Which sword art do you study?

Which sword arts do you study?

• Western (European Long/Short sword)

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • European Fencing (Eppe, Foil, Saber, Rapier)

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Chinese sword arts (Taiji Sword, BroadSword, Shaolin Sword, etc)

Votes: 44 19.7%
  • Japanese sword arts (Kenjutsu, Kendo, Iaido, Iaijutsu, Battojutsu)

Votes: 134 60.1%
  • Korean sword arts

Votes: 32 14.3%
  • Arabian Sword Arts

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other (Please post and specify)

Votes: 22 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I am curious on what arts are most common here.

I've studied Battojutsu, Iaido and some fencing.

Always Kuniba Ryu Iaido, frequently Mugai Ryu Iaido and every once in a while MJER Iaijutsu

Gene Gabel

L

liangzhicheng

I'm studying Wu Style Tai Chi sword, and have also "learned" the Wu Style broadsword.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you summarize some of the differences between how the regular and broad swords are employed (here or in another thread)?

L

liangzhicheng

Sure thing (perhaps better in the Tai Chi thread?). From what I understand, the broadsword is the first weapon learned in Tai Chi. It provides a foundation for the sword. The broadsword is characterized by more sweeping motions, and is not as intricate in motion as the sword. The broadsword is single edged, and in some movements, the non-sword arm grasps the back of the broadsword, and theoretically can hold onto the broadsword when letting go of the handle. (note that the broadsword I am referring to is not the tai chi broadsword like the one at martialartsmart, but something similar to kung fu broadswords. I have not seen any internal style broadswords for sale on-line) The Wu style broadsword includes a few small "leaps", and has more kicks than the sword. Training with the broadsword gets the student comfortable with using a weapon, and introduces blade control and using the weapon as an extension of the body. The sword form is quite different than the broadsword. The sword is used in a more "refined" manner, that is, the sword often moves using a smaller circle than the broadsword and require more control. I think there's more of a focus on extending the qi into the weapon, and balancing it out with the sword charm hand, but this is from past research, not something my Sifu has told us. There are more single legged postures in the sword form, which really show whether or not you have balance. I'm still studying the sword, but from what I know now, the sword has more detail in the movements. Furthermore, while both forms require looseness, any lack of looseness really shows in the sword. I think there's a saying that "it takes 100 days to master the broadsword, but it takes 1000(0?) days to master the sword". I hope this helps.

ScottUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Charles Mahan
In my experience, there is simply no distinction drawn between iaijutsu and iaido. You cannot, or rather should not, seperate the character building aspects of Iai from the combat effective aspects of the waza.

I agree with Charles.

Everyone wants to practice iaijutsu because it's 'oh so much cooler than iaido'.

If you really need to draw a difference, you could call seitei 'iaido' and koryu 'iaijutsu' only due to their relative ages, though in theory they should both be practiced as Charles has already said.

You may notice that people who are really into their iai practice often use neither term, but instead refer to it as 'iai'.

Best wishes,

Scott

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ScottUK
If you really need to draw a difference, you could call seitei 'iaido' and koryu 'iaijutsu' only due to their relative ages,

You could call the main line of MJER Iaijutsu if you want, but you'd be technically wrong. The organization uses Iaido and Iai-heiho.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i just began learning wuji tai chi sword, and unlike liangzhicheng's reference to wu style, we learn the jing tai jian as the first weapon.

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I study a sword system called White Lotus, which is derived from a Korean system (or Northern Chinese through Korea).

K

Kempo Guy

I study Iai as well (Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo), which is actually a sogo bujutsu and includes iaijutsu, kumi iai, kenpo (kenjutsu), kogusoku, naginata, jo, wakizashi and kusarigama.

KG

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello to all... Grew up doing Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu ( which included kenjutsu as part of its syllabus). The school has since closed. I now study a system called Shinko Ryu Kempo which has sword instruction as well (fast draw and combative sword techniques).

I have also been studying Filipino Arnis for a few years now. The sword work in that is dynamic. Quite different from the flavor as done by the Japanese.

Thanx for the minute...
WalT

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to live in Providence. (Great town for dining out!) Where is there FMA in RI now? I did some Uechi-ryu while I was there.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey there...
Funny thing that you mention the Uechi Ryu... The instructor that I train with is a Godan in Uechi under first under Erle and then under Mattson.

I currently train in the Derderian Academy of Martial arts under Raffi Derderian. The school is on the Cranston, Johnston, Providence line. Raffi is a certified instructor of Filipino Combatives under Walter Hochheim (varied lineage; trained in the Filipine Islands) and under Kevin Seaman ( Inosanto lineage ). Good place and the guy is a very good instructor. I refuse to train under yo-yo's and I choose my schools carefully. am very happy with the instruction i recieve.

If you want to check it out...

www.derderian-academy.com

Thanx for the minute...
WalT

M

Master Todd Miller

I study and teach a Korean Sword art called
Chung Suk Guhapdo (Blue stone Qiuck display Sword). This style is very much like Iaido, We practice Hyungs/Kata, Sparring like Kumdo, Cutting and Hapkido with the sword dealing with another swordsman. The training is very hard and ranking takes many years of practice.

Take care
Master
Todd Miller
Korea Kojun Mudo Federation

M

Master Todd Miller

I have a small collection of Swords made by Master Kim (a Korean sword smith). His family has been doing this for 10 generations. I will try to get some digital pics soon.

Todd Miller

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just started learning 32 tai chi narrow sword form. I will also be learning a straight sword form found in the Hung Ga system. Lot's of nifty stuff :D

don

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Master Todd Miller
I have a small collection of Swords made by Master Kim (a Korean sword smith). His family has been doing this for 10 generations. I will try to get some digital pics soon.

That would be great!

I know a little about iaido but all I know about the Korean sword I've learned from this site.

Latest Discussions