Who owns and rides motorcycles?

OP
AC_Pilot

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That R1 is definitely not a beginner's bike.. lots of newbies go straight for one of these dangerously powerful rockets and end up in the hospital or the morgue. I can certainly handle one but I would take an entire season just to learn it before trying any spooky full-on stuff.. and even then I would rarely do so. Be careful out there.

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You just need some throttle control. I’ve had a number of them high side in front of me on the Track. They weren’t going any faster than me on my CBR900RR, but they just seemed too aggressive on the throttle coming out of the corners. With my Blade you could be fairly hamfisted with the throttle, it only made about 130hp, while the R1’s make from around 160 through to 180hp depending on model.

Interestingly the 600’s are faster than the larger bikes for most people when riding them on a Track. I just prefer the larger bikes because they have a better mid range, this makes them not so demanding on the road.

There are some really interesting bikes out now. I would like to have a go on the new KTM 900 V Twin Supermoto styled bike, it looks like a lot of fun.

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started riding dirtbikes as a kid. I'd steal rides on whatever my older brothers had at the time. In high school my friend got a Honda CBR600 F1 Hurricane and I would take that out on occasion. My first bike was a 99' Honda CBR600 F4. I never really felt comfortable on it and a year later I ended up getting a 99' CBR900 RR. Now that was a great bike! I had that until I got my 02' Honda RC51...the absolute best bike I've ever ridden! Unfortunately I had to sell it when I bought my house last October. I'll try and post pics tomorrow.

If I were to get a new bike I'd go for the new Honda CBR600RR. Can you tell I'm a Honda guy?

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been riding motorcycles more years than I care to remember.
In the garage right now are a CBR1000 and two CR250Rs.
Since I got into dirt riding the street bike sits a lot.

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here she is in all her v-twin glory.

RC51-3.jpg

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very nice Tom. How do you like the Dunlops? I used to run Michelin Pilots on my old Blade, I liked them a lot.

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
Colin_Linz said:
Very nice Tom. How do you like the Dunlops? I used to run Michelin Pilots on my old Blade, I liked them a lot.
Thanks. The Dunlop 208's were very good. My favorite tire though is the Metzler Sportec M1. As good as the Dunlops were the Sportecs blew them away in every possible catagory. Well except one...tire life. They performed great at the track as well as the street. I've heard many guys say they could never get their knee down until they put on a set of Sportecs.

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
That Ducati makes me drool...
It gets a lot of good comments from people. Whenever I stop somewhere I usually get people coming up wanting to look at it. I'm in the middle of adding some improvements to it. I am fitting new 40mm Delortos in place of the 32mm ones, a Tomiselli quick action throttle, and a competition clutch. It will still be comparatively underpowered, but I like ridding it anyway.

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
I believe martial arts, motorcycling, surfing, skiing and a bunch of other sports all hold similar appeal. They're sports that require fast decision-making, coordination, and awareness of your environment and skills--getting into "the zone".

...and unfortunately sometimes a high pain threshold! Trust me on that one...

I ride a 2001 Kawasaki ZX-12R.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just picked up another bike yesterday. '03 Suzi GSXR-600. Let's sww how long it takes me to wreck it J/K.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Just picked up another bike yesterday. '03 Suzi GSXR-600. Let's sww how long it takes me to wreck it J/K.

We can talk after you have it for two weeks ;)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Dont joke man...

I wrecked my New '05 in under 3 months...

:(

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Dont joke man...

I wrecked my New '05 in under 3 months...

:(

I read in one of the trade mags, that the first two weeks is the most likely to have an accident on sport bikes. Wish I would have kept it or remembered which one so I could look it up again. :(

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Western Australia has a stupid rule of size restriction for 12months of 250cc for a road licence then an entirely new licence after that if you want an open class. This means two learners permits, two lots of drving instructions (mandatory regardless of ability), then two practical tests, then two licencing fees. Not much change from $600 and twelve months of time, oh and I nearly forgot two different bikes.
For this reason I bought an XR600R and use it exclusively on dirt.
For me the best bit is sliding out that backend into a corner, if that wheel is spinning my face is grinning. :uhyeah:

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I've been riding for around 30 yrs, I've had numerous bikes, but my 2 favorite was a 1947 knuckle head (Harley) and a 1967 Triumph tiger 500. I currently own a 1982 Honda CB 900 Custom a 1977 Harley Ironheah and a 2001 Suzuski Velusia 800. I have been hit 3 times so far and have been lucky enough to walk away from all of them. That's the great thing about Martial arts and bikes, you get knocked down on both of them and still you get back up and go back for more. Seriuosly though if it werent for TKD I'd proabably be walking with kanes and parking in hanicapped slots. I've been doing TKD for close to 20 years I'm a 3rd degree and I'm in no hurry for my 4th heck it took me over 5 yrs to recieve my 1st dan. Anyway Happy motoring everyone. Keep the rubber on the ground and your kicks to the head.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have been riding dirt bikes since I was 9. Got my MC liscense at 17, and have been rding to this day. In fact, I sold my car to get my first bike, and have only owned bikes ( with the exception of a truck from 99-03) ever since.

Streetbikes I have owned:

250 ninja
500 Shadow
1100 magna

Still own:

1978 Yamaha SR500 (my fathers bike - first bike I ever rode on)
1996 XL1200S Harley Davidson

PS do I need to put pics on a website in order to post them here?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I don't ride on the street I have been riding off-road and motocross starting at age 5. I just got rid of my Baja XR and I am looking to get something else, but have not decided what. I have had several MX bikes as well as ATV's.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's my babies.

Attachments

• $mini-both1.JPG
    $mini-both1.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 92
  • $mini-both2.JPG
    $mini-both2.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 92