because of some biographical sketches} that says Moses learned his staff fighting from Japan; and that Jesus Christ learned his healing arts from Japan. It's a book about a particular Japanese Karate style.

Can't be true, Japanese are not Christian anad thereby evil.....just read the article.......I am attempting not to scream again.....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I originally wrote a rather lengthy tirade with quotes from the article and individual rebuttals, but after I calmed down I realized it was entirely pointless. No one that is as closed minded as those that this article speaks of or quotes would ever care or agree and ultimately would label me as evil, and it wouldn’t be the first time (as surprising as this may sound to some). The way I see it nothing I am going to say will change anyone’s mind.

Let me say if you are a Christian, Catholic, Buddhist, Taoist, Shinto, Hindu, or Muslim martial artists, etc. I have no problem with that I think it is great that you have that much conviction. I can respect a truly religious person or non-religious person (whatever the case may be) but as I think article points out, Zealot should cause some concern.
This appears to me to be people that are close minded and as is stated in the article, at least one feels that if it is not Christian it is evil. They fear what they do not understand and are not willing to put the time in to truly understand it so they change it to something they do not fear and understand.

And bowing in a martial arts class is a sign of respect, not religion and if you think it is religious you need to look into it a little more. If you have a problem and you are not religious than it is arrogance and you don’t belong in the dojo, school, kwoon or what ever you call it. This is of course assuming there is not a physical condition that does not allow you to bow in a certain way, which would be an entirely different story.

I believe they are coming from the perspective of that they are actually helping martial artists by saving us poor heathens that simply don’t get it. Those who know what’s best for us must rise and save us from ourselves, if you will.

Be afraid; be very afraid they will destroy martial arts if you let them.

And, If the staffs in the shape of a cross is ok...is a right cross more holy than a front snap kick? OK that’s a silly question, but I think it gets my point across.

Hey the crusaders held up their sword as a cross and when they took Jerusalem and killed every one, and I do mean everyone in the city.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
A religious fanatic is a terrible thing, no matter what religion they are fanatical about.
Some of the worlds worst autrocities have been committed in the name of religion. :(

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
Yes, it would but I am not at home. I will PM you the title, author, etc when I get home if you like.

I'm afraid if I rely on my poor memory, I will get it wrong and offend someone...although I'm positive getting it right will also offend someone.

General info is necessary only. Was just curious if this was like "Billy Bibles take on jesus's TKD techniques". But it would be interesting to see what that is all about...so yea that title would be cool sometime. No worries about figuring it out quick or anything.

Latest Discussions