Which one would you choose?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Which one would you choose?

Why? I'm actually asking hereā€¦ what is the purpose of this thread? Are you just curious as to people's preference? Surely that'll be dictated by the persons experiences and training backgroundā€¦ for those who don't have experience are only basing their answers on imaginationā€¦ besides which, the weapon doesn't maketh the manā€¦ or the warriorā€¦

If it is simple curiosity, that's coolā€¦ but I would probably have put this in the "General" sectionā€¦ this area is more about sword arts themselves, so will typically garner answers from that perspective (a popularity poll isn't going to be overtly successful). That said, my focus has always been Japanese sword artsā€¦ soā€¦ I don't knowā€¦ what's option 5?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say it depends on if any of them are worth anything, if it's got monetary value I'll have it, might not know how to use it but I can sell it. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I have more training in #2 than #1. If it's for a one on one duel without armour, #2 is the best choice for me, due to training and reach. Also objectively, it's the most practical weapon there for such a scenario. It's also the best for such a duel armoured by far. If I were required to draw the sword quickly under duress, then #1 since it's shorter and curved, and I also have training in that. If it's to be paired with a large shield, then #3, since that's what it was designed for, though #2 can be used with a buckler.

I know nothing about the use of a pudao, but I'm sure it's very cool. It would be my last choice due to lack of familiarity and reach. I'm sure in the proper context it would be optimal, but I don't know what that might be.

The grip on the viking sword is too long.
The grip on the Viking sword is too long? Looks like it's just big enough for a hand?

nijima2000

White Belt
Reaction score
I would choose either 1 or 4, I dislike stabbing weapons. I value the ability to slash and cleave. A saber suits me best.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The grip on the Viking sword is too long? Looks like it's just big enough for a hand?

It should be just enough for three fingers if I recall correctly, with the pinky on the pommel. Later Brazil-nut pommels are designed to fit into your wrist. While they look like they'd get in the way, they are very comfortable.