Whipped for wearing a 'deceptive' bra

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A better question would be why some third world sh**hole is the responsibility of the Americans or anyone else.

It isn't, per se. However, AQ is moving in quickly, as it is a power vacuum. And it sits in a strategic location on the Horn of Africa. A perfect base for AQ, and they're not stupid, they recognize it.

Our interest in Somalia is strategic. Ignoring that will cost us.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most people in the Islamic world are moderate people, all they want is a job, a healthy family and a little bit of fun on weekends. These are the people who will rise up on their own and say enough, and put a stop to the fundamental nonsense. All the west can do is report the news in a mostly unbiased manner, (satellite dishes are in many households), be a role model in its actions and funnel $$ covertly to the opposition.

The moderate Muslims of Somalia are being overrun by outsider AQ people, who are imposing Sharia Law and establishing their terrorist training camps there. We have a strategic interest in Somalia.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand calls for our countries 'to do something about it' but as others have said it can't happen. Personally I'd love to put the guys against a wall and shoot them from the feet up ensuring a slow death but other than making me feel beter it won't do any good.
Our countries can make trade and diplomatic efforts to make them temper their behaviour but rarely does it work, the change must come from inside their countries. One thing I've found to support change is to foster children through charities, things change slowly in places like this but bringing clean water, better healthcare and education is one way to help change things. It may not be much in the grand scheme of things but its better than doing nowt.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
And don't forget to point and laugh. Mockery and ridicule are often useful for changing behavior.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A strategic interest in Somalia? What is it? If it’s just a place for possible terrorist bases, they’re number 18 on the list….

I think Muslim extremists are the new communists. They’re the bogeyman that everyone has to be afraid of. Remember though, while they’re religious fundimentalists, they’re not stupid.

The Islamist fundamentalists don’t give two ***** about the West. They want us to attack them, that justifies their rhetoric back home and they gain more local support. They tried for years to get elected in those places that have democracy, but their support maybe hits 10-20%. They want to gain power in their own countries, that’s their goal, not the demise of the west. They are using us to shore up political support back home. They want to take over Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and other places.

The best thing to do is to promote trade, democracy and education in these places. If you are educated and have a job, odds are good you’re not going to go out one day and kill people.

That being said, if there are terrorist bases that are a real threat to us, or our allies, a couple of well placed cruise missiles can be justified.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Greg Mortenson has been building schools in Afghanistan since 1996.

Most people want education, they want a better life ... and they're being hijacked by a few despots, mullahs or imams. They know that an ignorant society is a controlled society.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the moment I'm sponsoring a little Moslem girl in Bangladesh, it's one way to show support for women and girls to show that we appreciate the importance of females. the moeny doesn't go directly to her family but to the community so they have to consider she is contrubting to the community. it helps her to get schooling as the community won't get help unless all can share. It's a small thing as I said before but from small things who knows what can happen, at least one small girl knows there's someone who appreciates her even if my family is far away and we'll never meet.