Coming soon to your home: Your Own McDojo!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Attachments

• $B000.jpg
    $B000.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 677

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk I agree this is really too far out for me, does it come with the manual and testing info. NO of course not so how can you call it Black Belt if the kid in the picture is a BB why would he need this get a real bag.

Terry

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It comes with a Training DVD

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
It comes with a Training DVD
that's actually pretty cool.. can you buy a happy meal too?
so next time ur attacked just invite the attacker to play a martial art video game... how about Mortal Kombat!?
i wanna buy one for the 48-Taichi form!

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
If the kid in the picture was a real black belt I would hope his kick would have better form
yah.. they shoulda did a better job with photoshop!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, i have a problem with the toy, and with the kid wearing a black belt. I'd give him a white, maybe with a yellow stripe if i'm feeling generous that day...

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We were at Wal-Mart last night and my wife saw one and asked me if I thought it would be good for the kids. I said, 'Sure, in the same way a tricycle prepares you for an eighteen-wheeler', and she smiled quietly to herself.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
*fights back a wave of nausea at the sight of this travesty*

There are so many things out there that continue to distort and disrepute what true Artists are all about. That's why we have to remain vigilant against such forces and continue to uphold our own integrity.

The World Sokeship Council passed a ruling in 1993 that no longer recognized children under the age of 18 as full black belts. They could hold a junior ranking but would not be considered in the same category as an adult. ... I'm not sure what was decided about how a junior black belt would reach adult black belt ranking once they turned 18. That is probably decided within the system itself.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I always knew Grandmaster Sanchez would hold up well in his later years. Shows what clean living and a kid-size dojo kicking bag will do for ya!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
... I'm not sure what was decided about how a junior black belt would reach adult black belt ranking once they turned 18.
In the WTF, they're called a poome. (junior BB). The process is fairly simple. On your 18th birthday, the Fairy God Mother comes to your house, waives her majic wand, and *poof* the rest is history.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Become a Karate Master at home with the Black Belts Karate Home Studio. Learn blocks, punches, stances, & kicks all in a fun & safe way. Comes complete with a 30 minute action packed video, training mat with easy step by step instructions, and an inflatable heavy bag to master your moves. DVD & VHS available. Become a Karate Master with Tommy Nitro & his team as they teach you the coolest karate moves. Also look out for the Black Belts Karate Gi.
*raises hand in the air* I want one! I want to learn the "coolest karate moves" from Master Tommy Nitro.... NOT! :roflmao:

What's really sad is that some poor kid will buy it thinking that they will really learn how to defend themselves...:(

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw that at Wal-Mart the other day as well! Believe it
or not these things will continue to keep popping up and
parents will continue to buy them! Otherwise the kid will
have to train for a long time to get a legitimate blackbelt,
and that would cost the parents lots of money! All in all,
these kind of gimmick toys are really just a way to keep
the kids busy and out of mom's or dad's hair!

Brian R. VanCise

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I imagine that's about the way it works.

I agree that a younger teenager or child does not have the capacity to internalize all that a black belt ranking entails, no matter how proficient they are. I support the ruling. However, it has then become a matter more of legality than anything else.

Are most 16 yr olds mature enough to drive a car? Not really but it is as much a matter of experience driving as when their birthday falls. Fifty year olds driving for the first time are nearly as dangerous (though less likely to wreck while jammin' out to Ludacris).

Why is it okay to sleep with an 18 yr old girl but not a 17 yr old (depending on the state)? Neither typically have the maturity to make good decisions about such things but there are also exceptions.

I guess with everything a boundary has to be placed somewhere, a guideline for us all to follow to ensure uniformity. I'm a non-conformist myself but I still support the ruling.

So, (18 yrs - 1 day = Junior Ranking) and 18yrs(+)=instant Black Belt.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
*raises hand in the air* I want one! I want to learn the "coolest karate moves" from Master Tommy Nitro.... NOT! :roflmao:

What's really sad is that some poor kid will buy it thinking that they will really learn how to defend themselves...:(
I want to learn in a fun and safe environment...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Become a Karate Master at home with the Black Belts Karate Home Studio. Learn blocks, punches, stances, & kicks all in a fun & safe way. Comes complete with a 30 minute action packed video, training mat with easy step by step instructions, and an inflatable heavy bag to master your moves. DVD & VHS available. Become a Karate Master with Tommy Nitro & his team as they teach you the coolest karate moves. Also look out for the Black Belts Karate Gi.

I like the "easy step by step instructions" bit too.
And just how "heavy" is an "inflatable heavy bag"???

(pounds head on desk)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, it isn't like this is a new problem. Can anyone remember way back in the old comic books when they had the ads to "Learn to be a Karate Master!" or the old ad where the kid gets sand kicked in his face and then goes on the Atlas bodybuilding program to become a superhuman hulk?

Things like this will always be here. It's our mission as knights of The Art to defend it from such ignorance.

... and, no, I'm not suggesting we stage a ninja-style raid on Wal-Mart! ... But, if we do, I can really help out 'cause I got these cool x-ray glasses outta my comic book!