Which sword art do you study?

Which sword arts do you study?

• Western (European Long/Short sword)

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • European Fencing (Eppe, Foil, Saber, Rapier)

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Chinese sword arts (Taiji Sword, BroadSword, Shaolin Sword, etc)

Votes: 44 19.7%
  • Japanese sword arts (Kenjutsu, Kendo, Iaido, Iaijutsu, Battojutsu)

Votes: 134 60.1%
  • Korean sword arts

Votes: 32 14.3%
  • Arabian Sword Arts

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other (Please post and specify)

Votes: 22 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

okashiibudo

White Belt
Reaction score
I study MSR, and also kendo.

The MSR (Muso Shinden Ryu) is something that I wanted to set aside for a time, while I focused on my aikido. Once I felt I had a hand on that, I got back into iaido. So my Omori Ryu kata are suffering. If you want a truly humbling experience, that's what I recommend.

As for kendo, I do that in a more informal environment. But it's still a fun workout.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now iaido, but before the katana it was the foil through high school. Really enjoyed the western/european fencing style for its incredible point accuracey coupled with its need for speed and agility along such a linear attack line.

Nolo_Ferratus

White Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to think of sword technique as a martial skill as opposed to an art. The word art implies that a great deal of creative self expression takes place.

Some people make up their own combinations of movements but the focus is not so much on creativity as in proper execution of a learned technique.

I have taken what was called "martial arts" classes before and I'm sorry but there was no focus whatsoever on encouraging people to voice opinions or do their own thing. Instead people were expected to all act and do the same thing as if they were all the same person.

Also I'm not sure that there is much point in making a big distinction between sword skills and for example skills in fighting with clubs or sticks since much of the technique would be nearly the same.

hpulley

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't really think the 'arts' in martial arts means self expression like it does in interpretive dance, painting, scultping etc. though I could be wrong. I think these are partly problems with the translations of jutsu and do though most people I think understand that "the art of war" is not about self expression.

I agree completely with your statement about sticks and swords though. My dojo teaches iaido and kendo as part of their weapons class which starts with some kali escrima sticks, okinawan kobudo before moving into the jo where jodo maps really nicely into bokken/shinai and iaito for iaido, kendo, kenjutsu and so on. We also other weapons. Each weapon has its own little specialties but I believe the core is very similar and is also similar to empty handed arts with all the generic learning of how to use your body and momentum, angles, stances, power transfer and so on.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just found this thread while searching for Omori Ryu.

I studied Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido Under the North American San Shin Kai which was organized by Mitsuzuka,Takeshi Sensei and is presently headed by Roger Wehrhahn Shihan.

For Shoden level of MSR I was taught four styles (Omori Ryu, Seitei Gata, Shindo Munen Ryu and Keishi Ryu) of Iai and the reason for that was I did not know what style I would have to show for my Shodan test. Thank goodness he tested me on Omori Ryu (my favorite of the four, BTW)

After studying MSR for 3 yrs which involved classes, seminars and camps (two camps I had the honor of studying with Mitsuzuka Sensei himself and got to take a picture with him) my instructor let me test for the Shoden Level and I received my Shodan in MSR from Wehrhahn Shihan. Since then I could not formally keep up my studies in MSR, but, continue to practice what I have learned and enjoy it immensely.

Michael

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will be starting Bagua Jian (double edge straight sword) soon, and eventually moving onto the Bagua Dao (chinese broadsword), Da Dao (large broadsword), and the Deerhorn Knives.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I Studied Bagua Long Dao, Bagua Jin Dao, Shaolin Dao (not shaolin do), Iaido, and some Tong Long Dao forms. Oh, and of course the Wing Chun Baat Jaam Dao might as well count those. And the Gim or Jian

jonpalombi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I first began to formally study swordsmanship under the guidance of my tae kwon do teacher, Master Il Hoi Kim. While I had been fascinated by the classic stories (in literature and movies) of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, Ivanhoe, The Three Musketeers, Zorro, as well as The Lord of the Rings, Conan the Barbarian and John Carter on Mars... I had no access to instruction and had yet to attend classes in any school.

When I was 17 years old, a TV station out of Philadelphia ran an all-night Samurai Movie Fest. The films were: Yojimbo, Sanjuro and Seven Samurai. I was still transfixed at 6:30 AM, the next morning, when my parents woke up, as Seven Samurai was finishing up. I hadn't slept a wink! This experience was to forever change something deep within my soul. Needless to say, this ignited a fire that was to burn brighter and still brighter, even to this day (nearly 34 years later).

About this time, Master Kim introduced the practice of bong (staff) to students ranked in blue belt and above. I loved it! The practice of gum (sword) was reserved for black belts only. We learned a basic foundation of techniques, using mok-gum (wooden sword). After about a year I was off to college.

Since those days, I have delved into taijiquan, Olympic-style fencing, iaido, modern Korean gumdo, test cutting and a couple wushu sword forms. Like many contemporary sword enthusiasts, I have done considerable "home-study" through books and videos. I also have an avid interest in Medieval and Renaissance swordsmanship methodologies.

For the last 5 1/2 years I have studied Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan swordsmanship under Sifu Scott M. Rodell. This is now my primary sword art and my deepest passion. While I prefer the jian (straight sword), I respect the powerful attack of the dao (saber), as well. Our study-group is a unique bunch of folks, who have had a wide variety of experience with a variety sf schools of swordsmanship and it shows in our free-play matches. These are two blogs I have kept, following our New England Chinese Swordsmanship practice. Our club's blog: http://nebgrtc.blogspot.com/ and the purely pictorial: http://cssphotos.blogspot.com/

Be well and practice often, Jon Palombi

jonpalombi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Rodell is very well regarded. You are fortunate to have such a good practitioner as your teacher. :)

Best regards, -Mark

Thank you Sir,

Yes, I have been fortunate to have had Scott as my Chinese antiquities dealer, my friend and my Sifu (I actually knew Teacher Rodell for 10 years, before becoming a formal student). His unswerving adherence to traditional authenticity, keeps our system grounded and most genuine. That being said, we are collectively working to re-vitalize the practice of Chinese swordsmanship, with ever broadening horizons. Certainly, the time is ripe for The Traditional Chinese Sword League and it's tournament events. It is high time for Chinese sword-fighting to have an established venue for sincere practitioners.

I am also very fortunate to be a part of our New England Area Chinese Swordsmanship seminar study-group. We have several long-time Taijiquan stylists (both Yang and Chen), some with experience in Baguaquan and Xingyiquan, an Olympic trained epee fencer/ former taijiquan student of Yang Jwing Ming, an Italian Rapier & German Long-sword instructor/ Kenjutsu & Aikido stylist and some of his top students and also... a few Budo students crossing-over from our host dojo, The Brattleboro School of Budo. In this regard, our school is unique. This variety of mixed backgrounds can generate wonderful opportunities for cross-training and a broader scope of possibilities, all the while, training ourselves in the Yangjia Michuan system. Not only are these folks great martial artist & swordsmen, they are just plain great people. It continues to be an honor to practice and learn with them.

Ciao, Jon

Latest Discussions