Do you do FMA with another MA?

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
i started out in escrima back in gradeschool in the late eighties. Dropped it in highschool. Trained here and there with people i know that did other arts and people in the family. Yes, even someone allowed to instruct and higher belts. Pretty much kung fu mma/whaterver else. Nothing in depth. But didn't go back to formal classes. started in a little boxing as well. But never serious just some friendly sparring. wrestled in highschool as well.

so basically i crossed but know nothing in depth, and am basically non existant far as practicing any real art. Which is why when asked i basically say i know little to nothing. It isn't because i couldnt take down someone who has trained better i have done that. i honestly dont even know what i would be considered however. And it actually makes me somewhat lost on this forum as well.

i would be careful. Learn one really well perhaps and then cross into another. Otherwise you might end up becoming a hack. (like me!)Or if you cross train don't stop or fill your plate too much as you take away from progress in any particuliar. Many of the things i know, and have showed others i don't even know what they are, where they come from, what they are called. In fact in some cases i think i am telling people things contrary to what they should be learning. Right down to balance of weight. i always tell people to keep the weight on the back foot. So as in case someone sweeps the front you can react.

Dont kick high because experienced fighters may see that as a op to step in and take you down. They get you off balance the fight is over. Don't hold your hands complete into a fist. It limits your ability to striking and is just a bad habit. Or holding your hands up for protection. I always keep one down. Perhaps something from the ratten sticks i never stopped doing so when i see someone with both fists up, weight evenly dispersed it sends of a warning bell in my head. lol But if they go to kick me or attack from that posture to me i see a easy opportunity.
I think i am giving my daughter a complex though. she started taekwondo as i mentioned in another thread. Everytime i "pretend fight" with her and she goes to roundhouse or snap kick i show her how i can take her down.. Or more to the point i will just lay on the ground and tell her to attack me. "so what you going to do now?" Things i actually learned from a friend and cousin who made it into the black belts, one in taekwondo and i caught on from sparring with them. I probably should stop doing that. she needs the confidence and to learn taekwondo without doubting her instructors and what they are teaching. And to learn it well without confusion.. It is hard to just let her do things though because the red warnings go up when i watch her practice or "pretend fight" and my first instinct is to show her. I am waiting for her first competition to see how she does and what techniques she remembers or uses from taekwondo. Or what falls into place from the hack methods i have taught her. I kinda hope someone goes to kick her and dads teaching comes into play and she brings them down. I wont kid you. i know . i know......

course here is the problem if you DON'T cross train. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlleDPgmDVM&feature=related

Last edited:

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
My upbringing was TKD, Muay Thai and any dirty trick I could make work.

My core style is Combat/Aiki Jujutsu.

For the last 10 years I have known Prof. Dave Wink and have had varying levels of crosstraining under him in Pekiti Tarsia and Silat, the lat 4 being the most dedicated.

It works great with jujutsu, gives us a much better footwork and entry methodology, better atemi (strikes) and of coarse weapon's training that carries over to multiple dedicated and improvissed weapons and empty hand.

It's at the point in my study where it is now about bettering and perfecting the Jujutsu technique and principles that I have learned from my former Sensei and departed Sempai, whereas FMA is now my dedicated "Learner" art and spend the most of my solo training on.

Latest Discussions