Where's the Beef?

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am truly disapointed nobody has brought up the RULE SET in Kyokushin tournaments being DEVASTATINGLY RESTRICTIVE :barf: to the Wing Chunner. Man, you guys get worked up whenever Wing Chun competing in MMA gets brought up, and how those HUGELY CUMBERSOME 4 oz gloves would be to the WC artist and because you cannot gouge eyeballs out, yet in Kyok tourneys, YOU CANNOT EVEN PUNCH TO THE FACE! :mst: So, you have a three chunner's facing guys that train in one of the most HARDCORE (if not the HARDEST CORE) style of Karate in matches which fit the rules of their skill set. They were undersized and not physical specimens by any stretch. Kyok guys are known for good stamina and the ability to give and withstand punishment to the body....since they train for this almost entirely! Of course the WC guy will lose his **** in this scenario as did the Muay Thai guys in another Mas Oyama challenge of that era. Those competitions were heavily tilted to the Kyok guys as the challenges were fought under their own rules.

I guess what I am saying is that this Kyokushin vs Wing Chun tournament would be comparable to the MLB World Series champions taking on a 12 year old boy's recreational league's "also ran".

....I won't touch the YouTuber's comments. You know, the "THAT AIN'T WING CHUN! HIS LEFT PINKY FINGER WAS WAY OUT OF STRUCTURE!!! WAAA WAAA WAAAA!"

Respect to those guys for taking to the ring for the challenge. At least they had the balls to fight and stand up for their style instead of bashing their brothers trying to do the same and putting themselves out there to be critiqued.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am truly disapointed nobody has brought up the RULE SET in Kyokushin tournaments being DEVASTATINGLY RESTRICTIVE :barf: to the Wing Chunner. Man, you guys get worked up whenever Wing Chun competing in MMA gets brought up, and how those HUGELY CUMBERSOME 4 oz gloves would be to the WC artist and because you cannot gouge eyeballs out, yet in Kyok tourneys, YOU CANNOT EVEN PUNCH TO THE FACE! :mst: So, you have a three chunner's facing guys that train in one of the most HARDCORE (if not the HARDEST CORE) style of Karate in matches which fit the rules of their skill set. They were undersized and not physical specimens by any stretch. Kyok guys are known for good stamina and the ability to give and withstand punishment to the body....since they train for this almost entirely! Of course the WC guy will lose his **** in this scenario as did the Muay Thai guys in another Mas Oyama challenge of that era. Those competitions were heavily tilted to the Kyok guys as the challenges were fought under their own rules.

I guess what I am saying is that this Kyokushin vs Wing Chun tournament would be comparable to the MLB World Series champions taking on a 12 year old boy's recreational league's "also ran".

....I won't touch the YouTuber's comments. You know, the "THAT AIN'T WING CHUN! HIS LEFT PINKY FINGER WAS WAY OUT OF STRUCTURE!!! WAAA WAAA WAAAA!"

Respect to those guys for taking to the ring for the challenge. At least they had the balls to fight and stand up for their style instead of bashing their brothers trying to do the same and putting themselves out there to be critiqued.

Dungeon dude! I dont know whether you caught my previous posts where I stated several times that Ive competed in Kyokushinkai tournaments (knockdown). I used wing chun quite a lot.

With regards to the rules, the ones that were in place at the time did not allow the opening of the hand or strikes to the head. This of course took many of the strikes used in wing chun out of the question but I kind of made it work. I admit that I did use non wing chun techniques (side kicks etc)

That is trouble with the wing chun in the cage argument – you can adapt your wing chun to be effective in the cage as long as you are willing to merge it with other arts
Most chunners would call this a sin and so never bother

Wing chun on its own would struggle in competitions because it is not designed for that. In the same way that an average boxer would find it hard fighting a mugger in the street with his gloves on. He could do it, but he would have limitations.

Chunners do often to make out that their art is far too deadly to get into competition but this is not a valid reason. Every art can be deadly (a choke in BJJ can kill you if held for too long etc), but the reason that ‘pure’ wing chun could not be used vs an MMA guy is that it is like holding an old revolver up against someone who has an AK47

No matter how good you are at using that revolver, the AK47 would win through!

I think that chunners do need to step out and try other arts, or other chun federations. If you get your butt handed to you, who cares, you learn from it and develop!

A certain Ip Man (who thought his wing chun was good at a young age) was beaten by Leung Bik but went on to learn from him

Latest Discussions