Which FMA Teacher Has Made The Greatest Impact on the FMA's?

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
oh, and what about ben largusa? he was the first to demonstrate the art in ed parker's tournaments. i just read that on largusa's web site.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
even bruce lee brought the idea of kali forward in enter the dragon, with his use of the double batons. even though he wasnt a filipino stylist.

Actually, according to Guro Inosanto, Lee was utterly nonplussed about kali. And hadn't looked into it himself when he picked up the two sticks and started doing his thing. Inosanto remarked "hey, you're doing largo mano!" Lee replied that he was simply doing his thing with the sticks. Implying that any resemblance to kali was completely coincidental.

That said, any double stick work on screen is going to be attributed to kali, for better or worse. I remember when "The Perfect Weapon" came out in theaters. Our local EPAK teachers came out and did demos. I was chatting with them afterward when people started coming up and asking whether Speakman did kali (much to their annoyance). What he does in that movie doesn't especially resemble kali. But two sticks equals FMA to John Q Public. (The segment of the public that's ever even heard of kali, that is.)

Stuart

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i agree. that is why i wrote, that he brought the idea of kali. i know that he didnt think much of the filipino arts because he felt that they were too predictable and rhythmic. i was just making the point that yes, what people see on the screen that even barely resembles filipino arts at least does excite them to maybe investigate it more. perfect weapon was a good point. i did a kali demo at the opening of perfect weapon in west palm beach fl with my instructor. we did this demo with sean kelly of lake worth fl. he is an kenpo instructor there.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i agree. that is why i wrote, that he brought the idea of kali. i know that he didnt think much of the filipino arts because he felt that they were too predictable and rhythmic. i was just making the point that yes, what people see on the screen that even barely resembles filipino arts at least does excite them to maybe investigate it more. perfect weapon was a good point. i did a kali demo at the opening of perfect weapon in west palm beach fl with my instructor. we did this demo with sean kelly of lake worth fl. he is an kenpo instructor there.

Ah, I see what you're saying.

Ironically, many of the movie fight scenes lately that actually ARE using FMA don't get attributed properly because they AREN'T using double sticks.

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i used to work at walmart in electronics where i live and i pointed out to people that they used the filipino arts in movies such as the bourne identity and the hunted. then i tried to explain a little of what the filipino arts were. it made for some fun conversations while i worked..lol... the hunted was really good. i got to train with chris sayoc in wpb fl in 1991 during a seminar at our school. his father, bo, used to come over from naples with some of his students to attend seminars and bo taught a seminar once as well. really nice people. bo sent me a christmas card one year while i was living in illinois. i was sorry to hear that he passed on.
the use of the weapons phase of kali, (and i use the term kali like one would say kung fu or karate) hasnt really been exploited as much as it could be. jeff imada has made an impact of film work as both stuntman and choreagrapher, and has used the filipino arts in various movies. there was a movie in the 70's with roland dante that featured some kali but it could have been much better.
they have the ip man movie out, maybe they should do a floro villabrille movie. he was something else, from all the accounts i have read. maybe someone will write a script for "the kali kid". i havent enough experience with screenplay writing or i would. i have had ideas for a story like that and dabble in writing short stories for my own amusement. i think i would turn out better than the karate kid. but, i really liked the idea of that original film. it was well done, even though a little hokey. i liked the idea behind the film, i should say. i would have never picked ralph machio for the role....

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yes! that is the one. i have that too. i remember it coming out because i read an article in the old fighting stars magazine in the 70's. i miss the older magazines. there seemed to be better interviewing going on then. or maybe it was less politics...im not sure. i had a collection of black belt magazines from 64-77, all the karate illustrated and official karate magazine that came out from 69-77, and every other one that came out in illinois then, like masters of self defense, oriental fighting arts, fighting stars and so on. for some reason we never got inside kung fu in our town. later when i found out about it i was really aggravated. it was one of my favorite magazines.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, according to Guro Inosanto, Lee was utterly nonplussed about kali. And hadn't looked into it himself when he picked up the two sticks and started doing his thing. Inosanto remarked "hey, you're doing largo mano!" Lee replied that he was simply doing his thing with the sticks. Implying that any resemblance to kali was completely coincidental.

That said, any double stick work on screen is going to be attributed to kali, for better or worse. I remember when "The Perfect Weapon" came out in theaters. Our local EPAK teachers came out and did demos. I was chatting with them afterward when people started coming up and asking whether Speakman did kali (much to their annoyance). What he does in that movie doesn't especially resemble kali. But two sticks equals FMA to John Q Public. (The segment of the public that's ever even heard of kali, that is.)

Stuart

Stuart,

The Pefect Weapon and Speakman had those comments as the pattern (sinawali) he did apears in multiple arts. If it was not influenced, I wonder about the creation process. Good ideas come about when they are ready, and can be done independantly.

Thanks

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Stuart,

The Pefect Weapon and Speakman had those comments as the pattern (sinawali) he did apears in multiple arts. If it was not influenced, I wonder about the creation process. Good ideas come about when they are ready, and can be done independantly.

Thanks

Oh sure. I'm not suggesting there's no relation. Just stating that the EPAK teachers (in this particular case) were annoyed by the implication that, if it was double stick, it must be kali. (Whether they were rightly or wrongly annoyed at the implication is a different question.) And I agree that certain patterns are inevitable given the same tools. That said, with experience, it's not difficult to spot the differences between krabi krabong and ni ten ichi kenjutsu (despite the fact that both are using two swords) or FMA solo baston and la canne (despite the fact that both are using a single stick).

I'm not sure I've heard the story of how double stick and double knife came to be introduced to EPAK. I've never studied it myself, so my exposure to its history is limited to the really obvious points.

Lots of styles have telling stylistic nuances. I'm simply saying that what influences the public is their perception (based on whatever level of insight into what they're watching) of what they're watching. So that, I'm almost sure that the Bourne trilogy did wonders for enrollment at krav maga schools, despite the fact that people familiar with Jeff Imada (or anyone who watched the extra features) would know that it wasn't krav maga being used for the movie.

Stuart

chris arena

Green Belt
Reaction score
Although I am primarily of Modern Arnis background. I feel that we have left out Manong Angel Cabales,Leo Giron and Max Saramiento. They had the first Eskrima School in the US. Dan Inasanto even came to them for lessons.

These men should definately be on this list. It is a shame that his art dild not start to grow until after his death. They were the original pioneers. Prior to the others.

Chris Arena

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Although I am primarily of Modern Arnis background. I feel that we have left out Manong Angel Cabales,Leo Giron and Max Saramiento.

I dunno about that. Guros Leo Giron and Angel Cabales are mentioned multiple times on pages 2 and 3 of this discussion. Max Sarmiento wasn't, it's true. :)

edgedweapons

White Belt
Reaction score
Crafty Dog, Head Instructor of the Dog Brothers has made a Huge impact in my opinion. His Gatherings, Teachings, and Character has Impacted Many