Who is the best source for learning Hapkido?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Curious. He has a Yong-In graduate living with him that can't instruct him in Hapkido??

Not every yong in student learns hapkido, or in their case, hankido. I believe that you have one major and two minor martial arts, choosing from taekwondo, judo, kumdo, hankido and I think others. Most I believe major in judo, because yong in used to be the old Korea Judo College. Next comes taekwondo.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did a quick search of the yong in university webpage. http://int.yongin.ac.kr/eng/academics/ma01_judo.htm

I see judo and taekwondo prominently listed, with their own departments. Also there is mention of taekkyon. But surprisingly no hapkido, hankido, hankumdo. I know the headquarters of the International Hankido Federation is located in yongin-shi (yong in city), but it doesn't look like hankido or hapkido is emphasized much at Yong In University.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Did a quick search of the yong in university webpage. http://int.yongin.ac.kr/eng/academics/ma01_judo.htm

I see judo and taekwondo prominently listed, with their own departments. Also there is mention of taekkyon. But surprisingly no hapkido, hankido, hankumdo. I know the headquarters of the International Hankido Federation is located in yongin-shi (yong in city), but it doesn't look like hankido or hapkido is emphasized much at Yong In University.

He was one of five in his group of over 70 to win a full scholarship based on his competition record, with 5 knockouts at high level competitions. He did not study any other martial art. He was an A Team member and really did nothing but train to fight, he spent 4 years at Yong-in on the A Team. Training was 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon and 2-3 hours in the evening. He came to the USA and stayed my house the day after graduation. He kept that same training schedule here with my sons.

As for Taekkyon, my Taekkyon training partner at the Taekkyon Instructors Training Course in Pusan was in his second year at Yong-in's Taekkyon program. He is one of Yong-in's champion fighters. Extremely powerful, and very fast.

When I was at Yong-in a year earlier, I watch the Yongmoodo training. I think Yongmoodo was created at Yong-in Dae.

IRISH KMA

White Belt
Reaction score
Yong Mu Do is an art created at Yong In. It is a combination of mainly Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido and Yudo. There are alot of Yong In grads in Chicago and they all are at least a 4th Dans in it. It is spearheaded here in the states by Dr Min at UC Berkley, although he is retired from teaching. One of my students while getting his PhD at Berkley studied it and is a third dan in it. It is a VERY interesting art (in my humble opinion). Master Cole if you are truely interested in learning Hapkido I will send you a PM of an instructor who is VERY talented and a tremendous teacher.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yong Mu Do is an art created at Yong In. It is a combination of mainly Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido and Yudo. There are alot of Yong In grads in Chicago and they all are at least a 4th Dans in it. It is spearheaded here in the states by Dr Min at UC Berkley, although he is retired from teaching. One of my students while getting his PhD at Berkley studied it and is a third dan in it. It is a VERY interesting art (in my humble opinion). Master Cole if you are truely interested in learning Hapkido I will send you a PM of an instructor who is VERY talented and a tremendous teacher.

I did not know that it was at UC Berkley, but I am not surprised. I know Dr. Min, he spearheaded a lot of Korean martial arts development in the USA. I remember back 10 or more years ago when UC Berkley got a $1,000,000 grant from either the WTF, or the Korean Government for their martial arts program.

Please send me the information. I must say I am surprised to get such information. My experience is that asking questions on MT about Hapkido causes a lot of anal stress, people freak out, vanish or lash out for asking questions about Hapkido. Must be some kind of secret martial art :)

IRISH KMA

White Belt
Reaction score
In the past they had a Yong Mu Do championship in the Chicago area. What I gathered was that the younger masters had issues with the very long time Dr Min students. I have never met Dr Min but if you look in EVERY United States Grandmasters Society picture he is nearly dead center in the first row. In regards to your statement above about Hapkido discussions on MT it reminds me of something I said when we met at Master Nathans dojang awhile back. It is my experience that some Korean martial artists act like junior high girls in that if you are not part of their group/click etc they will act in ways that would get banned from this site. That is what I truely admire about the Hapkido instructor i'm referring to is that he does not care what your background is, korean hapkido federation, international hapkido federation, sin moo etc. All he cares about is that you get on the mat and train and are respectful to your partners.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the past they had a Yong Mu Do championship in the Chicago area. What I gathered was that the younger masters had issues with the very long time Dr Min students. I have never met Dr Min but if you look in EVERY United States Grandmasters Society picture he is nearly dead center in the first row. In regards to your statement above about Hapkido discussions on MT it reminds me of something I said when we met at Master Nathans dojang awhile back. It is my experience that some Korean martial artists act like junior high girls in that if you are not part of their group/click etc they will act in ways that would get banned from this site. That is what I truely admire about the Hapkido instructor i'm referring to is that he does not care what your background is, korean hapkido federation, international hapkido federation, sin moo etc. All he cares about is that you get on the mat and train and are respectful to your partners.

When did we meet? By the way, send me the info you were going to send. Thanks

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In regards to your statement above about Hapkido discussions on MT it reminds me of something I said when we met at Master Nathans dojang awhile back. It is my experience that some Korean martial artists act like junior high girls in that if you are not part of their group/click etc they will act in ways that would get banned from this site.

I don't recall anyone ever saying this at Master Doggett's, or ever having such a conversation about this site. Please, refresh my memory.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not every yong in student learns hapkido, or in their case, hankido. I believe that you have one major and two minor martial arts, choosing from taekwondo, judo, kumdo, hankido and I think others. Most I believe major in judo, because yong in used to be the old Korea Judo College. Next comes taekwondo.

I asked the question simply because every Yong-in graduate that I know also happens to be a master in Hapkido. I realize they are not all Hapkido masters, but there are many. I also realize the curriculum there has changed quite a bit from the KJC days, but I thought that Yong-in graduates being what they are, he might be a great source of learning for you that maybe you didn't realize. If that's not the case, that's not the case.

To answer the other question, no, I don't have enough experience in Hapkido to offer training. Good luck in your search though.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I asked the question simply because every Yong-in graduate that I know also happens to be a master in Hapkido. I realize they are not all Hapkido masters, but there are many. I also realize the curriculum there has changed quite a bit from the KJC days, but I thought that Yong-in graduates being what they are, he might be a great source of learning for you that maybe you didn't realize. If that's not the case, that's not the case.

To answer the other question, no, I don't have enough experience in Hapkido to offer training. Good luck in your search though.

The majority of people who enter the Taekwondo Degree Program at Yong-in Dae study some of the other martial arts in-depth. The majority of those people (99%) are not fighters, and never fight in tournaments in Korea. The exception is Taekwondo athletes that are recruited for the Yong-in Dae Taekwondo Team. The young man we are speaking about was one of those recruited for the Yong-in Dae Team.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I asked the question simply because every Yong-in graduate that I know also happens to be a master in Hapkido. I realize they are not all Hapkido masters, but there are many.

What has happened in the past is that yong graduates had one major art and I believe two other arts. So they would get 4th Dan in their major and 2nd Dan in two other arts when they graduated. Mostly it was judo or taekwondo as the major, mainly judo. I understand that the majority of judo teachers in korea now are alumni of yong in so yong in is dominating judo in korea. On the minor martial arts, if it was a judo major, then usually it was taekwondo and either kendo or hapkido for the minor martial arts.

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Who would be the best sources for learning Hapkido in the USA?

How about in Korea?

There is a lot of good HKD and bad HKD in the US, Korea is no different. IMO Opinion some Sinmoo, Junk Ki Kwan, Jin Jung Kwan, KHF schools offer the best chances to learn good HKD. Watch out for HKD mixed with TKD, its a warning sign.

Latest Discussions